Old January 15, 2003, 00:07   #31
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 02:50
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Just checking in after a loooong hiatus.

Things haven't changed, I see....other than Mr. Prez trying to get into a fight in OT.
"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis
Frankychan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2003, 20:50   #32
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 22:50
I usually don't go in for things like that, but I'd been online too long and my brain was starting to auto-shutdown.

Roleplay Team, eh? Hmm . . .
Old January 21, 2003, 01:55   #33
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

After more than a month of dormancy, Beyond Alpha Centauri returns. Enjoy. Or not. They're your eyes, and you can read whatever you want.
Old January 22, 2003, 00:10   #34
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

It lives!!!!

Sorry ppl, I've been slacking off waaay more than the normal Frankychan....I'll try to do better!

.......no wise cracks ppl
Old January 22, 2003, 00:30   #35
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 23:50
Okay, I've finally gone back and read the last post made in BAC involving the Cadre, but I think picking up on that will be a bit difficult without Sprayber. I'll start working on a post to move the situation on the Cadre planet itself along a bit.
GeneralTacticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2003, 11:47   #36
Sovereign
Prince

Local Time: 07:50
Anyone remember me?

I suffered a string of bad luck the past 3 months.

You see, my computer had a "meltdown" then I had to get it repaired. After that, I was hoping to sign back onto Apolyton to get back into the story writing with you guys.

Then Apolyton won't let me sign in for some reason. It kept that up for a month and half, until X-mas.

Then finally I managed to fix the log in problem. It turned out to be my computer again. Again! I can't enter most forums on my computer, not just Apolyton, but other sites like CivFanatics, SpaceBattles, or Sci Fi related forums, etc.

Then I had tons of work to do after X-mas. I'm now working in a computer lab all day on Monday and Wed. so I'm able to sign in Apolyton anytime from there, and there's no time limit or restrictions from the lab itself.

So, hopefully I'm back... if no more bad luck or "mysterious" jinx's happen to me.

So, what have I missed in the past 3 months? I'll have to go all the way back and reread my posts to get back my "continuing story arc" feel. Then I gotta digest any new information or BAC plot points. Then think of my response to it all.

Then finally create a story segment.

I'm gonna see BAC to the end, even though I may be out of action at times due to work or computer trouble. I'm going to keep my promise.

Laters,
Academician Randius Zakharov
Sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2003, 22:50   #37
Mr. President
Emperor

Sovereign lives!

Old January 24, 2003, 16:37   #38
Frankychan
King

It's good to see your back Sovereign! That sucks that all that crud happened...but it's good to see you again!

And looky there, GeneralTacticus is also here! It's like a reunion all over again.

Works been biting me in the a** though.....and I gotta plan another tour of our lovely local correctional facility for another class....whoopie.

Good seeing you guys again!
Old January 29, 2003, 16:33   #39
Sovereign
Prince

Guys, do I smell or what? I come in and suddenly everyone left except President and Franky.

Is it just me, or is BAC in a serious slump? I've only seen 2 replies after my recent post in this thread in the last week.

I got some ideas about "role-play" and "secret projects" and a few other ideas to tie it more into SMAC-X game-universe. If there's anyone still alive out there, I'd like to discuss some of my ideas. I gotta put it all down on paper.

Hopefully you guys are either having a bad time like I did, or have writers block that can be resolved soon.

Laters.
Old January 29, 2003, 22:01   #40
History Guy
PtWDG RoleplayACDG Planet University of TechnologyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameApolyton Storywriters' GuildC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 06:50
Hey there Sovereign! We thought Emperor Yang had bitten your head off, or something! Good to see you back, old chap.

I would like to post...but I'd like to see Kassiopeia do his long expected diplomatic meeting one first, the one he said he was working on for...months!! Aaaaaaaaaaaargh!
History Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2003, 22:23   #41
Mr. President
Emperor

Don't worry, Sovereign, we're just lazy because we're all on vacation. When I go back to college in a month or so and Beyond Alpha Centauri becomes a viable alternative to doing actual work, you should see me in here a lot more often.

Lonestar has departed indefinitely, Mellian is gone for good by administrative injunction (remind me to tell you about that one time), Sprayber is temporarily absent, and it doesn't look like Urban Ranger wants in any more. (If you're reading this, Urban Ranger, feel free to correct me.)

As for your ideas, feel free to post them if you like.
Old January 31, 2003, 14:14   #42
Frankychan
King

Quote:
Originally posted by History Guy
Hey there Sovereign! We thought Emperor Yang had bitten your head off, or something! Good to see you back, old chap.
.....wait......hey, that's a shot a Yang!

My situation at Apolyton has gone from coming onto the site every day to once or twice a week thanks to my new classes this semester and work (i don't stay at a comp. terminal that long anymore).

Oh well...
Old January 31, 2003, 16:21   #43
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 15:50
Quote:
Originally posted by History Guy
I would like to post...but I'd like to see Kassiopeia do his long expected diplomatic meeting one first, the one he said he was working on for...months!! Aaaaaaaaaaaargh!
There are a few problems with that.
1.) There are several, several posts of BAC I have never read.
2.) I haven't the foggiest of what I should write about, because of 1.)
3.) I have a chronic lack of time, since I'm going to school, doing other stuff, reading, playing, watching anime all night long, etc.
4.) I have no inspiration for SMAC or any of it's descendants since I can't install SMAC on my old computer (not enough HDD space).
5.) I have a bad case of the Blank Page Syndrome...
6.) And even if I got rid of it, my more urgent projects are a) my novel (which isn't progressing that well) and b) a comical scetch I'm supposed to write to be played in an AnimeConvention.

So you see, my daily, weekly or montly schedules have little BAC in them, and even if they did, I'd still need the willpower and persistency to be arsed to read the last few posts, and get back on track and figure out what the heck I should write about.

I haven't even had the time to continue my Greg and Filkins plotline...
Old February 3, 2003, 18:15   #44
Sovereign
Prince

Hello, ye faithful ones!

I shalt presenth these ideas of interest.

1. Secret Projects:

I think if the factions did Secret Projects, it'd add an element of interest and uniqueness.

We could think about some Secret Project that exemplifies a faction's strength. For example, the Hive could do a "Cloning Vats" type of Secret Project, while the Drones could build a "Self Aware Colony" style of Project.

We can use our imaginations to devise Secret Projects, but make ones that are feasible. Remember, we're not limited to Chiron anymore. We have whole solar systems worth of resources to use.

So we can afford to have a little more grand Secret Projects than the Alpha Centauri game, because of the additional resources.

2. Tying up loose ends:

Some people quit or are gone indefinitely, like Mellian and Lonestar. How should we continue our story arcs if the author keeps back the whole group for a long time?

Such as, my University's story arc with Lonestar's Protectorate of Man faction. Since Lonestar will be absent for an indefinite period of time, how should I manage that story arc?

Leaving it to rot or "grow mold", or leaving unanswered plot lines isn't exactly the best way of writing stories.

How about this? We take it in our own hands, if the author has absouletely no intention of coming back, or kicked out like Mellian?

For example, to "tie-up" the story arc I had planned with the Protectorate of Man...

I'd have to take up the mantle of the Protectorate, controlling both the Protectorate and University. So I can keep the story arc going on, with posts between both sides. I keep doing this for the remainder of the story arc. Then when I finish the story arc, I leave the Protectorate as a neutral faction, open if anyone else wants to write for it, or if Lonestar does come back.

That way, we can still maintain a sense of continuity, without agonizing dead-ends or unresolved plot lines that could have been interesting ones, etc.

These 2 ideas are the only ones I can think of right now. More are coming to a computer near you very soon!

Laters.
Old February 3, 2003, 19:12   #45
Mr. President
Emperor

Both of those sound fine to me. I think you're right that plotlines probably shouldn't be left hanging, particularly ones that were once major like the University-Protectorate relations. So go ahead. Urban Ranger doesn't seem to be coming back, so I can pick up the Gaians again for a while, if need be. (I sort of started a plotline but never finished it. )

If anyone has ideas for Beyond Alpha Centauri Secret Projects, I suggest they post them as they think of them.
Old February 4, 2003, 21:03   #46
Lonestar
inmate
King

Local Time: 08:50
Soveriegn, PM me your ideas to tie up that stand off. I was considering posting a Protectorate post (double word score!) tonight that resolved the Standoff with the "Fleet returning with the prisoners the University seized."

Also, head of Archeology on BH3, Dr. Matthew Bucher finally found the key to activate the "Star-Gateway" (*cough*) near the north pole on BH4. Obviously, the "Star-gateway" is just one way to interpet "stargate".
Lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2003, 00:25   #47
Mr. President
Emperor

Lonestar lives!
Old February 5, 2003, 18:18   #48
Lonestar
inmate
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. President
Lonestar lives!
:: Pats Body :::

So I do....
Old February 6, 2003, 13:07   #49
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

Sorry I've been gone for so long. Things are starting to get put back together here for the time being. My National Guard Unit is on standby right now so I may be taking a little trip to the desert soon. Funny in a way since right outside the snow is falling down and there is already 3 inches. Glad to see there is life still present on this thread. I have had a post prepared but its on another computer right now. It basically deals with a Spartan station on the fringe being attacked by unknown forces. It will be something that is unexplainable but will compel Kessel to leave Firaxis in order to deal with internal problems resulting from the attack. The Spartans will put themselves on a war footing which may or may not arouse fears from the other goverments. I'm sure the Hive will take note of the rapid build up from the already normally high Spartan estabilishment.
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Sprayber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2003, 14:11   #50
Frankychan
King

Good to see old faces again! Lonestar & Sprayber.....

Sprayber-Sounds good. I'll have a Hive reaction if/when you are able to post. It'll mostly be internal Hive stuff just in case you get shipped to the desert.

Take Lonestar and Sprayber. And kick some a**!
Old February 8, 2003, 01:09   #51
Mr. President
Emperor

What Franky said. I'm with you all the way, Sprayber!

(Wish it was snowing here.)
Old February 8, 2003, 19:26   #52
Lonestar
inmate
King

Sprayber, what's your MOS? I'm a Cryptologic Technician (Maintenance) in the Navy on my way to the USS Bunker Hill...which is already in the Gulf.
Old February 9, 2003, 15:27   #53
Sprayber
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Lonestar
Sprayber, what's your MOS? I'm a Cryptologic Technician (Maintenance) in the Navy on my way to the USS Bunker Hill...which is already in the Gulf.

35F Special electronic device repairer.

night vision goggles
thermal imagers for weapons
chemical dectors
mine dectors
gps systems
pads - system for artillary spotting (phased out earlier in the 90`s)
and some MLRS stuff for the artillary guys

My unit ( one year before i got in) went to Saudi during the first gulf war and stayed there for some 9 months both during desert shield and following desert storm. They moved twice and ended up in inside Iraq near the end of the war. We have the unfortionate destinction of being a non divsional direct support unit that can end up supporting anyone including allied units. There is the possibility that we would go to Korea in the event of some confrontation there since we spent some training time in south korea. I joined the national guard ( state run and controlled) and ended up being sent to Europe for most of our training missions.

edit: be kind for my spelling. i´m using a spanish keyboard and its all rearrainged on me .
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old February 10, 2003, 15:37   #54
Lonestar
inmate
King

Mat-man, eh? Yessir, I'm suppose to fix a vast array of mostly cool intelligence gathering stuff, but because of my big ole chunk of general electronics knowledge, I will also be called upon to fix copiers and what not.
Old February 10, 2003, 16:08   #55
Sovereign
Prince

Sup guys?

Franky, I'll have to hold off the GHE - Uni story for a bit. I'll prolly get back to the GHE stuff by March, that way, I can have a relaxed pace finishing up the Protectorate story arc. I can't concentrate and focus on so many things all at once.

Besides you're in a state of semi-limbo, correct?

Lonestar, the rough draft of the story is on its way. Some minor editing and stuff, then we're good to go. Prolly by Wed. at the latest.

Sprayber, good to see you again! Go kick some arse!
Old February 10, 2003, 18:54   #56
Lonestar
inmate
King

Put up a small "Interlude", in which Ian plays a small joke on a Morganite Industrial Espionage Agent.
Old February 11, 2003, 16:09   #57
Frankychan
King

Sovereign-that's cool, take the time you need to work on other stuff. You're right in that I am in "semi-limbo". I only can access the internet sporadically this semester since my comp at home is fried and they have me moving all over the place at work.

Have a good one, guys.
Old February 12, 2003, 18:41   #58
Sovereign
Prince

Lonestar

I was working on the draft of my post about our story arc, then I went back to look over your and my previous posts. Then a couple of serious continuity errors cropped up about fleet actions, now I gotta rewrite 2 sections of my post. URGH!

I guess that's what you get for being absent from BAC for like, 3 or 4 months.

But don't worry, it won't take long, or forever.

Franky

When's your semester end? Just wondering, since after Lonestar and I finish the story arc, I'd like to pick up on the GHE story arc. Is next semester better? or are you off for the summer? I'm taking the summer off.
Old February 14, 2003, 13:52   #59
Frankychan
King

My semester ends in May. As for summer...there's a good chance that I'll graduate if they offer the class I need in the summertime, if not, then I'll have to go back to school in the fall...

But, I'll be checking in to see if I need to post or to catch up on what's going on so don't worry.

Like I said before, I'm staying in BAC
Old February 21, 2003, 13:16   #60
Sprayber
Emperor

Well guys, it looks as if the war has finally caught up to me. Maybe I will get a lot of story ideas in my upcomming days. Then again given the nature of the subject matter, it might be better not to have a lot of ideas thrown my way. It's been a pleasure hanging out with you guys. If things go right, I'll be back in the not too distant future.