Old December 14, 2002, 01:40   #1
cavebear
Civilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 07:34
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The Tale of the Years - 1814 AD
The Tale of the Years -

1800 - Adjusted Workers for best productivity. Wool to Samarkand (Mongol) 384 gold. Coal to Samarkand 67 gold. Coal to Samarkand 106 gold. Cloth to Samarkand 144 gold. Move Dips to ships.

1802 - Carth govt overthrown. Mongols start Women's Sufferage. We discover Corporation, start Electricity (tech closest to top of desired list). Caravans upgrade to Freight. And Electricity will kill that blasted GL! Loading more shiops with Freight and Dips.

1804 - Carths become a Republic. Mongols get Corporation and Celts get it from GL. I am collecting Freight at CAPITOL for next Wonder. Bribe Barb Musketeer for 61 gold. Tip Hut and get NONE Dragoon (cool). Connecting cities with RR.

1806 - Carths get University. Issus is attacked by Barb Crusaders from nowhere! Bribe Barb Musketeer for 61 gold. Bribe 2 Barb Crusaders at 82 gold each and can use 1 to kill a Barb Crusader. Copper to Nagoya 212 gold, Spice to Nagoya 318 gold. Bribe barb Musketeer at Freeport for 61 gold. Mongol Catapault near Naples!

1808 - Chinese get Leadership from Japanese and give them Industrialization in return. Celts capture Issus from us and 30 gold. Japanese start Women's Sufferage. We discover Electricity and end that d*mned GL. We start Conscription (only offerred tech on the list and we need stronger defense with all these barb attacks). Bvribe another Barb Musketeer for 61 gold. These bribed Barb Musketeers are all from Cartenna, BTW.

1810 - Chinese get Magnetism. Celt govt overthrown. Bribe another Barb Musketeer for 61 gold (I'm collecting an assault force to take Issus back). Coal to Canton 180 gold. Wool to Canton 72 gold. Freeport Crusader kills 2 Barbs and gets Vet status. Kill Barb Crusader near Naples.

1812 - Musketeer killed in Cartegena. Celts discover Theory of Gravity. Celts become Democracy. We kill 2 Barbs at Cartegena. Bribe Barb Musketeer at Categena for 61 gold (seems to be a rather standard price). Gems to Beijing 182 gold. Dye to Beijing 364 gold.

1814 - We discover Conscription and start Refining (not on list, but is required for Combustion which is on list). Other offerred techs not on list. All Musketeers upgraded to Riflemen! Start Women's Sufferage in CAPITOL to get shield accumulated for our next Wonder. Attack a Barb Musketeer at Sarragossa with a Crusader and the Crusader dies!? Salt to Beijing 136 gold.

We are being atacked by Barbs all over the place and it is becoming a real problem. There are more approaching several cities from several turns away. I need the Minister of War to pay special attention to this problem. I can cope with Barbs, but that is not the best part of my game. We have a transport of 4 Riflemen and a Dip and a 2nd transport of several Dips closing in on Issus to take it back. We can choose to do that or not (I mean, we have the ability but are not committed). The game has suddenly become more complicated, but the Barbs are a far greater problem than the AI Civs at the moment.

I've gotten us a lot of gold (4464), we are moving techs at a science rate of 4 turns but a net rate (because of Freight trade routes) of 2 or 3 turns. On the other hand, we have a temporary lull in establishing new trade routes, so figure 4 turns per tech for the next session. Our shield production has been increased about 25% and new Marketplaces/Libraries/University are being built in 11 cities.

That's the best I could do on the first session. I'm really annoyed at losing Issus!

President Cavebear
Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul
Old December 14, 2002, 01:47   #2
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

its a shame you didn't get a chance to steal leadership this round, it would help with the fighting of the barbs and for retaking Issus
Old December 14, 2002, 01:52   #3
cavebear
Emperor

There are Dips heading toward the Celts to steal Leadership. They just haven't gotten there yet.

Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Old December 14, 2002, 02:06   #4
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

excellent
Old December 14, 2002, 08:27   #5
shade
King

Local Time: 13:34
Very nice

Those Celts seem like they want to get killed...
(It's a shame they are in Demo.. )But I believe we should try to get Issus back and make a fort of it...let them kill their units against our citywalls

Shade
Old December 14, 2002, 09:06   #6
mrboo123
Rise of Nations MultiplayerC4DG VoxCiv4 SP Democracy GameNationStates
King

Local Time: 06:34
very nice
Old December 15, 2002, 04:59   #7
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Good job.
Old December 15, 2002, 09:19   #8
mrboo123
King

When are the polls going to be posted?
Old December 15, 2002, 10:42   #9
H Tower

absolutely nothing has changed from a foriegn ministry point of view, the same report will be used again
Old December 15, 2002, 18:32   #10
cavebear
Emperor

I hope the Ministers of War, Science, and Trade can find something to poll about very soon. Otherwise, perhaps I should just play another session tomorrow to clarify the situations we need to discuss through polls and posts...

Two days without polls suggests that there aren't pressing questions to be answered. Shall I just move along with the game or wait? Quite frankly, the only thing I can think of that has changed is what to do about Issus and whether to build coastal fortresses in each appropriate city (using our gold to buy them.

Shall I play a session tomorrow or wait?
Old December 15, 2002, 21:34   #11
mrboo123
King

wait... no more than 2 days, if a poll isn't started in those 2 days, play again...
Old December 15, 2002, 23:13   #12
H Tower

Quote:
Originally posted by cavebear
Shall I play a session tomorrow or wait?
i think science should be set, -JRabbit gave you a list of nine techs to research. I can't believe the MOW isn't formulating a report after we lost a city to the AI
Old December 15, 2002, 23:39   #13
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Cavebear:

Give me a chance to look at the save first before you go ahead and play. I might have some recommendations to make regarding workers and city production.

I disagree with the use of Coastal Fortresses. The exception is for a city close to our enemies, that should attract the majority of enemy ships. We are close to combustion, so we can just sink all the Clads with submarines. This is cheaper, but the drawback is the unhappiness caused by subs away from home.

Perhaps that can be the subject for a poll!
Old December 16, 2002, 01:16   #14
geoffrey arnold
Call to Power MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCall to Power PBEMCivilization II PBEMCivilization II MultiplayerCall to Power Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 22:34
I think for the barb prob we should rush buy some dips and buy the barbs off
Old December 16, 2002, 12:27   #15
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

My thread will be ready be tommorrow. I just got the turn.
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old December 16, 2002, 14:12   #16
cavebear
Emperor

No problem. I wasn't in a rush to play again so soon myself. I was just wondering if the other Ministers felt their previous polls still were applicable. I'd rather wait and see some polls based on the new situation.

Old December 16, 2002, 14:21   #17
H Tower

Unless something major happened that isn't in the turn by turn report, the foriegn ministry report is still very uptodate
Old December 16, 2002, 16:17   #18
cavebear
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by geoffrey arnold
I think for the barb prob we should rush buy some dips and buy the barbs off
The problem with that is the newly bribed units add to the shield demand on the nearest city, and can also cause real unhappiness problems while they are out of the city. I had to disband a couple of bribed barbs because the city went into revolt and was going to crash our Government. The ones from the actual barb city are far away enough to be NONE units, but the attacking ones aren't.

Old December 16, 2002, 16:27   #19
cavebear
Emperor

The Ministries of Foreign Affairs and Science seem to still be valid (I agree). The Minister of Imperial Expansion and of Trade (Earwicker) is having some trouble reading the game file (doesn't have his MGE CD available at the moment). I'll look forward to polls/reports from the Mniisters of War and of City-Planning as soon as they have a chance.

College exam time always has an effect on our game...

Old December 16, 2002, 17:18   #20
H Tower

has earwicker tried the no-cd patch?
Old December 17, 2002, 09:53   #21
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

Will check our tech path and open a WoW discussion later today.

It's well worthwhile to send dips off to meet barbs away from our cities. NONE units rule in a Democracy!

Great session, cavebear!

"The Borg are gay." -Drake Tungsten
Old December 17, 2002, 16:39   #22
JCP
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameMacCivilization II Succession GamesScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Multiplayer
Prince

Local Time: 14:34
A good session, indeed.
Pb : Issus was alone, and no diplo there to buy back before Celts in democracy !
We have to fight hard !
...with Ironclads ?