Old February 1, 2003, 05:54   #31
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 12:40
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Tassadar5000
No, I want things to look REALISTIC and BEAUTIFUL, not cartoony.
In that case I bet you've hated every other Zelda game. They're all very cartoony.
Old February 14, 2003, 05:53   #32
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Local Time: 08:40
Zelda Tops 250,000 Preorders
Quote:
Nintendo of America today announced that more than 250,000 gamers in the US have already pre-ordered its anticipated action-adventure Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker. That figure is made all the more impressive, according to the publisher, because it's official pre-sell program for the game has yet to start.
http://cube.ign.com/articles/386/386075p1.html

Wow. I'll be pre-ordering my copy next week, after the official start of the program on the 16th. I can't wait to get my free copy of Ocarina of Time/Master Quest!
Old February 14, 2003, 15:12   #33
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 06:40
$5 says it will take a year for Zelda to sell 1M copies in the USA.
Old February 14, 2003, 15:20   #34
Sandman
King

Local Time: 13:40
Nintendo simply doesn't understand the modern games market. They are slowly crumbling, helped by a sycophantic games media which continues to insist that Nintendo makes the best games. Making the 'best games' is a useless title to hold, what they need to do is make the best selling games.

Their games are pretty sophiscated, but if the games have an infantile presentation, they'll not appeal to new gamers, and make veteran gamers uncomfortable. I don't think it's asking much to have a more neutral look to their games.

They need to ruthlessly reevaluate their catalogue of franchises. Pointless characters like Kirby, Yoshi and Donkey Kong should definitely be purged. All they do is steal Mario's thunder.

Mature Nintendo franchises like Metroid, Zelda and F-Zero should have more time devoted to them. Make them into actual, rather than potential, franchises by making more sequels, rather than each new installment appearing every half-decade. This will lead to better brand awareness, since gamers don't have to be re-educated about what the frachise is. Frankly, I would have loved to have a few sequels to Mario 64. The games media may complain about constant 'recycling', but the fact is that gamers love sequels, as long as the quality remains constant. A sequel adds value to it's prequel as well.

There's such a thing as too much innovation. If Nintendo overdoes the quest for originality, then it's games will get a reputation as 'weird', maybe justified, maybe not. Spread the innovations over more sequels. This applies to their joypads as well.
Old February 14, 2003, 20:45   #35
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
Canadian or American dollars? I'll take the bet if we're talking about real money here...
Old February 14, 2003, 20:51   #36
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
Mature Nintendo franchises like Metroid, Zelda and F-Zero should have more time devoted to them. Make them into actual, rather than potential, franchises by making more sequels, rather than each new installment appearing every half-decade. This will lead to better brand awareness, since gamers don't have to be re-educated about what the frachise is. Frankly, I would have loved to have a few sequels to Mario 64. The games media may complain about constant 'recycling', but the fact is that gamers love sequels, as long as the quality remains constant. A sequel adds value to it's prequel as well.
Nintendo is doing exactly this. They already released a Metroid game and a sequel is in production. A new Zelda is coming out in March and it sounds like Nintendo is set on making another for the GC. F-Zero is coming out this year. And another Mario game is being made as well.

Nintendo's doing its best to use its franchises, but they haven't been able to push systems so far. I really don't know why, but it worries me. If games like Metroid Prime and Zelda: The Wind Waker don't push systems, nothing will, and I don't want to see the best game maker in the world go the way of Sega...
Old February 14, 2003, 21:25   #37
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
Canadian or American dollars? I'll take the bet if we're talking about real money here...
You honestly think Zelda will sell more than 1M in the USA, considering the look of the game and the average American buying video games?

I really wish we could do a real bet.

Zelda in its current incarnation will largely appeal to the hardcore Nintendo fans. I can guarantee that after the preorders are sold, sales will drop drastically. Even worse than they did for Metroid Prime.
Old February 14, 2003, 21:31   #38
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
You honestly think Zelda will sell more than 1M in the USA, considering the look of the game and the average American buying video games?
Think about it. It's one of the biggest franchises in gaming and it's already 1/4 of the way to a million before the game has even officially gone on sale. I don't see how it cannot reach a million by the end of the year.
Old February 14, 2003, 21:57   #39
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Think about it. It's one of the biggest franchises in gaming and it's already 1/4 of the way to a million before the game has even officially gone on sale. I don't see how it cannot reach a million by the end of the year.
I have thought about it.

It may be one of the biggest franchises in gaming past, but that doesn't mean much in the era of Grand Theft Auto 3.

The market has changed a lot, and Nintendo doesn't care.

The new Zelda is certainly not mass market. It's likely to appeal to rabid fans of the series (who will also preorder it due to the OOT bundle), which explains the massive preorder.

Metroid Prime made over 60% of its US sales in preorders, and I think Zelda will be around that level or higher...

The fact is, the casual gamers who see games on stores in Best Buy and pick them up likely won't be interested in games like Zelda. By far the largest fanbase for the Zelda games are the older gamers, and these are the same type of people who would preorder it for OOT...
Old February 14, 2003, 22:00   #40
Drake Tungsten
Deity

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, as usual.
Old February 14, 2003, 22:03   #41
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

How do you explain the fact that Metroid Prime hasn't cracked 1M copies sold in the US, even though it was for sale in (by far) the two highest volume months in gaming history?

If MP had problems with keeping sales up (they fell drastically in december, the strongest month in gaming history), why do you think a cell-shaded Zelda game is going to do any better?
Old February 14, 2003, 22:56   #42
Drake Tungsten
Deity

I guess you don't agree to disagree...
Old February 15, 2003, 02:32   #43
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Quote:
Originally posted by FrustratedPoet

In that case I bet you've hated every other Zelda game. They're all very cartoony.

Search up screenshots for OoT and compare them to "Wind Waker". There is a LARGE graphical realism difference, TRUST ME

Great troll, FP.
Old February 15, 2003, 17:51   #44
CapitanGarlic
NationStates
Prince

Local Time: 05:40
The graphics in the Wind Waker are much better when you actually play the game(demo). I was awed by just how cool it was, despite using a crap controller.
Old February 15, 2003, 19:05   #45
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
I was awed by just how cool it was
So was I. The graphics are better than I could have hoped.
Old February 16, 2003, 18:12   #46
Drake Tungsten
Deity

I got my OoT/ MQ bonus disc and a $425 suit for less than $200 today! Wutang!!!
Old February 17, 2003, 01:35   #47
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Wow. The F-Zero video on the OoT disc is awesome. The game looks amazing. I'll have to keep an eye on this one...
Old February 17, 2003, 04:05   #48
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Great troll, FP.
Hardly.
Old February 17, 2003, 23:27   #49
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Local Time: 07:40
Quote:
Originally posted by CapitanGarlic
The graphics in the Wind Waker are much better when you actually play the game(demo). I was awed by just how cool it was, despite using a crap controller.
played it. I still hate the crappy graphic

My sister watched the commmercial and she even told me that the game wasnt as "good looking as your old games" (she asked me if this game was a new game because she was confused to have seen an "old" game being advertised)

Face it Zelda fanboys... Graphic sucks ass... but it doesnt say anything about gameplay so dont be offended... just dont kid urself.
Old February 18, 2003, 00:21   #50
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Calc II

I've got it preordered (I want OOT again ) but I still really wish they didn't butcher the graphics. I know lots of the diehard fans have managed to convince themselves that it looks better this way, but it sure as hell doesn't. But the graphics are always secondary in Zelda games anyway...
Old February 18, 2003, 01:17   #51
CapitanGarlic
NationStates
Prince

Local Time: 05:40
I don't say it looks better, I say it looks good. Even if it's a strange style, perhaps a worse one, it's impressive what they've done with the atmosphere and such.

As always, though, graphics take back seat to gameplay. If it's fun, I don't give a **** what it looks like.
Old February 18, 2003, 02:39   #52
Drake Tungsten
Deity

I think the graphics are better. The new style can convey Link's emotions and create atmosphere far more effectively than OoT graphics could. The new graphics make the gameplay more engrossing and enjoyable than it has been in the past, which makes them great IMO.
Old February 18, 2003, 03:07   #53
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Are games supposed to be about viewing their emotions or feeling them vicariously?

filosofy...
Old February 18, 2003, 03:24   #54
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
Are games supposed to be about viewing their emotions or feeling them vicariously?
The good ones are. You can't have a great plot without creating some sort of emotional involvement on the player's part...
Old February 18, 2003, 04:32   #55
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace

Quote:
I think the graphics are better. The new style can convey Link's emotions and create atmosphere far more effectively than OoT graphics could. The new graphics make the gameplay more engrossing and enjoyable than it has been in the past, which makes them great IMO.
We'll see. I don't want to be playing some Cartoon Network show on my TV. I want to feel like I'm there and if the atmosphere isn't there, neither am I
Old February 18, 2003, 11:23   #56
Ivellios
Chieftain

Local Time: 13:40
Quote:

Search up screenshots for OoT and compare them to "Wind Waker". There is a LARGE graphical realism difference, TRUST ME

Great troll, FP.
He's right you know... Ocarina of Time was full of realistic Elves (Hylians to be exact), Fairies, Dragons, huge Spiders, fish that are bigger on the inside than on the outside!

I thought that most people here agreed gameplay was way more important than the graphics. I guess not, since a lot of people here are writing Zelda off just because it's cel-shaded.

Quote:
How do you explain the fact that Metroid Prime hasn't cracked 1M copies sold in the US, even though it was for sale in (by far) the two highest volume months in gaming history?

If MP had problems with keeping sales up (they fell drastically in december, the strongest month in gaming history), why do you think a cell-shaded Zelda game is going to do any better?
Nintendo's marketing sucks. Quality isn't assurance to big sales. Hell, anything with a license slapped on (LotR, Harry Potter, FIFA, NFL, etc.) will sell well no matter how much tripe it is.

The majority of the people that buy games are still casual gamers, who don't read magazines, websites, etc. They're not as informed as the more 'hobby' gamer and they just buy titles which are popular. A good example is EA Sport's line-up, which is totally inferior to Sega Sports's 2KX line-up.

Then there's the hormonally frustrated early-teen kiddo that is afraid to play to anything with cheerful graphics. God forbid someone sees him playing Mario! He just buys whatever is considered 'cool'. Again, no matter how much tripe it is.
Old March 13, 2003, 13:48   #57
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Asher
I'm really wishing that we could've done that bet...

Quote:
Nintendo of America today announced that more than 560,000 customers have pre-ordered its GameCube third-person adventure title Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker. The company said that the pre-sell campaign for Wind Waker is its most successful in history.
http://cube.ign.com/articles/389/389019p1.html

The game hasn't even been released yet and its already over halfway to a million. I could really use that money, but I guess I'll have to be content with watching Asher eat crow...

Last edited by Drake Tungsten; March 13, 2003 at 17:57.
Old March 13, 2003, 14:05   #58
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Eat crow? Why?

I always knew Zelda preorders would be phenomenal.

1) The hardcore N-fans
2) The promise of OoT for free if you preorder.
3) The fact that there's absolutely nothing else of interest on the Gamecube's radar for quite some time

Is it any surprise 560,000 people preordered?

The fun part will seeing how it actually sells after the first two weeks. My wager is it drops like a rock off the top 10 after 3 weeks, still take a year to sell 1M.

Do you really think mainstream America would care for Zelda? The new incarnation is as elitist as you can get, with an art style that's sure to make most Americans scoff at it.

Even Splinter Cell on Xbox sold 500,000 its first week, but it still sold 100,000 a week for a month after that. My predictions for TWW:

Initial sales: 700,000 (due to preorders)
Week 2 sales: 110,000
Week 3 sales: 50,000
Week 4 sales: 40,000

So maybe 1 year was too long. But still, it'd sell far more without the goofy art style. And please don't go and defend it, I know you like it.

Last edited by Asher; March 13, 2003 at 14:13.
Old March 13, 2003, 14:19   #59
Nubclear

Quote:
I guess not, since a lot of people here are writing Zelda off just because it's cel-shaded.
Yes, gameplay does take priority, but if the graphics ruin the atmosphere.....

Zelda 64 was a beautiful game. I went to the store yesterday and played a demo of Wind Waker. Gameplay was like usual, but.....The graphics, as I predicted, always took me out of the game.

This game is permanently written off.
Old March 13, 2003, 16:01   #60
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 07:40
How did you people beat Phantom Ganon?

PS When is Splinter Cell being ported to the GC?
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club

Last edited by DinoDoc; March 13, 2003 at 16:29.