Old December 16, 2002, 14:16   #31
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 08:38
Local Date: November 1, 2010
If xmas date is no better than another date, why do the companies break their butts trying to reach it?
It is well understood that impulse sales will be lost if you are not offering your product during this season.
Shoppers will be in stores like EB that they will not be in at any other time of the year. Other venues such as Walmart will be selling games to people that will not be buying them at other times. This is why they care about making this time frame.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2002, 15:35   #32
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Local Time: 13:38
vmxa: Grummie said that given that they missed x-mas, any date is as good as any other. You don't have a disagreement over this issue.

Old December 16, 2002, 16:57   #33
Kc7mxo
King

Local Time: 07:38
Quote:
given that they missed x-mas, any date is as good as any other. You don't have a disagreement over this issue.
you'll find plenty of disagreement for such a statement on the official moo3 boards.
Kc7mxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2002, 18:03   #34
vmxa1
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by moomin
vmxa: Grummie said that given that they missed x-mas, any date is as good as any other. You don't have a disagreement over this issue.

My mistake.
Old December 17, 2002, 07:09   #35
Grumbold
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Kc7mxo

you'll find plenty of disagreement for such a statement on the official moo3 boards.
"luckily" I can't get an acceptable response speed on those boards so I stay here. I can just imagine how each rumor of another week or two delay has been received. Personally I've found other games to play so "we will release when it's playable" is a pain but acceptable to me. Better than having an unstable or buggy game on my harddrive and pleading for another patch, like certain products on other Apolyton forums
Old December 17, 2002, 07:25   #36
MetalKing
Settler

This release date 28 february reminds me of last yeasr HOMM4, which was delayed till march in similar fashion as MOO3.

I just hope MOO3 won't suck like HOMM4 did.
MetalKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2002, 07:37   #37
Main_Brain
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Free Drones
King

Local Time: 14:38
I just fired up the old MoO2 instantly went into OMT-Mode and all I have to say:
if it turns out to be as good I will be playing it for Years to come so no need to hurry.
Have it done right test it, stabilize it, MP it, bring a game I dont need to patch to get it working and I'll wait for it.

But please.. dont let me get MoO3 and DN4ever on the same day :=)
Old December 17, 2002, 07:38   #38
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 23:38
Quote:
Originally posted by Grumbold
Better than having an unstable or buggy game on my harddrive and pleading for another patch, like certain products on other Apolyton forums
Yes, nothing is worse than having a product and still having to wait for it to be released.
Old December 17, 2002, 12:28   #39
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

That's signature material right there, SB!
Old December 17, 2002, 14:02   #40
vmxa1
Deity

DNF will not collide with Moo3 and may be vaporware. It puts one in mind of a game from Ion Storm, finally came out but was DOA.
Old December 17, 2002, 15:33   #41
Tolver
Chieftain

Local Time: 04:38
I went to go look at the official MOO3 web site.

As of 12-17-02,

Best Buy - 1-12-03

CompUSA - 12-19-02

Wall Mart - 02-05-03

Amazon - 01-07-03

GameStop - 01-15-03

EB Games - 01-14-03

Sam Goody - 11-26-02

I perfer the date from Sam Goody, wish I could get into their universe.

Tolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2002, 16:30   #42
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
You know, I keep hearing over and over about the difficulties of preparing a game for both single and multiple players. Maybe the industry should put their heads together and decide that they simply won't try to offer both in one package. It would not bother me one bit if evferyone who wanted to play on the internet had to go out and plunk down an extra charge to buy th multi-player expansion pack.
Don't you mean the Singleplayer expansion?
Sarxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2002, 17:46   #43
Rantz
Quicksilver

Local Time: 12:38
We're waiting on final bugfix regression testing. As soon as that is given the go by IG QA, then it goes gold, and we're out. Everyone on this side (Quicksilver and IG is really surprised that we have not gone gold.) Historically, when a game is in shakier shape than MOO3 is now publishers traditionally push it out the door wanting the short term fix, vs. the long-term investment of having customers who don't have to patch. It's so rare as to be almost unheard of, but IG is that commited to MOO3, and the future of the Microprose franchises.

Do we want it out already? Hell yeah. I want to play folks in MP as well as enjoying the silence on the message boards as folks are too busy *playing* to post. Is the extra time a good thing, of course it is. Will it be coming out Feb 28th? Personally I will be completely shocked to the point of a heart attack dropping me dead if it takes that long to come out. I really cannot stress how close we are here, and how frustrating it is, waiting to get the thumbsup to throw the 'gold' switch.
Rantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2002, 17:50   #44
RolandtheMad
Trade Wars / BlackNova TradersCall to Power II Democracy Game
Warlord

Well, do what you have to Rantz. I`ve completely turned around on my opinion about waiting for the game to come out, just thinking of some other half-done games I`ve played. Kudos to you and I hope we get a really solid product for this little inconvience.
RolandtheMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2002, 18:08   #45
vmxa1
Deity

Sounds good to me, thanks for the update and ignore the bashes that are sure to follow.
Old December 17, 2002, 18:22   #46
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Thanks for the update.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2002, 18:26   #47
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 23:38
Yes, appreciated.
Old December 17, 2002, 18:42   #48
Proteus_MST
King

Sounds great Rantz,
as if we could expect the game to go gold within the next few days (as long nothing unforeseen happens that is )
Proteus_MST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2002, 18:46   #49
Kc7mxo
King

Nice to see you Rantz, and thanks for the update.

I wonder, will the rioting decrease due to a gone gold statement? Or will rabbid mooers cause actual riots at their local software stores when the delivery truck is late . . .
Old December 17, 2002, 18:51   #50
Proteus_MST
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Kc7mxo
Nice to see you Rantz, and thanks for the update.

I wonder, will the rioting decrease due to a gone gold statement? Or will rabbid mooers cause actual riots at their local software stores when the delivery truck is late . . .
Me thinks it would be a wise choice for Infogrames to have the game released and shipped within two days after the "gone gold"- announcement
Proteus_MST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2002, 19:02   #51
Kc7mxo
King

"A riot is an ugly thing. And I think its about time we had one!"

Old December 17, 2002, 19:57   #52
moomin
King

Rantz, your input is much appreciated. Not that some of us would mind waiting for Feb 26th for a solid, bugfree release.

Still, when you're tests are done, they're done. Looking forward to enjoying Moo3.
Old December 17, 2002, 23:59   #53
Gooberman32
Warlord

Local Time: 20:38
How close exactly is MoO3 to going gold, i mean two months, weeks, days? And when it goes gold and misses the Xmas rush will you still release it or will you wait till things calm down and release it febuary ( the last question may be for Chantz to answer)
Old December 18, 2002, 02:00   #54
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 02:38
I wonder what is going on behind the scenes. What kind of penalties has QS paid for delivering late?
TCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2002, 08:17   #55
Main_Brain
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Free Drones
King

http://celebrity.com.ne.kr/bondgirl/...irleyeaton.jpg
Gone Gold? :P
Old December 18, 2002, 12:31   #56
Grumbold
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by GP
I wonder what is going on behind the scenes. What kind of penalties has QS paid for delivering late?

Eating crow on the forums? Receiving abuse from hundreds of intolerant fans? An even more stressful than normal Christmas?
Old December 18, 2002, 15:14   #57
metalhead
Warlord

Well, I feel compelled to comment on a lot of what I've read in this thread.

It seems no matter what these companies do, people aren't satisfied. With CivIII, they rushed an incomplete beta out the door, and it took 9 months to fix. People were irate that they had to play an incomplete game, and were outraged that a game would be released early, before it was ready.

Now, on this forum, a lot of people seem peeved that they are taking their time, tweaking the game, and making sure to release it clean and as bug-free as possible. They want it NOW, and can't understand why a company would stretch a deadline so far.

The bottom line is that no matter which tact a game company ends up using, people will be unhappy. And the publisher could care less, because we'll all buy the game anyway.
metalhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2002, 15:30   #58
totalchaos
Settler

Local Time: 12:38
Quote:
Originally posted by Rantz
[...]publishers traditionally push it out the door wanting the short term fix, vs. the long-term investment of having customers who don't have to patch.
I respectfully disagree. In my experience, many publishers push buggy games out the door and then never patch.

As much as I'm looking forward to MOO3, and as hard as waiting has been for me, I'd much rather wait for the game to be done.

Thanks for all your hard work.
totalchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2002, 19:30   #59
Anglophile
Settler

I agree with those who have expressed the view that a software company is largely in a no-win situation caught between those who complain about imperfect games (i.e. bugs) and those who complain about late games. Thank god my company only expects me to be very good, as perfection remains somewhat beyond my current capabilities (although apparently well within those of many contributors to forums such as this one). I prefer the later release of a smoother game and am happily playing a very, very large world with oodles of resources in Civ3, that opportunity provided by the much criticized PtW, but as I play SP, PtW is great. Tribunal has also extended my enjoyment of MW, so I can wait for MoO3, my hopes and expectations intact.

People should be grateful that the developer's are taking the time to deliver the best possible gaming experience right out of the box. Trust me, there is immense pressure in a corporation to get things out the door. Cash flow now is infinitely better than potential DCF later. Besides the game I really want to see (please, please, please) is MoM2.
Old December 18, 2002, 23:16   #60
The Rusty Gamer
Prince

Local Time: 00:38
Local Date: November 2, 2010
MOO 3 vs Galactic Civlizations?
You realise that if MOO3 comes out on about the 28th Feb, it will probably be competing with Galactic Civlizations which is due to come out at about the same time?