Old December 16, 2002, 09:08   #1
tiny toad
Chieftain

Local Time: 12:42
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Play the World Intro Graphics and Errors
Having just purchased a copy of PTW and looking forward to playing this game for many months, the game has caused my PC to crash, and I have now had to use the disk recovery to get it back to factory settings.
Before I installed I defraged my drive then did a complete install of CIV3 and PTW. when i first fired it up I noticed that the intro movie was all `jerky`
After playing against the computer for a few hours I saved and exited the game, however when opening another application I then got`you do not have suficient memory to run this application` error messages, after rebooting it was ok. and then when firing up PTW and playing for a few hours then closing and using another application....the same error message!
When I uninstalled the game everything was ok, So I reinstalled again and guess what!
my PC is a compaq Presario WINME AMD Duron900MHZ with 128 RAM, according to the manual well above spec for the game. Anyway after playing around with my PC all weekend uninstalling and reinstalling, checking graphics ..ect..ect it finally gave up the ghost and blue screened on me.
Can anyone help me out here ,any advice is welcome.
I`m a bit peeved with this and dont know what to do.
Old December 16, 2002, 09:57   #2
Franses
Civilization III Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 13:42
Do you use the 1.14f patch?

It sure is not only PTW that causes this error message. I have seen it far to often and with different applications (Adobe for one).
Unfortunately I have no idea how to solve it with PTW except perhaps using the latest patch. Good luck.
Old December 16, 2002, 10:47   #3
tiny toad
Chieftain

Thanks I shall try that tonight and see what happens
Old December 16, 2002, 12:39   #4
tiny toad
Chieftain

Frances, how did you resolve this problem with other software?
Old December 16, 2002, 14:47   #5
Raion
Prince

The real problem that people ususally do not say, is the OS its self. It takes a couple of minutes for Windows to release the memory, and then it decides when to release it. This is fact!

Usually restarting the computer, is quicker to reset the computer virtual memory than waiting for Windows OS to decide to release it.

With Windows 2000 Professional, that works better, but can still get one in a bind working with other programs.

Usually restarting the computer to clear out Windows OS is what one is really doing.

That probably stems from the OS doing multi-threaded applications with only a single processor.
Only so much time to each application, and maybe making a bigger swap file may help. Games take up a lot of virtual memory!

I have 256mB, but only have about 170mB free, and when done with Civ III or PTW, I usually have around 256mB of virtual swap disk memory to be released by Windows OS. That, in Windows 98SE, may take a few minutes to release by the OS, only the game can release the memory being used by the game, I doubt it can make Windows OS release the virtual swap disk memory, until Windows decides to release it.

It takes less time to just restart the computer.
Also if no patches, then the copy protection of the disk with the original version of Civ III, just did not end the game right, and one had to restart the computer.

Just easier to restart the computer, and I usually am not pass about 1400AD when playing, so with all the Units and all the Civ's in the Civ III game, one needs a bigger and faster computer.

Welcome to Civilization!

It's a freaky adventure, and just not a life! But real-life!
An adventure!
A journey!
Into the Unknown!
Old December 16, 2002, 14:52   #6
Raion
Prince

Also with Windows 98SE, the opening movie seems jerky, unless one has DMA on. With Windows 2000, it may be jerky sometimes, but that usually means that the OS is the problem, maybe after working on an application that has used a lot of memory. Making your CD disk drive cache may help, (make it the maximum) which usually in Windows 98SE was about 1238kB or so setting. Different OS's which are suppose to be compatible is from Microsoft. They actually are not all that compatible, up to a certain point, but then the advertising from Microsoft may make one believe that Microsoft is God, but I know better. It is their OS, and the versions, are compatible to a certain extent, and that is all.
Old December 16, 2002, 14:54   #7
Raion
Prince

Before one starts the game, clear out the computer by restarting it, and after one ends the game, restart the computer.

Afterall, some people have determined that Civilization as a game, needs a separate computer, only playing the game, and leaving it on, in the same game, as if it is the operating system.

Smiley should go here!
Old December 17, 2002, 05:26   #8
tiny toad
Chieftain

Hi Raion
Thanks for this ......
One lives and one learns