Old December 16, 2002, 13:41   #1
jshelr
Civilization III PBEMIron CiversC3CDG Ankh-Morpork
Emperor

Local Time: 08:42
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Strat Forum PBEM
I would be happy to organize PBEM games with many of them using the AU mod. This effort has started with a core group of posters from the Strategy Forum. (We have five people so far.)

Initial experience shows that PBEM works well when games are kept to a small number of people who enjoy the prospect of a game that gradually builds toward an interesting series of encounters with human opponents -- and who respond regularly.

If you think this would be fun, just post your comment and we will add you to the group. It is very helpful if we know your location and email address(es).

There is no hurry. After we get a list of people who are interested, the time to start is when everyone settles down to the usual grind after the holidays, and maybe after people get PTW as a holiday gift. What is needed is a club of people who will be reliable for a reasonably long haul.

I have been fortunate to hook up with people that have formed a couple of good games and I'm pleasantly surprised by the way the game unfolds. I think many people would like to be involved in several games, so that the total amounts to a reasonable part-time hobby.

The speed version of PTW does not necessarily appeal to everyone. Some players appreciate having time to think and, especially, the possibility of some real diplomacy taking place with other human players over a considerable interval of time. If that is you, then this is it.

Last edited by jshelr; December 16, 2002 at 14:12.
Old December 16, 2002, 14:22   #2
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Sign me up (again!).

Dominae
Old December 16, 2002, 16:32   #3
WarriorPoet
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' Guild
Prince

Local Time: 07:42
Jshelr, you know I'm available for PBEM, but what happened to the other game? I think we got to what 5 turns...you know, the game that had to be restarted, and then mysteriously seased? The game, where you thought you would have to drop one of the players?

If this happens again, what is the mitigation process?

I'm still excited about PBEM, mainly because it's the only way I'll be able to enjoy MP style epoch wargames.

I just hate getting burned!

At any rate, count me in! PM me when ready to go!
Old December 16, 2002, 19:59   #4
jshelr
Civilization III PBEMIron CiversC3CDG Ankh-Morpork
Emperor

I'm not sure which one you mean. There are a couple that are slow.

There is no doubt that we should keep track of who is reliable and who spoils the game for others so we can avoid the problem you are concerned about.

Check out the double or nothing thread. It contains a writeup about PBEM methods and rules that is very good and will help us keep good games going

Why make you hunt? Here is the rules and regs manual.

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=66088