Old December 22, 2002, 09:28   #151
Saint Marcus
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 13:45
Local Date: November 1, 2010
of course you could reason your way out of that issue, but most people who saw it did believe the elves came from Rivendell.

of course, they shouldn't have put the elves in Helm's Deep at all. Holiwood sucks
Old December 22, 2002, 11:37   #152
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 14:45
elves are cool. we should have more elves in all scenes in a any possible way
Old December 22, 2002, 13:38   #153
November Adam
Prince

Local Time: 05:45
guess they needed skilled archers for the battle, not too many from Rohan I guess.
Old December 23, 2002, 03:57   #154
Kc7mxo
King

Local Time: 07:45
In the book there were plenty of rohirrim at helms deep, inclouding eomer. It was Erkenbrand (a major rohirrim lord who'd gone off to fight the orcs with his own troops) gandalf went to find, and brought back.

I just don't understand so many of the changes they made. I don't mind most of them, but I just don't see why they changed them.
Old December 23, 2002, 04:43   #155
Robert Plomp
admin
DiploGamesBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamC4WDG Team Apolyton
Administrator

They changed it because in a movie you can't keep on introducing new characters. Why introduce eomer AND Erkenbrand, if one person could do both jobs.

That way it's possible for the general watcher to understand the story.
Old December 23, 2002, 04:44   #156
Timexwatch
King

Local Time: 08:45
Call me a dork, but I thought that Helm's Deep was the worst instance of Midevil siege warfare that I've ever seen. I was thinking "Didn't they learn anything from Crecy and Agincourt?". And Gandalf's charge? I was hoping that they'd all be skewed for doing something that stupid.

On a more black note, was my theater the only one that had someone shout "Jihad" when the orc sapper ran in with the torch to detonate the breaching charges?

Last edited by Timexwatch; December 23, 2002 at 05:08.
Old December 23, 2002, 04:59   #157
TheStinger
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

I think he fact that the incosticiencies with the book that are being shown are really quite small show what a good job Peter Jackson has done.

I have read all the books several times and I thought it was great
Old December 23, 2002, 05:08   #158
CyberGnu
King

Local Time: 12:45
Timex, eh, what other movies show medieval siege warfare? I can't think of any at the top of my head...

Granted, I wondered what the masons were smoking when they decided to put a huge storm drain in the middle of the wall!!!!
Old December 23, 2002, 05:10   #159
Hurricane
Warlord

Quote:
With its wings it could well have flown back up again as soon as it recovered from the unexpected fall.
Quote:
Originally posted by Saint Marcus

Balrogs can't fly.
Goddammit! If they have wings, they can fly!
Old December 23, 2002, 05:24   #160
Felch
Emperor

Fire and darkness are not hampered by gravity. Balrogs can fly.
Old December 23, 2002, 05:26   #161
TheStinger
King

Gandalf even mentioned Morgorth when fighting the Balrog thatwas good
Old December 23, 2002, 07:19   #162
aahz_capone
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesApolyton UniversityDiplomacy
Prince

Oh, dear, the Balrog-flying discusion again...

If you read your Tolkein, it said that the balrog had "wings of shadow" in which "wings" could be taken taken literally or as a metaphore. The movie solved this be having only the skelton of wings and the rest darkeness. Whether the damned thing flys or not doesn't matter as it was falling backwards and Gandalf was smacking it about too.

Even if it could right itself and fly, a thing that big would need a load of running space to lift off and once falling would never be able to slow down enough to stop falling, let alone rise.

As for inconsistencies with the book the only one I really wondered at was that Faramir let Frodo go at Oligarth (sp). In the book he was released before the battle.

And yeah, that morgoth mention was cool.
Old December 23, 2002, 07:23   #163
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Osgiliath

Os. Gil. I. Ath.

Osg. Ili. Ath.

If we're gonna be geeky about this thing we may as well spell the names right.
Old December 23, 2002, 07:34   #164
aahz_capone
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesApolyton UniversityDiplomacy
Prince

sorry. but remembering over 400 made up words from tolkein is sometimes kinda hard seeing as I have no book around here to look it up. Some are more important than others too.
Old December 23, 2002, 07:39   #165
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Dont you think the dwarf was a bit underplayed in battle sequences?
The elf was great and Aragorn was ok but the dwarf with his mighty axe, they didnt quite make him to deliver.

Although he payed off in being funny
Old December 23, 2002, 07:41   #166
Robert Plomp
admin
Administrator

Quote:
sorry. but remembering over 400 made up words from tolkein is sometimes kinda hard
Ash nazg dubratuluk
ash nazg gimbatul
ash nazg trakutaluk
agh burmuz-ishi krimpatul

I thought it would be cool to learn that by heart

and about the balrog who cannot fly:
even if it could fly, it still needs space to use it's wings, and there obviously isn't enough space for that while falling down. His wings would touch the walls.
Old December 23, 2002, 11:13   #167
Saint Marcus
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III Multiplayer
King

Balrog's can't fly dammit!

Quote:
On a more black note, was my theater the only one that had someone shout "Jihad" when the orc sapper ran in with the torch to detonate the breaching charges?
No, surprisingly. I, and people with me, seemed to think the orc with the torch resembled those Olympian runners who run around with the olympic torch and light the fire at the start of every olympic games. You saw that orc running in slowmotion with only a torch in his hand, the orcs around him took a step back to make way. So to me, ironically, it seemed like an Olympian runner...a symbol of peace.

Of course, that didn't last long when Aragorn told Legolas to shoot the damned orc
Old December 23, 2002, 11:16   #168
TheStinger
King

A Balrog is one the most powerful creatures to inhabit Middlearth, it could stomp on a ringraith without braeking sweat, of course it can fly
Old December 23, 2002, 11:24   #169
Robert Plomp
admin
Administrator

Quote:
A Balrog is one the most powerful creatures to inhabit Middlearth, it could stomp on a ringraith without braeking sweat, of course it can fly
Gandalf appeared to be more powerful than this balrog, still Gandalf can't fly.
Old December 23, 2002, 12:09   #170
reismark
NationStatesApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

It's obvious to me at least we haven't seen the last of the battle at Osgiliath. It's probably going to be one of the two big parts of the last movie, which makes sense.
Head Coach/General Manager, Kyrandia Dragonhawks (2004 Apolyton Fantasy Football League Champions)
Old December 23, 2002, 13:34   #171
devilmunchkin
Warlord

...i loved this movie ..and i know it will take heat for not including the last part of the book..but the last part ends with very little hope...and so they probably wanted to save the part about frodo's capture for a plot conflict for the next movie..i'm going to go see it again
"Speaking on the subject of conformity: This rotting concept of the unfathomable nostril mystifies the fuming crotch of my being!!! Stop with the mooing you damned chihuahua!!! Ganglia!! Rats eat babies!" ~ happy noodle boy
Old December 23, 2002, 14:13   #172
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Fish
so release 2 at a time.
Since each movie is three hours long, that's kinda what they did.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old December 23, 2002, 14:16   #173
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by paiktis22
Constantinople must have been an epic battle like this but we didnt have gandalf and the elves.

(j/k)
There were ten times as many Turks and the city was better for falling to them anyway. Heck, you didn't even have a Patriarch anymore until Murad II reinstated him.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old December 23, 2002, 14:43   #174
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Local Time: 07:45
This was a great movie... 4 out of 4 stars .... I'm going to go see it again. I'm waiting for it to come out in Imax format.
Old December 23, 2002, 14:53   #175
Footie Mad
Prince

It was great, bit did they have to make Gimli into some sort of one-line comedian? Humor is ok in doses but not to the point of ridicule.
It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars
Old December 23, 2002, 17:15   #176
Stefu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Just saw it. Wow.

I loved Gimli's comic relief, esp. the "We could have picked a better space" comment when they're waiting for the orcs to attack. The whole theatre cracked up at that

Gollum... wow. Gollum's the closest to a nonhuman intelligent creature that has been portayed by CGI, ever. Those movements, those faces...! Loved the inner conversations, heck, loved the hell out the whole character! (Well, except for times at the start - occassionally a bit too real, you know?)

Realized that the plot was changed at several places, and wasn't bothered too much about it. Director doesn't need walk the exact steps of the original writer, no matter how much fanboys would prefer it to be so. Aragorn's fake death was a wee bit stupid, though.

Loved the CGI - except wargs, for some reason. I had always just imagined them as really big wolves. The warg that looked at Gimli before it was killed by Aragorn looked like a big puppet.

Inadvertent crack-up at the start of the film - Frodo feels the power of the ring and clutches his heart, suddenly a mobile telephone goes off at audience - and soon after that, Sam reaches for his backpack. Other inadvertent (almost-)crackups were the overuse of children in the Helm's Deep pre-battle scenes and the arrival of Shadowfax - it was short scene, but somehow made me think of those horse movies for 12-year-old girls. Eh, not that I've seen one.

I'm REALLY looking forwards for RotK. Esp. Shelob, big battle scenes and Frodo at the Mount Doom (hope they pull it off VERY good.)
"Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
"That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world
Old December 23, 2002, 17:45   #177
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Yeah, I saw it on Saturday, very good Tempted to go and see it again at some point

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old December 24, 2002, 02:19   #178
Robert Plomp
admin
Administrator

I'll go for a 2nd time for sure.
Who else will?

3rd time anyone?
Old December 27, 2002, 05:59   #179
Rufus T. Firefly
King

Finally saw it last night. Generally liked it, though not as much as the first one (but it's still better than anything I've seen in ages). Some comments:

* Agree with Stefu that Gimli's a riot ("Don't tell the elf" is my favorite line in either movie), but also agree with paiktis that his warrior skills should have been given the same attention as Aragorn's and Legolas'. I wanna see Gimli kick ass, dammit!

* I thought there was too much emphasis on narrative this time, and not enought on mythic themes. I loved the moment when the elves arrive at Helm's Deep, and their leader gives the speech about the old days, the ancient alliance, and the need to honor it. At that moment I thought, "Oh, right, this is about something." I love moments like that, and there were too few of them here.

* I HATE the fact that Gollum is computer animated. It's not just that he keeps reminding me of ET, Yoda, and Jar-Jar. It's that I find it impossible to work up a serious emotional response to a high-tech sock puppet. Gollum should inspire terror, dread, and ultimately pathos in that profound, ancient Greek sense. Instead he's just kinda cool looking and vaguely amusing. He should have been played by an actor.

* I know they have a huge book to adapt here, but I find it frustrating when key plot developments seem to come out of nowhere (or seem to rely on a knowledge of the book). The Elven cloaks work as camoflage? There's a dammed river above Saruman's tower? Some hint of these things before they become central to the narrative would be nice.

But that said, I'm looking forward to #3 and will surely see this one again.
Old December 27, 2002, 06:02   #180
Robert Plomp
admin
Administrator

Quote:
The Elven cloaks work as camoflage?
You should watch the Extended DVD Edition,
it's mentioned in it
I have it, wanna rent it?