View Poll Results: Should cavalry upgrade to tanks?
Yes 18 32.73%
No 37 67.27%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 20, 2002, 12:12   #31
player1
Emperor

Local Time: 14:51
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I think that 20 shields difference for tripled atatck rate is the biggest problem here.

While something similar can be seen with Tank to Modern Armor upgarde, you have similar Infantry to Mech. Infantry upgarde to counterbalance that.
Old December 20, 2002, 15:59   #32
congobeast
Settler

Local Time: 07:51
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I'm in favor of the Cavalry-> Tank upgrade, but within a certain set of parameters:

New upgrade path
Knight -> Dragoon (displaces Cav, at Military Tradition) -> Cavalry (+1a, Nationalism, cost 140) -> Mounted Riflemen (+2d, Corporation, cost 180)

Early Tank (10/3/2, Refining, cost 180) -> Tank (cost 240)

Mounted Riflemen may also upgrade to Tank.

----

I did this for the reason that historically, as has been noted here, cavalry divisions- starting in the Great War- were replaced by divisions using the earliest tanks, like the British Mark IV. Some cavalry divisions remained in service (particularly on the Eastern Front), despite their effective obscelence.

Thus, my rationale is/was to kick off the 'change' by having a period in time when the earliest tanks and mounted units co-existed; and allow a full-phase in to more developed armor, once tanks had been around for a little while.

The cost upgrades for these units (well, everything in my mod in the Industrial Age and forward, actually) tend to make production slower, and represent the 'shrinking' in size of nations' armies, despite a simultaneous increase in their overall power and effectiveness.

I've done similar things around all the upgrade paths (offensive and defensive foot units, aircraft, naval units), on roughly the same premise- or at least as much as the created unit icons will allow. (My own art skills being the 'bottom of the barrel variety.)
------------------------------------