Old December 14, 2002, 17:24   #1
Shr3dZ
Warlord

Local Time: 12:36
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Wheres the Dominating ?!
I have no idea how this loss is possible, I thoght a Domination Victory required a civ to have something like 66% of the land mass - which is obviously not happening in this game. Now, should I feel like an idiot for posting this question, or is something wrong here?
Old December 14, 2002, 17:52   #2
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 06:36
You have found a bug, maybe.

Are you playing a mod or scenario?

Can you post a save just before that point?
Old December 14, 2002, 18:07   #3
Shr3dZ
Warlord

Everything in my Civ3 is default beside the latest patch, no mods, no new terrain, nothing.

I replayed the last couple turns before my 'defeat', and the reason the screen is focused on the Persians is b/c they just builts a Great Wonder, I think it was Magellans Ex. - that might be related.

If I hosted my .sav right, here you go:
http://shredz2001.homestead.com/file...-Dominated.SAV

*EDIT: In the .sav file, the score of the Ottomans goes from 730ish to 1400ish in 1 turn IIRC.*

Last edited by Shr3dZ; December 14, 2002 at 19:30.
Old December 14, 2002, 20:22   #4
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 05:36
Maybe it meant to say cultural victory? Did they have enough culture points to win?
Old December 14, 2002, 20:33   #5
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 08:36
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
How the heck did you get to 1480AD in under two hours?
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old December 14, 2002, 20:41   #6
Shr3dZ
Warlord

The total Culture of my civ was 10,000 as Babylon, if any other civ could beat that...

Quote:
How the heck did you get to 1480AD in under two hours?
That my friend, is the beauty of a small map. Plus Im the builder type, no wars at all so far and all my neighbors were 'gracious'.

Its really unfortunate this happened, I was looking forward to finishing this game, I had 5 luxuries, 2 strategic, and game... once I got thru the early stages of the game, I started trading all my extra lux. for techs, totally caught up, and was now in the lead with about 4-5 techs....
Old December 14, 2002, 20:46   #7
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

The save you posted is of Lincoln of the Americans in 580ad on a humungous world.
Old December 14, 2002, 20:56   #8
Shr3dZ
Warlord

Oh crap, so sorry, I posted my save game from the Civ3 directory instead of Civ3/PtW!

This is the correct one:
http://shredz2001.homestead.com/file...-Dominated.SAV
Old December 14, 2002, 21:58   #9
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 07:36
the ottomans have 347 tiles in their empire (land AND water), and there are 532 land tiles in the game, which doesn't give them 66% of the world (even if all their territory was land). is 66% the magic #?
Old December 14, 2002, 21:59   #10
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

preety cool note though: the ottomans seem to have kicked Persia off the continent and then let them rebuild on another continent... good times
Old December 14, 2002, 22:08   #11
Shr3dZ
Warlord

hehe the Persians came to me asking for a MPP and RoP but I declined, looking back, I shouldve accepted but I had no power... but still, the Ottomans are wildly out of control now.
Old December 15, 2002, 04:08   #12
notyoueither
Deity

Do you remember setting winning by victory points on?

That's what happened. Otto hit 10K victory points.
Old December 15, 2002, 13:27   #13
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 05:36
Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
Do you remember setting winning by victory points on?

That's what happened. Otto hit 10K victory points.
Hmm, could be...but it still seems like a bug that it would say he lost via Domination.
Old December 15, 2002, 15:05   #14
Jvstin
Warlord

It actually happened to me, too.

I was playing Carthage in a game with victory Points on, and doing rather well. I had a decent selection of resources, every time the Romans tried to push and attack me, I repulsed them...and the one time they did take a city, I got it back on a culture flip.

So I was rather surprised when I suddenly was told that I had lost via Domination to the Romans. I was shocked, the Romans had much less territory than the giants in the game (Me, and English).

They won via victory points, too. They had held an additional victory point spot for a while, and it gave them enough to get to 10000 first.

I was not amused.
Old December 15, 2002, 15:26   #15
Shr3dZ
Warlord

Bah, so thats wut happened? He took the Persian capital and a few turns later he has enuf VP to win the game? Hmmm I suppose that is suppose to be for a fast MP game... Ill never do that again.

Thx fer the help...
Old December 15, 2002, 15:42   #16
Jvstin
Warlord

It actually happened to me, too.

I was playing Carthage in a game with victory Points on, and doing rather well. I had a decent selection of resources, every time the Romans tried to push and attack me, I repulsed them...and the one time they did take a city, I got it back on a culture flip.

So I was rather surprised when I suddenly was told that I had lost via Domination to the Romans. I was shocked, the Romans had much less territory than the giants in the game (Me, and English).

They won via victory points, too. They had held an additional victory point spot for a while, and it gave them enough to get to 10000 first.

I was not amused.
Old December 29, 2002, 01:18   #17
dmacika
Settler

Ugh, victory points causes this?
OK, I have been playing PTW for about three weeks and have been having this problem for about a half dozen games. I was confused because I had actually turned off domination and all other victory options except conquest. I was playing with Victory point locations and capture the princess on though. BAD BAD BAD bug. Hope this is fixed in a future patch. I assume turning off Victory point locations will fix this? The games are ending way too soon with it on.