Old December 18, 2002, 03:58   #1
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Local Time: 14:48
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Financial Discipline.
I don't have.

And it's starting to take its toll.

Whatever I have, I'll spend it. Then I'm OK without any, untill the next pay comes when I will spend it again, all of them.

Plus I don't "do" tax sheets. Well, actually I do but always delayed - and pay the fine.

And I still owe money to the tax agency. I could have cleared it all up when I got a nice sum of money, but nope, I go and spend it all again.

Is it a disease or something?

I can't hold on to money.

When I go out, I don't care, I'll always order whatever I fancy never caring about money or if I can afford it. If my cash card or my pockets are filled, that's all I care for. I'll provide for my friends pay the whole bill myself (they do the same if I don't have any money).

Not a thought about financial responsibilities.

I feel like suffocating when I have no money to spend.

I mean it's alright but I feel SO much better when I spend 'em.

But I spend them without any regard for the future.

I have never been denied anything in my life when growing up, could that be it?

Even though my family was not wealthy they always provided for me.

And it's not like I don't realize what financial strain is, I do, or do I?

It's like I don't care for the future at all.

You're young, go and spend it, as my father would say, but it gets restrictive.

For example I can't plan to buy something of value because I never know if I can afford it! (because of the money I owe to the tax agency).

Never ANY planning.

My money go to everyday things. It's not like I go spend days at the Hilton or anything.

Expensive drinks, expensive mags, expensive dinners (on almost daily basis) that's it, my money is all gone.

And it gets more and more frustrating.

But if I am to think that I shouldn't buy this because I can't afford it, I'd get depressed!!!!! I'll buy it and the hell with it.

I'm probably ****ed.

The way I figure is I prefer to not plan and have the consequences than just stop and think and don't give the money...

It all came to a point few ays ago.

I had a nice sum of money and it was EXACTLY what I owed the tax agency.

If I would give it in, I wouldn't have any debts. Free as a bird.

But what did I do? No, I put it all in my bank account and start spending it. And not only that. I refuse to check my account to see how much money there was left.

Untill the ATM says, at some point, that there's no more to give me (logical)

I refused to check. Like that bird which hides his head in the sand...

Anybody in a similar situation?

"Doctor is it bad?"

Anyway, in the spirit of the recent Poly confessions, that's mine.

I'll try and put some order in my financial house...

That thing with me just eating up all the money I should have given to the tax agency and refusing to check my account but instead just taking and taking it really scared me!

(But I mean it's MY money, I earned it busting my ass working, why would the tax agency have it?
Because I wasn't ok in my obligations towards it, yes....)
Old December 18, 2002, 04:08   #2
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 05:48
I'm actually too disciplined. I am too frugal. I agonize over buying expensive items. I usually just put it off and don't buy expensive things.
Old December 18, 2002, 04:10   #3
Bereta_Eder
Settler

And I spend them stupidly.

For example, there is a bus that could take me exactly where I want to go.

No. I can't be bothered to wait 15 minutes for it to come and wait at every stop it makes.

I'll take a cab. (They should probably make me honorary president of the Athenian Taxi Association, I get more cabs than anybody)

Let's say there is this product that is cheaper down the street but twice the price in the nearby store.

I'll buy it from the nearby store, I won't bother to go down the street and get it cheaper.

And other stupid, STUPID spending habits like this.
Old December 18, 2002, 04:17   #4
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
I'm actually too disciplined. I am too frugal. I agonize over buying expensive items. I usually just put it off and don't buy expensive things.
So do you know exactly what you have, what you owe (if anything), what you can afford to buy etc?
Old December 18, 2002, 04:18   #5
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

yes
Old December 18, 2002, 04:19   #6
Bereta_Eder
Settler

I'm frugal too, kind of. It's not like I live the high life or anything.

Most of those are STUPID spendings.
Old December 18, 2002, 04:19   #7
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
yes
I envy you
Old December 18, 2002, 05:13   #8
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Local Time: 06:48
I live on a budget as well, Paiktis. It helps that my vices are few and far between — no drinking or smoking — because that can be a real drain on the incomes of those who do partake in such activities.

I don't live extravagantly by any means — I have a 1990 vehicle, student and computer loans to repay and live in an efficiency apartment — but it's enough to get by and even save some (even if I end up having to buy medication for a chronic condition I was recently diagnosed with).

My point? Live like me, and all shall be fine.

Gatekeeper

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius
Old December 18, 2002, 05:25   #9
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 08:48
Don't forget that pricy cable modem connection, Gatekeeper .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old December 18, 2002, 05:40   #10
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Gatekeeper
I live on a budget as well, Paiktis. It helps that my vices are few and far between — no drinking or smoking — because that can be a real drain on the incomes of those who do partake in such activities.

I don't live extravagantly by any means — I have a 1990 vehicle, student and computer loans to repay and live in an efficiency apartment — but it's enough to get by and even save some (even if I end up having to buy medication for a chronic condition I was recently diagnosed with).

My point? Live like me, and all shall be fine.

Gatekeeper

Well I do smoke and it IS a financial drain. Like I say to the store, I came to pay for my cancer

Alcohol there's a thing. I don't drink except on weekends (except... exceptions!) but I do stupid spendings there as well. For example all those Smirnoff Ice, Space etc I go and buy them from a convinient store (or the Greek equivalant, the kiosk) which prices them 3 times more than a supermarket, and they are expensive to start with. But I don't care Stupid spendings there as well.

Also, saving money? What's that?

(I do have a financial safety net sort of, but I hate asking money from my mom and I never have done it from the moment I started working and I don't plan to)

Bah, what I need is a wife to get my butt in order (yeah right )

Seriously, sorry to hear about the diagnosis.
Old December 18, 2002, 06:06   #11
Saras
Emperor

Local Time: 15:48
Paiktis, get married
Old December 18, 2002, 06:49   #12
Az
Emperor

tax sheets? doesn't your workplace calculate your taxes automatically and pays them for you? I know that's how it mostly works here (unless you're a private enterpreneur )
Old December 18, 2002, 07:46   #13
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Quote:
tax sheets? doesn't your workplace calculate your taxes automatically and pays them for you? I know that's how it mostly works here
Not here. Plus it gets complicated since I also have a private enterpenerial status in the tax agency besides the salary type since I do a few sidekicks besides my main job from time to time. (and the income from that is registered as free lance)

Saras, stop sounding like my grandmother
Old December 18, 2002, 08:07   #14
Sikander
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Saras
Paiktis, get married
That's actually excellent advice. You don't have to marry someone who will extinguish your entire desire to live, simply somone who will figure out how much you can afford to spend and who gives you your allowance each day to spend as you see fit.
Old December 18, 2002, 08:50   #15
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 23:48
Take control of yourself.

You realize that getting cabs to save 15 minutes and other behaviours are stupid, so stop doing it in that kind of thing.
Old December 18, 2002, 12:56   #16
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 20:48
Realising having a problem is the first step to a cure, so that's good.

Next thing to do is to write all your bad habits out, then write down what you plan to do about them. Put copies of those in enough places so you get to read them three times a day.
Old December 18, 2002, 17:25   #17
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

I have no advice but to stay away from those convience stores. They are the devil! . That may help out a bit.
Old December 19, 2002, 04:29   #18
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Local Time: 06:48
Imran:

Cable Internet is a quasi-luxury I allow myself. I say "quasi-luxury" because I actually do use it for research from time to time. Much better than dial-up.

I confess, I'm not Amish in that sense.

Gatekeeper

Paiktis:

Yep, the butts and alcohol add up fast, eh? What's the taxation like on those things over in Euroland? Lawmakers (state level, mainly) here raise taxes on that stuff from time to time, depending on whether or not they need the tax revenue for this project or that project (or genuinely want to provide an incentive to quit those vices).

As for marriage ... heh, well, that's up to you. But having a beautiful warrior Amazon as a mate couldn't hurt! Ya just gotta get her attracted to you first, that's all.

I'm hoping to control my chronic condition via exercise and watching what I eat more closely. Crossing my fingers here (and then some).

Gatekeeper

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius
Old December 19, 2002, 05:48   #19
Rufus T. Firefly
King

Local Time: 08:48
Oscar Wilde said it best: "I can resist everything except temptation." Sounds like you. It's me, too.

First step to frugality is, as my wife says (and she's the second step ): pay yourself first. Given that you will blow through the money you have, your first task should be to have less money -- by taking some off the top of every paycheck and putting it someplace where you won't touch it. A savings account that you can't access from a bank machine is a good place. An arangement with your parents could also be good. And when you set it aside, make it savings for something -- your taxes, a major purchase, raising an army to retake Constantinople, whatever. You're less likey to spend "my new car money" than you are to spend "my savings."

But whatever you do, do not pay a buxom, leather-clad woman to spank you every time you spend too much. It just compounds the original problem. Or so I hear.
Old December 19, 2002, 05:57   #20
Saras
Emperor

--"raising an army to retake Constantinople""

Good one!
Old December 19, 2002, 07:13   #21
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Thank you for the advices

It's just that the thought of sitting down and doing a financial planing depresses me! I prefer to just hide my head in the sand and continue spending. The thought of not having lots of money in my pocket (even if most of those should be used to pay off debt) seems unbearable!

But it can go on no longer. I have to live in (utter) austerity for two months and get the whole debt situation over with and off my back once and for all. While I keep spending my debts keep mounting (I assure you that the tax collectors are heartless beasts - they put fines for every month that goes by without receiving the debt, a small fine but they accumulate)

It just has to be done I guess. There is no way out of it

(BTW the Constantinople thing has to be done with state funds I'm afraid Lord knows I have paid my fair share of the armament program 2000-2004 by the money I gave to those bloodsucking tax vultures )

Rufus, I can't dare make a long term planing. I prefer shock therapy. Two months with nothing and get the whole debt thing off my back. I can't do it little by little. Well, at least mommy will be glad that I will be in the family table for lunch and dinner each and every day after so long )

GateKeeper, they tax those things like crazy. Still not too much because there would be revolution on the streets

And speaking of the devil I have (yet again) exactly what I need to pay off the tax agency right here in my pockets. (Yes pay day and a big one)

I have already started to spend it. Tomorrow I will go to the tax agency and pay those emotionless ghouls. And then spend two months with nothing.
(**** **** **** ****)
Old December 19, 2002, 07:19   #22
Saras
Emperor

Btw, Paiktis, is any part of the movie My big fat Greek wedding true?
Old December 19, 2002, 07:23   #23
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Most are They are overexagerated of course to the point of ridicule (which is what makes them funny

Mostly true to the provinces though, the immigrants and Greeks of strong tradition.
Old December 19, 2002, 07:38   #24
Bereta_Eder
Settler

BTW speaking about teaching (you reminded me of it Rufus) I have taught journalism some months ago at an EU funded re-educational community program in a district outside Athens, as a sidekick from my main job. (the whole thing was organized under the local church ) and I have YET to go collect my money from there. I had completely forgotten about it after there was some delay at the forwarding of the funds to the ones who taught.

(Yes this is the amount of w@nkery that goes on in my head)

I'm sure the priest will be delighted to hear from me. Very soon