FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 12:45
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
[q]
Are they just going to end it at Arwen and Aragorn's wedding? Or are they even going to show that?
If they cut The Grey Havens too then they are insane.

I don't think they'll do that. The final journey of Frodo, Bilbo and Gandalf is a crucial part of the story. The ending would make no sense if it stopped at the wedding.

Cutting the Scourging is bad enough, if the Grey Havens is cut too then it'll be a shite film. Like I said, though, I think Peter Jackson loves the books too much to end the film with the wedding.
Old December 17, 2002, 14:41   #32
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

Local Time: 07:45
Quote:
Originally posted by FrustratedPoet

He's one of my favourite authors.

It would make a good trilogy, with some editing to cut it down from 5 books. Chances of it happening are VERY remote, of course, if it ever happens at all it will probably be animated (surely cheaper than live-action).
LOTR was animated, long before someone felt like applying resources required to make movie worthy of the book.
Eddings is definitely Tolkien-influenced, and The Belgariad is sooo funny. Easier reading than LOTR, which one has to get into swing of reading.
Old December 17, 2002, 14:42   #33
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Local Time: 08:45
The theatrical release didn't spend much time explaining the Gray Havens (but the extended version did). I don't know how they could add it without a lot of explanation.

Re the Scouring of the Shire, I agree that it's an important part of the book, but can't see how it would fit in the movie.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old December 17, 2002, 14:58   #34
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Local Time: 06:45
Damn. Why cut the Scouring of the Shire? Didn't Frodo have a "vision" of sorts in TFOTR alluding to the Shire's fate?

Gatekeeper

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius
Old December 17, 2002, 15:00   #35
DanS
Deity

"Why cut the Scouring of the Shire?"

It would probably take a half hour of movie to do it. At the end, it would be sort of a downer, and would feel like it was merely tacked on to the end.

Even the Gray Havens would only take 10 minutes, tops.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old December 17, 2002, 15:05   #36
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

DanS:

True, but then again the movie also focuses a lot more on the Battle of Helm's Deep, which the book didn't apparently spend a great deal of time on (despite it being pivotal in humanity's future).

Gatekeeper

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius
Old December 17, 2002, 15:11   #37
Saint Marcus
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 13:45
I got 6 tickets for the friday show at 10:30pm, in the second biggest movie theater in the world. Anyone care to join me?
Old December 17, 2002, 15:14   #38
Saint Marcus
King

and they'll probably include the scourching of the Shire in the Extended Edition of RotK.
Old December 17, 2002, 15:48   #39
Lorizael
lifer
NationStates
Emperor

Wednesday will be a good day. Get up, make like I'm going to school, go to my brothers' apartment instead, watch Fellowship with my brothers and a pseudo-brother, get on the subway, head down to DC, watch The Two Towers at 2:50 at the Uptown, go home. Very fun indeed. But oh the lies I'll have to tell to my parents...
Old December 17, 2002, 16:40   #40
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Saint Marcus
I got 6 tickets for the friday show at 10:30pm, in the second biggest movie theater in the world. Anyone care to join me?
If you'll take care of the plane ticket?
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old December 17, 2002, 16:55   #41
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Watched the extended DVD last weekend to get ready...

Bought my tickets last night for a showing tomorrow night at 6:00...

Planning on going again next Saturday...

Yeah, I'm ready for it!!!

RE: Frodo's vision - It was defined as 'possibility' in the movie if the Ring was recovered by Sauron. I'm also guessing Peter Jackson has Saruman killed in TTT, so 'Scouring' will be reduced in importance. Just speculation though.

Grey Havens needs to stay in!!!
Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
...aisdhieort...dticcok...
Old December 17, 2002, 17:06   #42
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Incidentally, SEE HEX'S SIG
Old December 17, 2002, 17:09   #43
DinoDoc
Deity

I don't have CTP2. Is there a Civ version of the scenario?
Old December 17, 2002, 17:13   #44
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Only Harlan's. But you must have played that already, right?
Old December 17, 2002, 17:53   #45
Saint Marcus
King

Quote:
If you'll take care of the plane ticket?
If you can convince me you are a cute gal I would
Old December 17, 2002, 17:54   #46
DinoDoc
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Saint Marcus
If you can convince me you are a cute gal I would
That's fine. I'll go see it in an American theater then.
Old December 17, 2002, 18:19   #47
Saint Marcus
King

Quote:
I'll go see it in an American theater then.
pfff...American...

fine, you go see it in a tiny little theater then, with a screen half the size. Just come here, I got a 7.10 euro ticket to the movie here waiting for you on my desk.
Old December 17, 2002, 18:38   #48
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

My eyes are runny from tears of anticipation for TTT.
Old December 17, 2002, 19:04   #49
Andrew1999
Warlord

The movie reviewer at CNN is officially a frickin' idiot.

Some quotes from his review of the Two Towers:
Quote:
The overprotective Sam harbors an immediate dislike towards Gollum, but the ever-trusting Frodo, perhaps feeling a kinship for someone who has also had to bear the pressures and consequences of holding the ring, takes pity on the strange, hairless little being. Gollum joins Sam and Frodo, leading them to the fortress of the evil wizard Saruman, played by Christopher Lee, whose hairdo looks a lot like Cher's in her latest music video. But I digress. Saruman intends to regain the ring, which will give him the power to throw Middle Earth into everlasting darkness and despair.

Quote:
Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli face much more action, intrigue and deception in the Kingdom of Rohan, while Sam and Frodo -- who have penetrated the fortress at Barad-dur deep within the dark forests of Mordor -- barely survive numerous attempts to kill them and steal the ring.
I'm assuming it's the CNN reviewer (Paul Clinton) who's the idiot, and Peter Jackson hasn't changed the story beyond recognition. Did he even watch the movie, or was he just making it up out of his ass?

Here's the whole thing:
http://www.cnn.com/2002/SHOWBIZ/Movi...ers/index.html
Old December 17, 2002, 19:55   #50
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Weird review.
Old December 17, 2002, 21:29   #51
korn469
Emperor

i scored tickets for myself and a friend at the midnight showing tonight, i'm about to go get cleaned up and get ready for it, but all i'm saying is i can't wait!!!!

i hadn't read any of the LotR books before I saw the first movie, but after seeing it on the first night i have being waiting for this day to come around, i read the first book after seeing the movie, and i will read the second after seeing the movie (this may sound weird but i don't want the book spoiling the movie for me) so i go into this not knowing exactly what will happen

i'm excited!
Old December 17, 2002, 22:14   #52
Darkworld Ark
Warlord

I'm going to go see LotR:TT tonight at midnight, so I'll give my opinion around 4 when I get back. (I have to drive a hour to get to the closest movie theatre playing it at midnight)
Old December 17, 2002, 22:55   #53
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Quote:
Did he even watch the movie, or was he just making it up out of his ass?
Hmmm... if he was making it out of his ass, how would he have known what Barad-dur was?
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old December 17, 2002, 23:23   #54
DanS
Deity

"I got 6 tickets for the friday show at 10:30pm, in the second biggest movie theater in the world. Anyone care to join me?"

How many seats does the theater have? Stadium seating?
Old December 18, 2002, 00:11   #55
korn469
Emperor

i'm leaving in 10 minutes!
i can't wait!!!!!!
Old December 18, 2002, 05:09   #56
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Someone let us know if it's Paul Clinton or Peter Jackson who is a complete idiot.
Old December 18, 2002, 05:09   #57
korn469
Emperor

ok i'm home from the movie, i completely enjoyed it, houston we have a good movie

we got to the theater about 11:30 and i live in a small town in rural virginia, our theater has 8 screens, and i jokingly told my friend when we got there that they'd be showing the two towers on every screen and much to my suprise they were! for the first time ever they had all 8 screens playing the same movie, i haven't ever seen the parking lot that crowded, and it's midnight on a tuesday night...i'm sure that their won't be that many people at a midnight showing of a movie for a long time

we tried the first four screens but they were completely full so we settled on screen 6, we found us seats and although wasn't completely full it was packed, while the lights were on there was some guy reading his copy of the two towers, it just stood out to me when the movie finally started you had a theater full of happy people

i'm not going to give any major spoilers, just impressions

the movie was long, but it had a good pace, and it wasn't draggy, in my opinion the first movie was draggier than the two towers, while some of the scenes in the first movie stood out more, there really wasn't a bad or needless scene in the entire movie imo

it was also a very funny movie! the entire audience broke out into laughter on many occasions, here are my top three funniest moments in the movie

semi spoilers ahead!
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

1) when gimli falls off of his horse and is like "nobody panic, that was delibriate!"
2) when frodo and sam are detained, and they ask sam if he is frodo's body guard and he said "no i'm his gardener"
3) when gollum had the argument with himself, the entire theater was laughing

there was one really cool scene where legolas spots some wolf riders and sounds the alarm, and when gimli rides by he jumps on the horse, it was cgi and completely elf like! a very nice touch...the guy setting behind me was "holy fvck!"

i think that this movie is more light hearted than the first, it is certainly funnier, the pacing is good, and it entertained me for 3 hours and 17 minutes!

two thumbs up
Old December 18, 2002, 05:15   #58
Darkworld Ark
Warlord

I just got back from seing it, & I've got to say, it's better than the first movie.
Old December 18, 2002, 07:11   #59
OldWarrior_42
Prince

Watched a program on tv last night, I forget which channel.. DirecTV... it was called The Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers. Return To Middle Earth.

Basically it was a "The Making of" type show... very informative and interesting. Making me want to go see it again. I think I will go again this weekend. Besides, It doesn't cost me a dime to watch. :-P~~
Old December 18, 2002, 08:22   #60
aahz_capone
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesApolyton UniversityDiplomacy
Prince

I'm going to see it friday morning, when no ones at the movies but me and my mates. But first we are going to see the animated movie The Hobbit, then the Fellowship DVD extended, and then go to the movies. WOOHOO! Gonna get up at ungodly hours for this.

Paul Clinton had his head up his a$$ the entire movie. "Saruman intends to REGAIN the ring"? He never had it in the first place, it was Sauron's. Read the book you ignoramoose!