Old December 15, 2002, 19:16   #1
Wise Ass
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Team BananaC4BtSDG Team Banana
Prince

Local Time: 07:40
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Gamecatcher Reviews Civ3 PTW
Gamecatcher has published the December issue of their magazine containing a review of Civ3 PTW.
Old December 17, 2002, 16:49   #2
Wise Ass
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Team BananaC4BtSDG Team Banana
Prince

**Bump**

Comments?
Old December 17, 2002, 16:53   #3
FNBrown
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 04:40
Another far-from-glowing review... Seems like PTW is a consensus misfire amongst the gaming press.
Old December 17, 2002, 17:35   #4
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Local Time: 12:40
That guy is obviously just an Anti-Firaxis Troll, probably paid to say bad stuff by someone who doesn't like the game. His comments (well, at least the negative ones) re: the expansion are utter nonsense and his criticisms of the game are totally and completely unfounded.

The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old December 17, 2002, 18:12   #5
FNBrown
Prince

No, no, no, Vel.... it's obvious that Infogrames just didn't spend enough money advertising PTW on Gamecatcher's website.

If they had bought a full spate of banner and pop-up advertisements, I'm sure the reviewer would have posted a glowing appraisal without even bothering to play the game.
Old December 17, 2002, 19:53   #6
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 13:40
Gamecatcher is part of the CGN which does not involve itself in advertising or 'bribery', and you should retract that comment. Also it is quite a legitimate review as many of the accusations thrown at PtW are quite legitimate...

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old December 17, 2002, 20:08   #7
FNBrown
Prince

PH - I'm one of the many hurling accusations of inadequacy at Infogrames latest steaming pile... my last post was meant to be sarcastic.
Old December 17, 2002, 20:34   #8
Wise Ass
Prince

My points are completely valid and Civ3 is one of my favorite games
Old December 17, 2002, 20:36   #9
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 06:40
I don't agree with everything you wrote, but I can see that you tried to be fair.
Old December 17, 2002, 21:32   #10
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Wise ass-

I thought this was a more reasonable review than some I've seen, either on the negative or positive side.

I see that the review was for 1.04 and that you will write another for 1.14. Its annoying how many reviewers just play the game for 10 minutes then write the review, nice to see someone that's actually tried the game.

I do think you could have mentioned the SP changes more as well as easy mod use now, esp. the way, in the editor, you can specify which folders to use when creating a mod.

i personally think, besides the infogrames problem, that firaxis was a bit too ambitious with the new modes of MP, had they stuck with the tried and true civ2 methods, the reviews would be more favorable. What do you think about that thought?
Old December 17, 2002, 22:06   #11
FNBrown
Prince

It was working with SMAC... dunno why they had to change it.
Old December 17, 2002, 22:34   #12
WarpStorm
King

I think this was about the most fair review I've read. I disagree this some parts but at least the reviewer was trying to be fair instead of slamming it for the sake of slamming it.

I agree that I would like to see the traditional I-GO-U-GO brought back with some sort of replay or at least a detailed events log. This wouldn't suffer at all from network bandwidth and lag issues and would make M accessible to nearly everyone.
Old December 18, 2002, 02:03   #13
Wise Ass
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by asleepathewheel
Wise ass-

I thought this was a more reasonable review than some I've seen, either on the negative or positive side.

I see that the review was for 1.04 and that you will write another for 1.14. Its annoying how many reviewers just play the game for 10 minutes then write the review, nice to see someone that's actually tried the game.

I do think you could have mentioned the SP changes more as well as easy mod use now, esp. the way, in the editor, you can specify which folders to use when creating a mod.

i personally think, besides the infogrames problem, that firaxis was a bit too ambitious with the new modes of MP, had they stuck with the tried and true civ2 methods, the reviews would be more favorable. What do you think about that thought?
hmmm... I appreciate the feedback from all of you. You are right I didn't give SP and it's new features as much attention as I maybe should have. I am somewhat torn on the issue but maybe in my update I will speak on it.

Again I appreciate the feedback.
~Wise
Old December 18, 2002, 07:21   #14
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Local Time: 13:40
Just read through the review and I agree, it really is pretty fair. I might say some things in a different way, I might add some (SP related) good points, but overall it is a fair review, definitely.
Old December 18, 2002, 10:34   #15
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Local Time: 12:40
Ohhhh, you guys! Stop all this flirting with blasphemy and get back to the party line, will ya!? I'm starting to worry!

Seriously....good review. I'm just glad you brought it to our attention as a review, and didn't breathe a word of any of your negative points in the forums....that's grounds for lynching in these parts....

As to SP....personally, I'm glad you didn't give it much coverage! PTW was advertised as a MP expansion to the game....IMO, that makes the SP additions...not *unimportant* but certainly taking a backseat to the main advertised component.

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old December 18, 2002, 12:39   #16
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 09:40
A fair review, by someone who actually played the game. It's more than we can expect these days.

Personally, I'm satisfied with PTW. I did not try MP yet (I don't like MP, but that's just me), but the SP features they added are interesting and add something to the gameplay, IMO.
Old December 18, 2002, 23:55   #17
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 05:40
I think the review is right on.

It's good enough to play, but many things are missing or working right.