Old December 16, 2002, 19:37   #1
Disparat
Chieftain

Local Time: 12:44
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Need some for graphics for the Stella Polaris Site
Sorry, haven't been around lately nor have I been doing much, but not much more (I think) needs to be done. Before I can get to work I really need some graphics. Yeah, I have Photoshop, and I can blindly stumble my way into passable graphics, but we've got some pros here so this is what I need:

First off, the color scheme:
background: #464A46
text: #FFFFFF
complementary (links, some borders, etc.): #5ED026
2nd background (this is what the actual content and most of the graphics lie on: #000000

Okay, this is a pretty boring color scheme, I'm open to suggestions, but it doesn't look bad.

Now the graphics I need:

A header 389x47 pixels. It's on the black background and surrounded by the complementary color. I was thinking some sort of futuristic skyline. Tokyo at night looks good but I couldn't find any suitable pictures. This obviously won't span the entire screen so it should fade to black on the right. I think I can handle that if necessary.

A footer 389x47 pixels. Same parameters as header, but should fade to black on left side. I have no suggestions for what this should be, so I'm no help there.

A navigation background pic 150x100 pixels. This is set against black and surround on two sides by the green complementary color. It's going to be set in the upper right corner and is going to have text over it. Therefore it needs to be pretty translucent and non-intrusive. I was thinking an alien or maybe a planet being eclipsed by the sun. Something along those lines.

I hope you guys can help. I'd post a pic of the design, but I don't know how Rasbelin wants that handled, but I really need some graphics and I figured this might be the best way. Can you guys come up with anything?
Old December 16, 2002, 19:45   #2
Rasbelin
Emperor

Local Time: 14:44
I have too look at your suggestion ASAP. In the meantime you could at least try to integrate the logo somehow.
Old December 17, 2002, 03:51   #3
targon
Prince

Local Time: 15:44
At last, some work for artists! I'll try to render/draw something, but I'm somewhat busy nowdays (all these annual reports), so...
OK, you said "futuristic city". Right, under way.
Old December 17, 2002, 10:45   #4
DeathByTheSword
ACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Spartans
King

i do have a nice space picture somewhere if you want it? i have it with stella polaris...and i will take a look at the other pics
'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us
Old December 17, 2002, 17:11   #5
Disparat
Chieftain

I remember seeing it somewhere around here. It was very nice. I really think we need a new logo, so perhaps if some nice ones get made, we can influence the higher-ups. However, I'd hold off on that for a bit. I'm not sure what kind we need for the site yet, as in how big it should be, what shape it is, etc. I'm still working out those details. Anybody that can help with the graphics above would be well appreciated. And thanks, Targon, for taking me up on my offer.
Old December 18, 2002, 15:17   #6
DeathByTheSword
ACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Spartans
King

well here is the pic i made and i will look at the footer....i will start making somethings right now
Old December 19, 2002, 09:11   #7
DeathByTheSword
King

where do i need to send the footer too?
Old December 19, 2002, 09:16   #8
Rasbelin
Emperor

ben_at_disparatum.com
Old December 19, 2002, 11:12   #9
DeathByTheSword
King

tanx
Old December 22, 2002, 14:11   #10
Disparat
Chieftain

Oh man, sorry for never replying. Such a twit I am. Anyway DBTS, it follows the guidelines perfectly but I don't think it'll work. The green color should be a sort of neon, alien type of green, not teal. Maybe I put the wrong hex code up there, not sure. I'm also looking for some sort of object to be in the picture, not just colors. If anyone else can help me out with this, it would be great. Thanks for your time DBTS.
Old December 22, 2002, 14:18   #11
DeathByTheSword
King

ok i saw what i did wrong i have the good colors now but i dont have any idea what kind of picture you want in it....so nevermind
Old December 23, 2002, 08:54   #12
targon
Prince

Sorry, but I'm defenite not a architect... futuristic landscape needs too many small details at front plane to look "cool". Possible some cosmic-like, nice gradients... please sketch some concept art.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	stp2.png
Views:	59
Size:	251.7 KB
ID:	32377  
Old December 23, 2002, 09:07   #13
DeathByTheSword
King

me lijking this picture........

but maybe you could put the Stella in the upper left corner and not on his side
Old December 23, 2002, 09:23   #14
targon
Prince

OK, this is simply a hastly kludged picture and surely not complete anyway... feel free to advise some cool ideas for some graphics to be done. I feel I'm out of sync with mainstream StP, Graphics Manager forgot me
Old December 23, 2002, 09:37   #15
Rasbelin
Emperor

Looks great indeed, Targon. Make sure it can be scaled into a smaller size for e.g. the website or for use in the game, as the current logo isn't good for being resized. It gets easily too blurred. But so far this one looks neat.
Old December 23, 2002, 09:50   #16
targon
Prince

Sure, cities on night size and sun streaks seems to be really prone to aliasing... I need to redraw this stuff (it's simple vanilla 2D graphics) for low res, but _what_ resolution? It's 800x600 now.
Some other ideas about things for me (or any other artist out there) to draw in meantime?
Old December 23, 2002, 09:52   #17
DeathByTheSword
King

with what did you draw this anyway?
Old December 23, 2002, 09:58   #18
targon
Prince

The Gimp (GNU Image Manipulation Program). 1GHz/256RAM computer/19' monitor. Optical mouse. And hands. That's all.
P.S. Exact computer specifications are optional.
P.P.S. The gimp = www.gimp.org
Old December 27, 2002, 04:12   #19
targon
Prince

Disparat, sorry for that you may treat as some ignorance, but if you still need any graphics, can't you tell how it would look? I did asked for that already and recive nothing by now. I noted alrealy that I'm not an architect, so I can't implement your request for "futuristic cityscape", but possible something other?
Old December 27, 2002, 04:14   #20
targon
Prince

In meantime, I still toy with 2D graphics and logo-like pictures
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	stp5.png
Views:	41
Size:	224.7 KB
ID:	32564  
Old December 27, 2002, 04:27   #21
Blake
lifer
PolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of Fame
Beyond the Sword AI Programmer

Local Time: 01:44
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Very Nice
I very much like the text and stars and nebula in the background.

However the sunrise looks wrong, it does not look bright like a star.
Old December 27, 2002, 04:37   #22
targon
Prince

This is the first rays of sunlight shining behind the planet edge. If it would be later stage of the dawn, I'll surely need some more shining and "sun road" form the star to "camera". But you see, it's all kidding. I still can't do any real work for StP No graphics engine, no model format, nothing to do.
Old December 29, 2002, 21:24   #23
Disparat
Chieftain

Ugh, sorry again. I need to pay more attention to this thread. Okay, well with the futuristic skyline I really don't need it all done by hand. I just need a good picture of a skyline. At night. I think Tokyo would look best. But I just can't find one. If anyone can just send me a good lookin' skyline I could probably get to work on that myself.

I think your logo type pictures look good and if you can send me the .psd (Does Gimp save in some sort of Photoshop compatible format?) I can probably crop it and adjust it to fit the design's needs.

Other pictures I'm looking for are some sort of alien. Again, I just need something to start with and go from there. If anyone finds some good pictures send them to me, maybe I can do something with them. I dunno know guys use your imaginations and try and fit all that creativity into the pixel specifications I outlined in my first post. If your not good with that just try and send me some preliminary stuff, maybe I can do something with it.
Old December 29, 2002, 21:33   #24
Disparat
Chieftain

Okay, targon, I finally finished loading your attacked images (yes, yes, dialup rots ) But I definitely like the first of your images. Now, what I can do with that is use it as a background. However, maybe you can give the nebula/gas cloud thinger a light green instead of purple color (to fit with the color scheme) if you can do that without too much trouble send me the file in a format I can open in Photoshop (with layers left intact hopefully) and I can proportion and edit and reposition to fit on the website. If you can do this it would be much appreciated.
Old December 30, 2002, 07:14   #25
targon
Prince

Hey, that about these:
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	banners.png
Views:	50
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	32762  
Old December 30, 2002, 07:16   #26
targon
Prince

Or this:
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	nebula.png
Views:	53
Size:	268.3 KB
ID:	32763  
Old December 30, 2002, 07:42   #27
carbaher
Settler

Local Time: 13:44
Wow, very nice!!!
Old January 4, 2003, 03:34   #28
targon
Prince

Here are some more stuff
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	ashes.jpeg
Views:	30
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	33119  
Old January 4, 2003, 04:39   #29
targon
Prince

BTW, www.stellapolaris.info still has some shameless assumptions about December 2002. People, update the _date_ at least, please, it gives some bad taste to StP.
Old January 4, 2003, 05:08   #30
Kurilka
Chieftain

Yeah!
I'm getting bored