Old December 29, 2002, 19:31   #31
vee4473
King

Local Time: 07:44
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
Of course, if you said 23rd of December as most normal people do, then it wouldn't sound so strange.

so at what point did people stop saying 30:08 for the time and started saying 8:30? when the US came around and started putting months first??

besides, Apolyton is contradicting themselves...if day/month/year is so great because you MUST go from units that change the most to units that change least, why does Apolyton post time in hour/minute?

Why you gotta call names skank? i'm not normal? mr. candle bra?
Old December 29, 2002, 20:00   #32
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 23:44
Most measuring systems put the largest unit first, the next largest second... the smallest unit last. Time is no different. According to the international date format, the date also is no different, and the yyyy:mm:dd format is my personal favourite.

Quote:
Why you gotta call names skank? i'm not normal? mr. candle bra?
The "normal" comment was in regards to saying 23rd of December rather than non-used 23 December.
I can't judge whether you are normal or not - I don't know you well enough.

Just a friendly reminder, if you start with the personal attacks, not only is it an admission that you are losing the arguement, but you could also be banned for it.
Old December 29, 2002, 20:02   #33
vee4473
King

i'd keep that in mind skanky burns before you get banned for calling people not abnormal
Old December 29, 2002, 20:05   #34
vee4473
King

and you didn't address the time format.

the largest unit is seconds (or even minutes)which is not put first
Old December 29, 2002, 21:58   #35
vee4473
King

Quote:

Just a friendly reminder, if you start with the personal attacks, not only is it an admission that you are losing the arguement, but you could also be banned for it.
funny how you don't follow your own advice
Old December 30, 2002, 07:31   #36
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Local Time: 13:44
Quote:
According to the international date format, the date also is no different, and the yyyy:mm:dd format is my personal favourite.
Hey Skank! You need to move to Scandinavia then. We've adopted YYYY-MM-DD as date format long ago. Makes it seriosly easy to sort dates, if nothing else.
Old December 30, 2002, 09:33   #37
warden
Settler

Local Time: 12:44
Quote:
Originally posted by moomin
Worrying about date formats is a bit too much when there are backwaters out there that haven't even managed to adopt the metric system yet - chugging along using fricken' medieval units... sweet jesus on a pogo stick, how do they cope?
How do you cope using a system of time which goes back to ancient Babylon, if not to the formation of the solar system?

The metric system is some madcap scheme of the French revolutionaries which Napoleon forced on all those Europeans weak enough to be conquered. Its unit of length is based upon the circumference of the earth. That may be some use in navigation but happily civil aviation still relies upon a fundamental unit which is common to us all - the foot. And this is fundamental to MOO3's political system too, i.e. the "Heavy Foot of Government".

Andrew
warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2002, 10:17   #38
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Local Time: 13:44
Hey, Andrew, it's all in good cheer, here.

And I have to confess there's at least one Brit mesure that meets with my whole approval - the Pint!

Cheers!
Old December 30, 2002, 12:31   #39
Manh
Settler

Metric vs The Other One
I just had to log in and stick up for the Metric system

I remember in Physics class (years ago) that in the Metric system, length, weight, and maybe other things were all related. ie, knowing one will allow you to work out the other measurements.

eg. 1 Kilogram = 1000 centimeter cube of distilled water.

That is all I can remember. What I'm trying to say is that there is a reason for the values of the Metric system and that it was not just plucked out of the sky and that they all work together seamlessly together to help Scientists calculate things.

OK, so you can still do that with the Imperial system... but how was the original foot/pound calculated? And if it was not calculated, who still has the original to make copies off? (I'm admitting here, I don't know anything about the Imperial system.)

Another thing I'm dieing to know is whether they teach Physics in the UK and US with the Imperial system? What about temperature calculations? Do you use K or F?

Thanks.
Manh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2002, 12:33   #40
Manh
Settler

Oh yes! Thumbs up for the pint! Don't forget the yard glass too
Old December 30, 2002, 12:48   #41
Manh
Settler

Just remembered:

1 Kilogram = 1000 cc distilled water = 1 Litre (Volume)
Old December 30, 2002, 19:38   #42
Kc7mxo
King

As far as I'm concerned, both the Inches and Metrix system work just fine. As a computer science major I quite like the way inches divide by 2 and down to 32.

But its a real hassle to work with both at the same time.
Kc7mxo is offline   Reply With Quote