Old December 18, 2002, 17:32   #1
Jonny
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG The Lost Boys

Local Time: 07:52
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Discussion: What type of victory do we want?
We are quickly heading towards the Modern Era, and thus, the end of the game. The time has come for us to choose which victory method we want to pursue. No matter the victory method we choose to pursue, we need to choose it soon.

At this point, we really have only 3 victory types available to us: Diplomatic, Domination, or Space Race. (Culture victory is pretty much out of the question IMO because our culture levels aren't really high at this point.)

At this time, I prefer to go for a Space Race victory. I don't really think we should go for a Domination victory because we are allies with some of the nations we would have to conquer, because it would be hard to do a Domination victory without the entire world turning against us at once, and because continued conquering can cause more corruption and cause war weariness. And, I just don't like Diplomatic Victory. (I mean, we've been playing this game ever since May or June, and I wouldn't like for it to come down to one decision like that.)

Please Discuss!
Old December 18, 2002, 17:37   #2
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

How many times does this have to be re-hashed out? The last vote came out clearly in favor of a space race victory

So, the answer should be clear to all:

LET US REACH FOR THE STARS!

"If men cease to believe that they will one day become gods then they will surely become worms."
- Henry Miller

We should build the United Nations just to ensure that no-one else uses it to cause a diplomatic end of the game.

Last edited by Arnelos; December 18, 2002 at 17:47.
Old December 18, 2002, 17:57   #3
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 08:52
I remember that vote. I was dead set against it. I find it the least chanenging method we can do.

Domination would be fun with all the conflict. Lot changing every couple of weeks.

Diplomatic would be fun, expecially considering how good our foreign relation are.

Either of these would also be rather quick, allowing us to start a new game some time soon. Say in march or so.

Just my 2 cents.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old December 18, 2002, 17:57   #4
Jonny
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG The Lost Boys

Quote:
Originally posted by Arnelos
How many times does this have to be re-hashed out? The last vote came out clearly in favor of a space race victory
Oh... If there was a previous poll, I apparently missed it. Oops.

But, the Space Race is definitely the way to go.
Old December 18, 2002, 18:03   #5
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by GodKing
I remember that vote. I was dead set against it. I find it the least chanenging method we can do.

Domination would be fun with all the conflict. Lot changing every couple of weeks.

Diplomatic would be fun, expecially considering how good our foreign relation are.

Either of these would also be rather quick, allowing us to start a new game some time soon. Say in march or so.

Just my 2 cents.
We're playing on emperor level and we have to see that the AI's don't nuke us while we're trying to work on all of those expensive spaceship parts... I suspect that this is not as sure of a bet as some might claim.

Besides....

There would be no achievement more fitting to the TRIUMPH of Apolytonian civilization than the conquest of the STARS THEMSELVES in the launch of our grand spaceship! Our people will be remembered forever as the civilization that took our species to the stars. No accomplishment could even POSSIBLY be more fitting for the time and effort poured into this civiliation and its history by the many many dedicated Apolytonians over time!

Best of all... we can all enjoy the one and only cutscene (and a decent one at that) in all of Civ3... one that will be dedicated to the final triumph of the greatest civilization ever known!

There should be no question... SPACE RACE
Old December 18, 2002, 19:03   #6
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

It's true that in in Game time we could win via domination the fastest.

However, it takes a lot longer in Real Life time, due to having to move the numerous units.

My own machine was noticeably slow redrawing while scolling with the 1250 AD save. Qualifications for President during a war once we have Tanks will include having a state of the art computer at home.
Old December 18, 2002, 21:21   #7
realpolitic
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 04:52
The consensus is Space, we are finally becoming the dominant leader in tech. Whether we choose Space or Domination we should be focused on
1) Damaging or destroying Germany
2) Getting Hoover

The consensus is behind this too -- let's make sure we keep our focus.
Old December 18, 2002, 21:43   #8
jdd2007
NationStates
King

conquest. id settle for the stars though...
Old December 18, 2002, 21:59   #9
Arnelos
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by jdd2007
conquest. id settle for the stars though...
How about....

Conquest of the Stars!

(those aliens will never know what hit 'em)
Old December 19, 2002, 18:31   #10
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 14:52
hi ,

the stars might be great , but can it be done
how about a UN or other type of victory

what are our chances

have a nice day
Old December 19, 2002, 18:36   #11
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Spaceship.

Diplo would be uncertain at best, considering all the wars we've fought.
Old December 19, 2002, 18:40   #12
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Kloreep
Spaceship.

Diplo would be uncertain at best, considering all the wars we've fought.
hi ,

well we could get the UN and give each civ 5 gold a turn , it should not be to long before we get diplo then

what do we want , a victory at the first possible oppurtunity or do we go all the way untill 2050

have a nice day
Old December 19, 2002, 18:46   #13
Donegeal
PtWDG Glory of WarC4DG VoxApolyCon 06 ParticipantsC4BtSDG TemplarsSpore
Emperor

Local Time: 12:52
Come on guys... lets have some fun with this.

"Oh Yeah! We just built the spaceship lounge!"

How exciting is that?

What about:
"This victorious unit produced a great leader. "
or
"You have Captured Athens. Would you like to keep it or Raze it?"

What about the Zulu? Remember their "amphibious" assault on Uber Island? We should make them pay and show them what a real amphibious assault is like. Who would like to see two trasports full of Tanks and Marines pile into Zululand after it was bombed to pieces by the Battleships A.S.S. () UberkruX, Aggie and E_T? Now that would be a fun turnchat!

Domination would be, by far, the most fun.
Old December 19, 2002, 18:50   #14
Arnelos
Emperor

The spaceship victory represents the greater symbolic triumph... the zenith of civilization achievement.

Besides... then our competing political factions can become warring factions by the time they reach the nearest star system...
Old December 19, 2002, 18:50   #15
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Just because we aim for the spaceship doesn't mean we can't war a little along the way. Shaka does need to be punished, and his citizens liberated; but that won't take our whole economy, either monetarily or shield-wise.
Old December 19, 2002, 18:58   #16
Panag
Emperor

hi ,

we should launch the spaceship around 2025 or so , .....

this way we have all the time in the world to amuze ourselfs with those species and still build on ship with great ease , .....

have a nice day
Old December 19, 2002, 18:59   #17
Donegeal
PtWDG Glory of WarC4DG VoxApolyCon 06 ParticipantsC4BtSDG TemplarsSpore
Emperor

Local Time: 12:52
Quote:
Originally posted by Arnelos
Besides... then our competing political factions can become warring factions by the time they reach the nearest star system...
Is this then what the PTW-DG is?

Old December 19, 2002, 19:08   #18
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Definately Space Race.

And have this round of wars be the end of our waring. Wars with Tanks & Bombers are exteremly time consuming.

I spent an hour & a half each turn during a modern era war, and that was on a TINY map. On a Huge Map ...
Old December 19, 2002, 20:14   #19
Panzer32
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC4DG VoxInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshinePtWDG2 Monty PythonPtWDG2 MonkeyPtWDG2 Latin LoversPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Glory of War
Emperor

Historograph!!

but domination would probably be the most fun... Good luck to any future SMCs out there...
Proud Member of the ISDG Apolyton Team; Member #2 in the Apolyton Yact Club.
King of Trafalgar and Lord of all Isolationia in the Civ III PTW Glory of War team.
---------
May God Bless.
Old December 19, 2002, 21:20   #20
Meshelic
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 04:52
Space race sounds challenging, especially if there are nukes throughout the world being built.

U.N. win is also good too, since we have a terrible reputation. Foreign Affairs would be hugely important there obviously.

Domination/Conquest -
Old December 19, 2002, 23:25   #21
Kloreep
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Meshelic
Space race sounds challenging, especially if there are nukes throughout the world being built.
That's another reason I want to go for space race; once nukes come in to play, we should avoid war with Uranium-posessing civs like desert; literally.

Quote:
U.N. win is also good too, since we have a terrible reputation. Foreign Affairs would be hugely important there obviously.
It's not that we have a bad reputation. It's that we go around honorably wacking civs out of the game that gets us on everybody's bad side.