View Poll Results: Where should our military forces be aimed?
Focus on Germany! Peace with Rome ASAP! 11 36.67%
Focus on Rome! Delay the war with Germany till Caesar's dragged before our SMC! 3 10.00%
Two front war, focusing on Germany! 14 46.67%
Two front war, 0 0%
Peace, dude. (No war with Germany, peace with Rome ASAP) 2 6.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 14, 2002, 01:10   #1
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Local Time: 07:34
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Which War?
CLARIFICATION: THE FOURTH OPTION IS "Two Front War, focusing on Rome" (Why must I mess up something every time I create a poll?)

We must decide whether we treat Rome's hostilities as another bump in the road, like the Zulu, or whether we avenge ourselves.

This poll is completely unofficial, but I'll tell you it lasts 3 days anyway.

Last edited by Kloreep; December 14, 2002 at 01:24.
Old December 14, 2002, 01:25   #2
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 09:34
I dont voted yet. I'm not sure.
It's only a game, I know that, but...
KILL THE ROMAN BASTARDS!

Oh, yeah, about the Germans:
Kill them, too.

Well, I feel better now...
Old December 14, 2002, 01:29   #3
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Another note: It's possible we can finish with Rome quickly and then take on Germany, both one at a time. I made the poll thinking people would vote assuming that WASN'T possible, and we would have to take on both at once. If we decide on a two-front with a focus on Rome but finish quickly, we can just go straight on to Germany.

Anyway... I'm undecided. I definitely say focus on Germany, but I'll wait to see some arguments before I vote for or against allowing a two-front war.
Old December 14, 2002, 01:34   #4
Donegeal
PtWDG Glory of WarC4DG VoxApolyCon 06 ParticipantsC4BtSDG TemplarsSpore
Emperor

Local Time: 12:34
In the save post, it says we have several MPP's. What are the MPP involved on both sides. Also, are there any MPP's with Germany?
Old December 14, 2002, 01:47   #5
Kloreep
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by donegeal
In the save post, it says we have several MPP's. What are the MPP involved on both sides. Also, are there any MPP's with Germany?
Russia, Iroquis, England, and Japan have all signed MPPs with us. Rome also has MPPs with England and Japan, but by making them take the first move, ours should be triggered first.
Old December 14, 2002, 01:53   #6
Kloreep
Emperor

Well, I decided to vote for a 2 front - focus on Germany. Rome will trigger our MPPs soon, and there'll be no going back after that; but the war with Germany must go forward. Russia should be able to keep Rome busy for a while, and we could consider an alliance with the Iroquis as well.
Old December 14, 2002, 04:10   #7
Donegeal
PtWDG Glory of WarC4DG VoxApolyCon 06 ParticipantsC4BtSDG TemplarsSpore
Emperor

Local Time: 12:34
IIRC, there is also a Russian Cav (or is it a horseman?) in our borders. We must consider the possibility that the Ruskies will attack us (just because we have a MPP with then, doesn't mean they won't go to war with us). Who do the Russkies have MPP's with?

EDITED:

Oh yeah, if we do a two front war (emphasis on Germany), we might want to consider giving the Iroquis tech to make them more of a challange to Rome.
Old December 14, 2002, 04:15   #8
Meshelic
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 04:34
Rome attacked us? I must be a ways down on the info-chain.

In light of my suspicion, peace w/Rome focus on Germany.

/edit okay I read the other thread. I still think peace w/Rome is a good idea, but in light of this recent invasion I think we need to at least destroy their invading forces. Decimate their intruding armies, then decide where to go from there.

Last edited by Meshelic; December 14, 2002 at 05:27.
Old December 14, 2002, 08:22   #9
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Meshelic
... Decimate their intruding armies, then decide where to go from there.
the city of Rome seems to be a good place to go from there...
Old December 14, 2002, 08:40   #10
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 14:34
Just take into consideration the fact that if the MPPs that we signed are triggered then we won't have a chance but to continue the war with Rome until the MPPs expire (unless we are willing to kill our clean rep).
- Phantom of the Opera
Old December 14, 2002, 08:57   #11
Aro
lifer
Emperor

You're right, Shiber. But we need to level the Germans, in order to achieve tech lead and stop a potential threat (one of the most dangerous!).
So... We'll have a World War in our hands.
Old December 14, 2002, 09:00   #12
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Yes, I'm all in favor of bonking some German heads, but I'd like to see us sign peace with Rome for now, if that turns out to be possible. If not, then by all means let's show Ceaser what we're made of!
- Phantom of the Opera
Old December 14, 2002, 09:07   #13
zeit
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 13:34
Ah, World War at its best

Although this might be ratehr inconvenient right now, this war with Rome sure is a cool thing- perhaps a secret alliance between Rome and Germany- to deter our effort against Otto and keep hin in the picture?

Damn that AI is smart.

But nothing will stop us now, if they want a world war, let them have it!!!

Seriously though, we should focus on germany, and sign peace with Rome ASAP, we don't want to waste the MPP we already have with a war with Rome we are sure to easily beat anyway...
Old December 14, 2002, 10:49   #14
roadcage
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 06:34
We really have no choice about Rome. We simply must remain involved. If we don't, somebody will emerge out of the chaos in the south as a major player. We need to take enough of Rome for ourselves to ensure against that.
Old December 14, 2002, 11:31   #15
E_T
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 08:34
I suggest, while we concentrate on Germany, that we only fight a defensive war against Rome. Up to this date, we have only seen ground units (Rifle, Muskets & Legion). We have repulused most of Rome's Military from our lands (except for a couple of Rifles in the Forrest).

With the MPP's activating shortly, Rome will be too busy with Russia & The Iroquois to be much of a bother to us, in the near term. .

We should continue with the Plans against Germany. ALL of our Standing Army has been upgraded to Riflemen, so we have a defensive advantage. We will have RP in 3 turns and have a large cash base to make more upgrades when we get the tech.

Germany is our Goal and Rome is just a speed bump, but not as small as THe Zulu where.

E_T
Old December 14, 2002, 12:57   #16
Shiber
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by roadcage
We really have no choice about Rome. We simply must remain involved. If we don't, somebody will emerge out of the chaos in the south as a major player. We need to take enough of Rome for ourselves to ensure against that.
You have a point.
Let's send some fast units to kill as many Roman units as possible in the shortest amount of time possible, and when (or rather, if) peace is possible, rob Ceaser's ass in the peace negotiations in order to weaken him as much as possible. This will help the Russians and Iroquois to a certain degree, so that they can at least hold off Rome.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old December 14, 2002, 14:09   #17
Jonny
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG The Lost Boys

Quote:
Originally posted by Shiber
You have a point.
Let's send some fast units to kill as many Roman units as possible in the shortest amount of time possible, and when (or rather, if) peace is possible, rob Ceaser's ass in the peace negotiations in order to weaken him as much as possible. This will help the Russians and Iroquois to a certain degree, so that they can at least hold off Rome.
I agree.

Let's try to get as much as we can out of Caesar in the shortest amount of time possible. Then, we can turn our attention towards Germany.
Old December 14, 2002, 14:48   #18
roadcage
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Prince

You all missed the point. Whether we like it or not, our MPP's say that we gotta do the full 20 turns without hope of parole. But this prospect need not be painful nor require significant unit committment to the south.

See
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=70914
Old December 14, 2002, 15:13   #19
Shiber
Emperor

Well, you missed my post. I addressed this issue earlier, and I've also raised the possibility that the MPPs might not be triggered against Rome. IIRC MPPs are triggered when an enemy attacks one of your units inside your territory, and that may not even happen in this conflict.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old December 14, 2002, 15:49   #20
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

hi ,

two fronts , focus on germany , but NOT before we have more units in our armed bananas , ........

have a nice day
Old December 14, 2002, 18:19   #21
Kloreep
Emperor

It would be good if we could avoid activating MPPs vs. Rome, but I'm not so sure we can do that. Rome won't talk for at least several more turns, and as buggy as the AI is in 1.21 (treating upgraded Muskets through Mech Infantry as offense units), Rome must have some Cavalry it simply didn't devote to this assault. We have no idea where these Cavalry will strike, and all it takes is one attack.

I don't think a two-front would be that bad. Slow Riflemen, which will probably be the assaulter of choice along with Legions, are easy to pick off with bombardment, and while Cav can swoop in, the AI generally leaves them vulnerable to human maneuvering. We have a limited border at the neck of Abanaba Minor, and Russia hasn't had their GA yet (doesn't have the wonders, and Cossacks have only just arrived), so that will help them fend off the Romans. (On the other hand, the Romans may not have had a GA either; I don't remember.)
Old December 15, 2002, 01:09   #22
pikesfan
Prince

Gosh, what a see-saw poll. What will you do if it ends up tied and I’m the swing voter?

Old December 15, 2002, 01:10   #23
Meshelic
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Quote:
Originally posted by pikesfan
Gosh, what a see-saw poll. What will you do if it ends up tied and I’m the swing voter?

We'd have to kill the hippie.
Old December 15, 2002, 01:14   #24
pikesfan
Prince

But then you’d still be tied and you’d end up with a Serbian election.

Peace through deadlock
Old December 15, 2002, 02:38   #25
Kloreep
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by pikesfan
Gosh, what a see-saw poll.
Yep. It's really swung around a lot.

At least everyone agrees we hate Bismark's guts. Even if Caesar the Betrayer may be more liked.

Come on, people, don't let him get away with it! Our superior bombardment strategy means we can get off fighting an easy defensive war while Rome and Russia pummel each other!

Quote:
What will you do if it ends up tied and I’m the swing voter?

Then your bank account piles up. (Unless Meshelic is secretly still in control of the supposedly disbanded Shadow Service.)
Old December 15, 2002, 02:44   #26
Meshelic
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Kloreep

Then your bank account piles up. (Unless Meshelic is secretly still in control of the supposedly disbanded Shadow Service.)
RP

Huh? what? Shadow Service? Who are those guys? *scans the room to see if anyone notices him feign surprise, which they all did*

Umm...I've never heard of them?....

RP
Old December 15, 2002, 13:22   #27
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Meshelic

RP

Huh? what? Shadow Service? Who are those guys? *scans the room to see if anyone notices him feign surprise, which they all did*

Umm...I've never heard of them?....

RP
hi ,

look meshalic , stop to divert funds , and get some money in the army , the armed forces are in a poor state , and do something about the navy , the money invested in the ships has only been used to buy wood , wood that is now rotting away at the docks , ......

the army aint asking a lot , just some money to train some new units , the rest of the money can stay with you , ........

now , two fronts can be done , but we need to do something with the army , ..... its to small

have a nice day
Old December 15, 2002, 15:24   #28
ManicStarSeed
C4DG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityBtS Tri-League
Prince

Wow, things can change quick around here.
I say fight a defensive war with rome for now and let the MMPs activate.
Keep an eye on the SW front, but let our "allies" do the work.
Focus on our german objecticves. Once we break germany and our allies are mopping Otto up, we can turn more attention to Rome.

Mobilization (once we get the build on ToE going) might be in order. All we need is peace with one nation to bring us out of it.

As for the MMPs, we can wait and see if the AIs make peace first before making peace so the AI will take the rep hit.

Mss
Old December 15, 2002, 17:28   #29
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by ManicStarSeed
Wow, things can change quick around here.
I say fight a defensive war with rome for now and let the MMPs activate.
Keep an eye on the SW front, but let our "allies" do the work.
Focus on our german objecticves. Once we break germany and our allies are mopping Otto up, we can turn more attention to Rome.

Mobilization (once we get the build on ToE going) might be in order. All we need is peace with one nation to bring us out of it.

As for the MMPs, we can wait and see if the AIs make peace first before making peace so the AI will take the rep hit.

Mss
hi ,

we have to be carefull with letting the "allies" do most of the work , ..... they shall remember that for a very long time , .........

have a nice day
Old December 16, 2002, 11:34   #30
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Fight defensively with Rome at least until the MPPs are activated.

Also, perhaps some more nations should be added to the MPP list considering Rome's treachery.

(I'm not positive though, I haven't downloaded the latest save yet or finished going thru messages.)