Old December 15, 2002, 21:47   #31
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 12:39
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I personally have hated every "cartoon"-ish film or television show I've ever seen.

I must take life too seriously
Old December 15, 2002, 21:49   #32
Kepler
Settler

Local Time: 04:39
Hentai's hilarious. I can't believe anybody takes it seriously enough to either be turned on by it or be offended by it -- I just think it's incredibly funny.

The rest of anime I loved when I was a kid. There's absolutely nothing wrong with adolescent utopic/dystopic visions, and its healthier than Xbox.
Old December 15, 2002, 21:58   #33
Gibsie
Civilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

I saw some Japanese anime based around transformers yesterday. Dunno if the bolloks translation and dubbing ruined it, but ruined it was.
Old December 15, 2002, 22:17   #34
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Local Time: 07:39
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Hanson

Because sometimes anime is better than a "real film" (I'm going to assume you mean "live-action film").
Indeed. Up until very recently (and possibly not even now), There were certain stories (mostly sci-fi and fantasy) that could only be given justice in a cartoon form.

LOTR, for example.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old December 15, 2002, 22:27   #35
monolith94
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 08:39
"Why not watch real films than just unrealistic drawings with about eight colours in, Ming?"
the very idea that anime is defined by "unrealistic drawings" with "about eight colors" shows what an ignorant, culturally-deprived country bumpkin Nimrod really is…
Albert Speer
Old December 16, 2002, 05:34   #36
Solly
Emperor

Local Time: 13:39
Country bumpkin

It's that I have better things to do with my time than getting obsessed by a few pseudo-Jap drawings.
Old December 16, 2002, 05:50   #37
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 14:39
Quote:
Originally posted by Thrawn05
Also remember that Anime is created by men, for men in general. They look so perfect because that is the creater's ideal girl drawn as a cartoon.
Ideal girl? : Those Japanseese men, must have real strange "ideal girls"

Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns I like real girls with purple / green / blue hair.

Oh, and one more thing:

Cartoons are not just for children/kids. I'm 21 and love watching cartoons (specially Disney cartoons)
Old December 16, 2002, 06:31   #38
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 23:39
Erm, why did you put a quote of mine in the middle of your post?
Old December 16, 2002, 06:49   #39
Jaakko
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Boddington's
It's that I have better things to do with my time than getting obsessed by a few pseudo-Jap drawings.
Like trolling Internet forums? Come on, nothing of substance ever comes out of your mouth, even in real life if what we can gather of it here is to be trusted. Your only meaning in life seems to be to bother other people.
Old December 16, 2002, 07:02   #40
Solly
Emperor

Maybe because I really can't take the fools at this site seriously.

Last edited by Solly; December 16, 2002 at 07:10.
Old December 16, 2002, 07:55   #41
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
Erm, why did you put a quote of mine in the middle of your post?
Because your post with the purple/red/blue hair fit in, with what I said, about the strange tastes of those Japanese men...
Old December 16, 2002, 10:29   #42
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 08:39
Quote:
Originally posted by Gibsie
I saw some Japanese anime based around transformers yesterday. Dunno if the bolloks translation and dubbing ruined it, but ruined it was.
If you were watching Transformers Armada (it's the new Transformers show being aired on Cartoon Network), then it's bolloksed up because it was Pokemon-ified. "We must collect all of the Pokemon! I mean Cloud Cards! I mean Midicrons! Gotta catch 'em all..."
Old December 16, 2002, 10:49   #43
FemmeAdonis
Prince

Ooo anime....*extreme swoonage*

Last edited by FemmeAdonis; December 16, 2002 at 11:01.
Old December 16, 2002, 11:37   #44
Solly
Emperor

Must be something in the Texas water.
Old December 16, 2002, 11:48   #45
FemmeAdonis
Prince

anime..*droools*

my doggy is named after an anime..."akira"

Last edited by FemmeAdonis; December 16, 2002 at 12:03.
Old December 16, 2002, 11:49   #46
FemmeAdonis
Prince

(deleted picture above )

Not ALL anime is good...

pokemon...digimon...

Last edited by FemmeAdonis; December 16, 2002 at 12:04.
Old December 16, 2002, 11:50   #47
Solly
Emperor

That's nice.
Old December 16, 2002, 12:42   #48
JCG
Prince

As has been said, it's just another medium.

Thus, let's suppose that maybe about 90% of it is crap, but you can find some 10% worth watching (of course, this 10% will be different according to your specific tastes).

Or you can just ignore/hate it altogether, just like some people do with opera, tv, infomercials et al...
Old December 16, 2002, 17:58   #49
Gibsie
Civilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by loinburger If you were watching Transformers Armada (it's the new Transformers show being aired on Cartoon Network), then it's bolloksed up because it was Pokemon-ified. "We must collect all of the Pokemon! I mean Cloud Cards! I mean Midicrons! Gotta catch 'em all..."
No, it was the first primarily Japanese series, Headmasters (sounds like hentai...). And it smelt of wee.
Old December 17, 2002, 02:05   #50
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 00:39
Local Date: November 2, 2010
/me shrugs

Some of us like cartoons, and it's not quite the minority that you may believe. Wherever I go, whoever I am with, EVERYONE sits down and watches The Simpsons, and many like South Park. We're talking Westernised people, those from Japan, SE Asia, China, Africans ( I know a few), Maori, Polynesians....

Hell, lotsa people read the financial news or equivalent. I don't claim to understand it, but sometimes you just gotta shrug and say "whatever" if you don't.

And then go right back to watching Dragonball Z. Dragonball. The most searched for word on Google from not-very-long-ago, so I am informed.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old December 17, 2002, 08:28   #51
aahz_capone
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesApolyton UniversityDiplomacy
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Plan Austral
I agree with Boddys Troll.

Something that bothers me about those cartoons is that it is impossible to distinguish if the character is asian or white.

And anime girls always have perfect bodies, its unnecessary and unrealistic, no one would ever feel excited by a cartoon.
Bah! Speak for yourself!!!!
Old December 17, 2002, 09:36   #52
Solly
Emperor

So an ideal girl one is in a school uniform and looking like she is 12?

Anime fans are a bunch of paedophiles.
Old December 17, 2002, 09:42   #53
Solly
Emperor

Example in case:

Old December 17, 2002, 09:43   #54
Wraith
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

--"But a lousy troll nonetheless."

Yeah, but the rest of us can have some conversation.

--"In France the Anime culture rivals that of America. In fact it's better, because nothing is censored."

The US anime market is the biggest in the world, actually. Even bigger than Japan (at least, according to ADV). Japan's manga market is still much much bigger than anywhere overseas, though.

I can't argue about the censoring. I hate edited-for-content stuff being broadcast. If you didn't want the content, why did you buy the broadcast rights in the first place?

--"Why not watch real films than just unrealistic drawings with about eight colours in, Ming?"

You not even donig a very good job as a troll here, Boddy. There's plenty of better areas than this for you to have picked on, like complain about the frame rates or the fluidity of motion (which tends to be done much better by Disney, since the Japanese focus is in a different area).

I went with a coworker to see Jin-Roh when it was in a theater here. It's probably the last feature film made that used completely hand-drawn cels, no CG at all. When we got out of the movie, he kept insisting that the backgrounds couldn't have been cel art, that they had to be photos. You'd be surprised at the level of detail some of these works get.

--"Something that bothers me about those cartoons is that it is impossible to distinguish if the character is asian or white."

Heh. Some of them are purposely caucasian, and there are characers that are obviously asian (check 3x3 Eyes). However, for the most part anime exists in a kind of other-place, with little specific setting. The only thing particularly non-asian about most of the characters are the eyes, and the large round eye trend came from a different direction; it's to allow the artists to show a wider range of emotion.

--"And anime girls always have perfect bodies,"

Again, not always. But this is another cultural issue. Between the typical Japanese diet and their culture obesity is actually quite rare, especially when compared to places like the US.

--"Also remember that Anime is created by men, for men in general. "

Lots of generalizations in the thread today
There are actually a lot of women in anime, such as the group Clamp. Whole genres of anime are dedicated primarily to women, such as shoujo and yaoi. It's just that very little of this gets exported to the US, which has trended towards the shounen stuff, the action movies and so on. This is a trend that is thankfully changing.

--"I saw some Japanese anime based around transformers yesterday"

All the Japanese versions of the Transformer series were really bad.

--"It's that I have better things to do with my time than getting obsessed by a few pseudo-Jap drawings."

Okay, now this comment is just weird. "Pseudo-Jap"? Outside of your use of a potentially offensive diminuative, what is there about it that's "pseudo"? It's made by Japanese people in Japan.

Now, personally, I think all those people who go to sporting events and spend time cheering on football teams are the oddballs. I mean, okay, a bunch of big sweaty men in pads ramming into each other. Now see... getting all worked up about that is strange.

--"Maybe because I really can't take the fools at this site seriously."

You could always leave.

Wraith
"Imagine, the darkness in love with the light..."
-- Yazuha ("Tenchi: The Daughter of Darkness")
Old December 17, 2002, 10:01   #55
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

Local Time: 05:39
Anime((specifically mecha) is great as entertainment...I love to be whisked away to worlds that dont exsist featuring large robots, vast empires, rebellion, love, and whatever else arises in the every day of their life. Thats what cartoons are about, escapism in to reality.

I personally also like games featured around mecha, like shogo and heavy gear and i really wish there was an in depth story driven RPG like fallout but in a mecha universe.
Old December 17, 2002, 10:26   #56
aahz_capone
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesApolyton UniversityDiplomacy
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Boddington's
So an ideal girl one is in a school uniform and looking like she is 12?

Anime fans are a bunch of paedophiles.
ah, well not really.

you see the school uniform represents obediance and innocence. All the more evil of the monster to attack her instead of some easy tramp, and that makes the good guy all the more good and heroic by saving her (and later ridding her of that innocence, etc... which is all very heroic really )

They may look 12 because of their clothes and faces, but when they get their kit off they almost always have enormous breats and are quite into their sexual developement (as they are almost always aroused). There is no way that those bodies could be mistaken for a 12 year old's then.

So that's all the theory, which is all really deep and cool.

But really we are just a bunch of perverts.