Old December 19, 2002, 15:29   #1
metalhead
Warlord

Local Time: 08:55
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The Longest RPG ever?
Just wondering what has been people's experience is the longest RPG in terms of play time? And in these long ones, do you spend a lot of time level-gaining, or is there a good, really long RPG out there with a solid story whose length is based more on adventuring than level-building/dungeon crawl? I personally remember playing Lunar: The Silver Star for a few hours every day after school for over a month, and it seemed to be a pretty plot driven game.
Old December 19, 2002, 15:35   #2
Drake Tungsten
Deity

If you're talking about console RPG's, then Xenogears has to be one of the longest. Great story as well.

If you're talking PC RPG's, who knows? You'd could play something like Everquest for ever...
Old December 19, 2002, 15:45   #3
Traianvs
BtS Tri-League
King

Local Time: 14:55
Well i don't know morrowind and neverwinter nights enough (right now) but it looks like Morrowind is good for adventuring...

Divine divinity and the BG saga have a plot you have to follow somewhat (but you can still do whatever you want, just not always)... i did enjoy the BG series the most though... in fact i'll never forget it: one the top games ever !!!
Old December 19, 2002, 18:09   #4
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 12:55
I think that Morrowind is actually the longe4st; at least some computer gaming magazines claim that but Neverwinter nights can be made longer with supplements downloadable from the net.
Old December 19, 2002, 18:18   #5
Comrade Chris
Alpha Centauri Democracy Game
Chieftain

BG must be long enough, and its definately one of the best
Old December 19, 2002, 19:36   #6
CapitanGarlic
NationStates
Prince

Local Time: 05:55
Online games probably shouldn't count here...
Old December 19, 2002, 20:25   #7
Tuberski

Local Time: 07:55
Morrowind is very long and very easy to mod, there are already a lot of mods for it, both official and unofficial.

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old December 19, 2002, 22:31   #8
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Morrowind

followed by Baldur's Gate 2.

As for NWN the original campaign isn't that long. I don't think you can add up original modules. And don't get me started on peristant worlds.
Old December 19, 2002, 23:00   #9
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 20:55
Well, if you take Wizardry 6-8 as one big story, there's a very, very, long game right there.
Old December 20, 2002, 07:41   #10
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 13:55
My longest RPG is the AD&D campaign that has been running for 18 years now and counting. That said, I don't think you can guage CRPG's on their longevity easily. If you stick to the essential plot only then most of them can be finished in 50 hours or less. Its the breadth of alternative paths that expand them out into much longer adventures if you choose. In that respect I think Arcanum, BG II, Morrowind, Wizardry 8 and Fallout 2 are all worthy. Planescape: Torment still caps them in terms of story content, but probably not in time taken to play.

Of all the MMORPG's I think only Asherons Call 1 had a vast amount of time and effort poured into the lore and history. Its hard to piece together parts of it without endless fighting though so I don't recommend it as a story led game.
Old December 20, 2002, 11:45   #11
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Don't paly that many RPG's but I played BG2, and that was rather long.
Old December 20, 2002, 13:04   #12
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

If you take Ultima 7 pts 1 and 2 as one story, that's also pretty long.
Old December 20, 2002, 13:28   #13
Juggler
Prince

both BG1 and BG2 are long and very enjoyable (although I think BG2 had me occupied for a longer time).
Old December 20, 2002, 15:23   #14
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Of course, isn't "length" relative? I finished BG in a month, but I first played Ultima 5 when I was 14 or so and have yet to finish it...
Old December 20, 2002, 15:31   #15
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Not really. If a game takes more hours to complete it is longer, regardless of how those hours are spread out.
Old December 20, 2002, 15:36   #16
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

No Boris.
Length is judged on game content, side quests, etc. and as Dr. Spike said; in hours to complete.

As a side note: I have spent over 15 hours stuck in BG I's 2nd chapter... I cant win
Old December 20, 2002, 16:11   #17
Comrade Chris
Alpha Centauri Democracy Game
Chieftain

yeah reloading for hours sucks.. (might and magic 6 or something, where they put 200 wolves outside some cave)
Old December 20, 2002, 19:22   #18
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Morrowind.

I've spent AT LEAST 100 hours on it, and I still have the last part of the main quest to go (which I'll ignore to do more side quests! )
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old December 21, 2002, 04:52   #19
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 15:55
I spent 120 hours on a single game of FF VIII, but most of that time was spent levelling up, playing a silly minigame and drawing magic.
Old December 21, 2002, 06:38   #20
child of Thor
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Emperor

Probably 'Alternate Reality- The city' and the follow up 'The Dungeon', on an 8bit Atari. I worked out that i spent about 2 months in real time over about 3-4 years playing this game and never finished it.
I did start BaldursGate last year but haven't had a chance to get back to it.
'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.
Old December 21, 2002, 08:06   #21
Footie Mad
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkCloud
As a side note: I have spent over 15 hours stuck in BG I's 2nd chapter... I cant win
You still stuck? I might be able to help.
It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars
Old December 21, 2002, 14:14   #22
DarkCloud
staff

Thanks for the offer.
I've looked at strategy guides and still can't play well...
-Do I need to accept EVERY side quest before going into the mines?
How far should I level up before going into the mines.

3. I hate the mines. I probably spent 5-7 hours of the game in them alone and I cant see anything

4. I turned the difficulty down and it is better, but I still get my whole party killed by 1 bear on level one... and can't get past the bridge to help minsc fast enough as a wizard...

(I've played twice. 1st- ranger... I lost minsc because I got to Dynaher THE DAY that he went mad; and due to a bug; he didn't notice that I had rescued her)

But as a wizard I am notably weaker and can't get past the bridge

I really dislike hard games... I'veo nly ever been able to beat one RPG- Kings Quest V... and yet I own so many

I have seriously been consdiering the Drizzt cheat

Oh well... *sigh*
Old December 21, 2002, 16:26   #23
axi
Prince

Local Time: 15:55
Might & Magic 6 is looooooong....

I guess the type of games where you can reach level 100-150 tend to be really long.
Old December 22, 2002, 02:18   #24
SnowFire
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

For Console RPGs, Xenogears or Grandia, definitely. Both of those can take 60 hours easily.

Open-ended ones are harder to judge as noted... can'ty give any better guesses than those already mentioned.

DarkCloud: BG1 isn't actually that good. I recommend you skip it and go straight to BG2, which actually has strategy in its battles. If you're having trouble in BG1, here is the one strategy to rule them all for the vast monster hordes lying around: equip all your team with bows. Send one scout forward to distract the next 1 or 2 enemies and get them to follow. Watch as they get mowed down by your teammates with arrows. Send scout back. Lure more bad guys back. Maybe move ambush forward a bit. Repeat until all 200 gnolls are dead, or whatever else you're fighting.
Spellcasters can be annoying when you're at low levels in that they can kill you with one hit sometimes; all I can say is once you level up it won't be as big of a problem.

BG2 has much harder and more interesting combat than BG1, IMHO.
Old December 22, 2002, 03:41   #25
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

I haven't played much BG1, but BG2 does seem much better.

I died a lot at first, but once I got a hand at the combat system it became easier. But you do have to learn the importance of spells like breach, kheldings wharding whip and such.
Old December 23, 2002, 01:51   #26
Straybow
Civilization II Succession GamesSpanish CiversPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Grumbold
My longest RPG is the AD&D campaign that has been running for 18 years now and counting.
18 years? By now you should be about 180th level and exterminated every monster on the prime and adjacent planes.

Long ago I played AD&D. We didn't do it like a typical adolescent hack 'n' slash game. No computer version has the depth of immersion you get from a well moderated game. Players do things nobody could have predicted.

I remember a campaign with a GM in college. He wanted it to work out one way, but nobody else saw what he was trying to do. It ended poorly. Many books I read are similar in that the authors make the characters do Things That Nobody Would Do. I ground my teeth through the Illearth series just because I wanted to read how Donaldson would kill off Thomas Covenant in the end. I get the same feeling going through the few scripted scenario games I've tried.

I was tempted to try Arcanum because the reviews said they did a good job of making it seem like your character would be motivated to follow the script. But I'm convinced that computers and programmers will not be capable of it in the foreseeable future.
Old December 23, 2002, 02:37   #27
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Arcanum is good for plot twists. You really aren't motiviated to follow a script either. It is like Fallout in this respect.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old December 23, 2002, 10:09   #28
Straybow
Civilization II Succession GamesSpanish CiversPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Well, by "follow the script" I mean "do what it takes to win the game." There is a mystery to be solved or something. Since MoO3 is indefinitely delayed… might try it.
Old December 23, 2002, 10:38   #29
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

There are a few ways to beat the game. It starts off a little scripted, but that actually contributes well to the story. It is kinda like Fallout scripted in the beginning. You follow a basic path for a little while, then it becomes far more open.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old December 23, 2002, 12:32   #30
mrboo123
Rise of Nations MultiplayerC4DG VoxCiv4 SP Democracy GameNationStates
King

Local Time: 06:55
The only RPG games I played were Mario RPG (hope they make a re-make of it with game boy,) and Pokemon (yes, I played it... when I was ten...) and to me, they both tied because I never beating none of them!