Old December 17, 2002, 14:55   #1
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 12:47
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Candle'Bre's #1 hobby (plus: Name This Game)
Because I'm lazy I'm just going to cut/paste/quote the posts I made about this in the Candle'Bre private team forum back in May of this year.

I would be grateful if people would give this game a try and tell me what they think. Also: if you can think of a good name for it that'd be cool too.

Quote:
Chris sent me an email yesterday and asked me if I could try and come up with a card game that the inhabitants of Candle’Bre might enjoy playing. It appears that he mentioned such a thing in a piece of creative writing and liked the idea, but obviously thought that he should try and talk some other poor fool into actually creating the damn thing!
(only joking, mate, I had a blast coming up with this!)

So then … here it is! This is only a very rough draft. I’ve played a couple of playtest games of the main version (not the variants that I talk about at the end, though) and it seems to play pretty well. It’s weird and fantasy-ish, but is clearly inspired by chess (only it uses cards, not pieces) so it has a grounding in reality and should be simple to learn, but difficult to master.

We’ll see, though … feel free to voice your comments, suggestions and criticisms as you see appropriate. I’d like this to be a team effort – I’m just getting the ball rolling here.

I apologise in advance for the awful diagrams in the following description, but they were all I had time to throw together using MS Paint.
Old December 17, 2002, 14:55   #2
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Rules (click links for example pictures):

Quote:
This game is still without a name … so any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Needed for play:

1) One game board
2) Two sets of game cards (9 cards per set)

Unfortunately you’ll have to make these cards yourself if you want to try this game out … you can’t use ordinary playing cards because everything in this game is triangular.

Yes … you read that right, it’s all triangular.

The board and the cards:

The game board is made up of 52 equilateral triangles arranged in 4 rows of 13.
Thusly:

Each card is also an equilateral triangle with dimensions slightly smaller than the tiles on the game board. It has a number between 2 and 9 printed adjacent to each of its three edges. These numbers always add up to 13.
Thusly:

Each player has a set of 9 cards and each set is identical.
The numbers on the cards are:
4 – 5 – 4 (x2)
5 – 5 – 3 (x2)
7 – 3 – 3
9 – 2 – 2
6 – 5 – 2
8 – 3 – 2
6 – 4 – 3

Start-up:

When the game starts Player A goes first and places one of his cards anywhere in the row of triangles nearest to him on the game board.
Here is a pic of where each player can play his or her cards, Player A is red and Player B is blue:

After Player A has placed one card in his starting zone then Player B places two cards in his zone. The play then goes back and forth, with each player placing two cards in their respective zones until all cards are on the board. (On Player B’s last go he will only have one card to place).

Movement will then commence.

Player A goes first and moves any one of his cards. A card can move to either of the two triangles immediately to the side of it, or any of the arcs of three triangles directly in front or behind it.
Thusly:

When the card is moved it can be rotated in any way so that the player can choose in what direction each of the card’s numbers will be facing.

Player B then does likewise and the moves alternate until the game’s conclusion.

Combat:

When two cards of opposing teams are position so that their borders are touching then combat will ensue. The combat model is pretty simple … basically whichever card has the lower number is destroyed and is removed from the game board. If one of Player A’s cards is moved so that it shares two borders with cards from Player B then the order of resolution is determined by the difference between the values on the opposing edges of the cards. The highest difference between the two values is resolved first, but all combats must be resolved during the turn.
(Does that last bit make sense? If anyone doesn’t understand the order of resolution then I’ll make another awful diagram)
If the numbers on the opposing edges are identical then the combat is considered a draw and both cards remain on the table.

Winning:

The first player to annihilate the opposing army is the winner.
New rules note: A player MUST make one move each turn, passing on your turn is not possible.

Last edited by FrustratedPoet; December 17, 2002 at 15:01.
Old December 17, 2002, 14:58   #3
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Variant Rules:

Quote:
These variants … well the last two at least … will drastically alter strategy and gameplay for the base version. I suppose that elements of several variants could be combined together, but I can’t deal with that possibility right now.

Surprise Attack:
In this variant each player’s cards are shuffled and placed face down in a pile in front of them before placement begins at the start of the game. The player must draw a card from the top of the pile and place them in order, rather than choosing which card to place.

Assimilation:
When a card is defeated in combat, instead of being removed from the game it is ‘captured’/’converted’ and can be moved only by the other player. If a card changing allegiance provokes another combat – because it is adjacent to one of its former team-mates – then combat will be resolved immediately. If the converted card is victorious then the card it defeated is also converted … and so on. To avoid infinite loops: if a converted card engages in combat during the round in which it was converted, and loses that combat, then it retains it’s new allegiance and is not re-converted to its former side … such combats are considered a draw. The balance of power in this variant can swing very quickly because a single victory in combat can set off a chain reaction that converts many cards to your side.
A card’s change of allegiance can be shown visually be the placing of bits of coloured glass (in either red or blue, as appropriate) on every card at the start of the game. When a card is converted its existing token is removed and a new one of a different colour put on. (For the purposes of play-testing any marker will do, naturally.)
Win conditions: I’m not sure if they total annihilation win condition will work for this variant. Because the games will fluctuate so much it might take months for someone to gain control of every card at once. Perhaps it is best to say that the first player to have control of 14 cards at the end of their turn (eg. All of their own plus more than half of the opponent’s) wins the game.
(Again … this is pretty complex … if I didn’t make myself clear enough then don’t hesitate to ask for clarification.)

Fortress:
In this variant each player is given an additional three cards, each of them with a value of 1 – 1 –1. When these cards (and only these) are destroyed, instead of being removed from the game board they are turned upside down to act as an impenetrable barrier. If some sad player completely boxes in one of their cards, thus eliminating the possibility of their entire army being destroyed, then they lose the game.
The End.
Old December 17, 2002, 21:21   #4
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 14:47
Quote:
Rules (click links for example pictures)
Hmm, FP...
We are not allowed in there.......
So, if you wanted non-candlebreers to see these, you're gonna have to think about something else
Old December 17, 2002, 21:46   #5
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Local Time: 07:47
Hmmm...

I would recommend registering at the forums. If its in a staff forum, tho, that won't do anything. Let me see...
Old December 18, 2002, 04:17   #6
BigRich
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Warlord

It definitely seems to be a staff forum unfortunately. The site recognises me, but won't let me see the pretty pictures!

Rich.
Old December 18, 2002, 04:32   #7
BigRich
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Warlord

OK as a name, how about Devil's Triptych.

Devil's - well 13 is an unlucky number right??
Triptych - and everything in the game is based on threes.

Rich.
Old December 18, 2002, 05:16   #8
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by alva

Hmm, FP...
We are not allowed in there.......
So, if you wanted non-candlebreers to see these, you're gonna have to think about something else
*sigh*

Game board example:
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	game board.gif
Views:	139
Size:	2.6 KB
ID:	31957  
Old December 18, 2002, 05:16   #9
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

An example of a card:

(note: yours don't have to be this ugly )
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	card_example.gif
Views:	140
Size:	1.3 KB
ID:	31958  
Old December 18, 2002, 05:17   #10
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

OH F**KING HELL - why oh why can't you add an attachment when editing a post!
Old December 18, 2002, 05:18   #11
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

where each team can place their cards at the start of the game:
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	placement zones.gif
Views:	132
Size:	3.0 KB
ID:	31959  
Old December 18, 2002, 05:19   #12
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

where each card can move: (A.K.A [+5])
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	movement grid.gif
Views:	121
Size:	2.9 KB
ID:	31961  
Old December 20, 2002, 11:26   #13
DeepO
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

I thought Vel already used the name "King's Arms" in the Jacob Dunn story that is currently being posted? Or did that refer to another game I know nothing about?

DeepO
Old December 20, 2002, 11:30   #14
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

This bit?

Quote:
Malachai sensed the threat (though apparently, not its source), and nodded at his Master, loosening his blade in its sheath casually, but following Randall's lead and keeping his tone light. "I think we'll be able to keep plenty busy, isn't that right, Jacob?...perhaps another game of King's Gambit? I think we can find some cards around here somewhere."
Whaddya say Chrissy-baby?
Old December 20, 2002, 12:44   #15
DeepO
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

King's Gambit... sorry for the wrong quote. Yes, that and another quote from the game was what I was referring too... I assumed it was your game, although it could of course be that Vel had another game-in-the-game in mind

DeepO
Old December 20, 2002, 15:52   #16
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Hey guys! Yep...that was my temporary name for FP's game, pending an official name for it!

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.