Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

Local Time: 07:46
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Clinton Threatened to Attack North Korea
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...a_clinton_dc_2

Quote:
ROTTERDAM (Reuters) - Former U.S. President Bill Clinton said on Sunday his administration threatened North Korea (news - web sites) with the destruction of its nuclear facilities when the Asian state was developing weapons-grade plutonium in the early 1990s.

"We were in a very intense situation with North Korea. They were planning to produce six to eight nuclear weapons per year with plutonium extracted from power plants," Clinton said in a speech to a security forum in the Dutch port city of Rotterdam.

"We actually drew up plans to attack North Korea and to destroy their reactors and we told them we would attack unless they ended their nuclear program."

North Korea this month said it planned to restart a nuclear reactor that could be used to produce weapons-grade plutonium.

The plant was idled under a 1994 agreement with the United States aimed at preventing the reclusive Stalinist state from developing nuclear weapons.

Seoul described the decision as "unacceptable" and both the United States and South Korea (news - web sites) have put fresh pressure on Pyongyang to abandon its nuclear program.

Impoverished North Korea, which relies heavily on foreign aid to feed its people, says it needs the complex for power.

"They probably don't intend to sell these weapons but instead bargain for more aid by threats. I approve of the approach by President (George W.) Bush to work with the South Koreans, Chinese, Japanese and Russians to end this program -- but make no mistake about it, it has to be ended," said Clinton.

"You do not want North Korea making bombs and selling them to the highest bidder because they cannot feed themselves through the winter."

Under the 1994 pact, North Korea agreed to freeze operations at the Soviet-era nuclear complex in exchange for heavy fuel oil and construction of two light-water reactors, less likely to yield weapons-grade fuel.

When Pyongyang told an American envoy in October that it had been pursuing a separate, clandestine uranium-enrichment program, the United States and its South Korean, Japanese and European Union (news - web sites) allies decided to halt fuel oil shipments.

Bush has branded North Korea part of an "axis of evil" along with Iraq and Iran.
A job left undone?
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old December 17, 2002, 14:16   #2
Stefu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 14:46
Clinton also planned to use his super-powered penis to blow away that comet threatening the Earth (what comet? Did I mention a comet? I don't see any mentions of comets around here) but sort of forgot it and wandered away.
"Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
"That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world
Old December 17, 2002, 14:24   #3
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 08:46
@ Stefu.

I was waiting for someone to start a thread on this story.

It raises a couple of questions in my mind:

1) Why is Bill Clinton divulging such information? Is he helping Bush (in a very strange good cop/bad cop routine)?
2) Would we dare to attack NK without China's & Russia's approval?

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old December 17, 2002, 14:25   #4
Giancarlo
King

Local Time: 09:46
Clinton threatens to do a lot of things. Only problem is he never did any of them.
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old December 17, 2002, 14:25   #5
Sprayber
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian

-Arrian
Perhaps thats why it never happened
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old December 17, 2002, 14:28   #6
Clear Skies
Prince

Local Time: 12:46
Clinton was the best Republican President America's ever had.
"Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman
Old December 17, 2002, 14:30   #7
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian
@ Stefu.

I was waiting for someone to start a thread on this story.

It raises a couple of questions in my mind:

1) Why is Bill Clinton divulging such information? Is he helping Bush (in a very strange good cop/bad cop routine)?

-Arrian
Its penis envy. Bush has been brandishing a bigger stick than Clinton and Bill can't deal with it.

Insofar as attacking NK, no we would not invade without the support of China. But we could very well take out targets from the air. This would not precipitate a war with China.
Old December 17, 2002, 15:58   #8
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Clear Skies
Clinton was the best Republican President America's ever had.
Is that why he and Tony got along so well?
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old December 17, 2002, 16:18   #9
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

Too bad he didn't do it. We could be working fresh issues today.
Old December 17, 2002, 16:22   #10
Andrew1999
Warlord

Local Time: 06:46
Yes, like trying to rebuild northeast Asia from the Second Korean War. Well, the parts that aren't still glowing anyway.
Old December 17, 2002, 17:16   #11
Clear Skies
Prince

Local Time: 12:46
Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
Is that why he and Tony got along so well?
Yup. America's best Republican and Britain's best Tory.
Old December 17, 2002, 17:52   #12
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 02:46
Somehow, Clinton making the statement for the good of the nation seems the most improbable reason. Personal vanity or Democrat vs Republican p[olitics seems much more likely.

Also, if he was such a swingining **** why did he try to appease Saddam on inspections (secretly urging the inspectors not to press inspections in the mid-90's. For which Scott Ritter retired in protest and revealed US actions to Congress.)
Old December 17, 2002, 17:53   #13
Saint Marcus
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 13:46
Quote:
Clinton threatens to do a lot of things. Only problem is he never did any of them.
**cough**Kosovo**cough**
Old December 17, 2002, 17:54   #14
FNBrown
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 04:46
Either this story is total B.S., or Clinton should be brought up on charges of revealing national secrets.
Old December 17, 2002, 18:39   #15
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 22:46
I seem to recall the US's sabre rattling during the Korean nuclear crisis being extensively covered by the world's media. It's hardly rocket science to deduce that the US had a plan to attack Korea's nuclear facilities.
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon
Old December 17, 2002, 21:21   #16
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Local Time: 06:46
GP:

I was under the impression that Scott Ritter pulled up his stakes because the inspection teams were riddled with intelligence agents, not because inspections weren't being pushed hard enough.

Gatekeeper

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius
Old December 17, 2002, 21:28   #17
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 05:46
I threatened to invade Missouri once. Who cares?
Old December 17, 2002, 21:42   #18
Sprayber
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Boris Godunov
I threatened to invade Missouri once. Who cares?
I didnt think you would have anything to say about your boy.
Old December 17, 2002, 21:44   #19
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 05:46
Quote:
Originally posted by Sprayber

I didnt think you would have anything to say about your boy.
My boy? I never sired/gave/birth to/owned/fellated Clinton at any point, good sir.
Old December 17, 2002, 21:48   #20
Sprayber
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Boris Godunov

My boy? I never sired/gave/birth to/owned/fellated Clinton at any point, good sir.
I guess I should know that since I met his mother long ago.
Old December 17, 2002, 21:53   #21
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Local Time: 08:46
I thought this was old news?

It was discussed openly when Carter got the Peace Prize, since he was the mediator that defused the situation and got us to the Agreed Framework. Carter pulled Clinton's nuts out of the fire.

Of course, the Agreed Framework is toast right now, so Clinton might not want to own up to the bastard he sired.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old December 17, 2002, 23:46   #22
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Gatekeeper
GP:

I was under the impression that Scott Ritter pulled up his stakes because the inspection teams were riddled with intelligence agents, not because inspections weren't being pushed hard enough.

Gatekeeper
I watched several hours of the testimony. Did you? Ritter specifically said that the US told the UN to tell the inspectors not too push on various inspections. The administration did this through back channels and secretly because they did not want a confrontation but wanted to maintain a fiction that we were not weakening on inspections. (Obviously that fiction was only for the benefit of the general public.)

Go read Ritter's testimony. (I'm not making this up. You could disagree with Ritter. You could even disagree with my interpretation. But certainly, he did say that the administration tried to stop the inspectors from various showdowns and did so secretly. Albright, etc. did not Ritter's claims...or even justify the actions. They just said it was none of Ritter's business what the US decided to do in backchannel UN armtwisting.)

I'll go look up some stuff on the net.
Old December 18, 2002, 01:10   #23
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Here are some links:

http://www.ceip.org/programs/npp/ritter.htm
(his testimony)

http://www.fas.org/news/iraq/1998/09/980907-in.htm (bit of a conservative slant...but you get the basic claims that I made.)