Old December 29, 2002, 13:34   #61
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 12:55
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Btw watch out for sirens, they use charm all the time, which makes them extremely dangerous,
I have a paladin- 4 protections from evil

So- what's a magical item? A sword +1?

-
Anyways, I find wandering around the map tedious- therefore, I didn't bother to clear it; however, I think I might level up to level 4 before I go into the Cloakwood mines as I can 'just barely' hold my own versus the wyvrens.

Xzar now has some good spells but next time I play, I think I'll not have any magic users and instead have a Cleric/Druid/Ranger/Paladin/Thief/Fighter ... Do you think that a party like that might work?

-
Quote:
lose zxar and montaron, they're just weak!! all depends on your alignment though.. if you're evil..
No, I'm chaotic good. And Montaroon never dies...
And I lost out on Xan already... and Edwin is evil... and I can't split Xar and Montaroon up... unless Monty or Xar dies...

--
Heck, I haven't gone to 1/2 those places on that map I just follow the story plot I see no reason to go out of my way... Although I think I'll go after Bassilus for the 5000 gp reward!

-
Just wondering- how would I get to Ulgoth's Beard?
Old December 31, 2002, 03:00   #62
HolyWarrior
Prince

Local Time: 06:55
Long RPGs
Quote:
Originally posted by axi
Might & Magic 6 is looooooong....

I guess the type of games where you can reach level 100-150 tend to be really long.
If you thought that was long, try World of Xeen (MM4 & 5 together)!

Wiz8 is another long one.

And the Black Isle games are vastly overrated with Planescape the only one worth playing.

Divine Divinity is one I would like to play.
Old December 31, 2002, 14:53   #63
Traianvs
BtS Tri-League
King

Local Time: 14:55
divine divinity, belgian product , very rare and exceptional!

black isle games rule

Yo ulgoths beard is all the way up

I told yah to check
this link if you want to know all the locations...
Btw going to ulgoths beard already... you'll die a painful (but quick) death!

I think you don't have to get a cleric AND a druid, just get jaheira, she's a druid/fighter...much better than an ordinary cleric or druid.

In my opinion the plot guides you through the whole game, but that doesn't mean you can't do other quests, in general you have all the time of the world with the main plot (with a few exceptions)

well you play it the way you want that's the whole point of BG.. (you should get a reputation of 1-3 someday, that gives really funny effects)
Old December 31, 2002, 15:25   #64
Juggler
Prince

Local Time: 13:55
Quote:
black isle games rule
judging by the huge map of Faerun lands, many more will come
Old December 31, 2002, 22:09   #65
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Yo ulgoths beard is all the way up

I told yah to check
this link if you want to know all the locations...
Oh I know where it is- but can't seem to reach it. It seems I might need to go to Baldur's gate first.

-
Quote:
I think you don't have to get a cleric AND a druid, just get jaheira, she's a druid/fighter...much better than an ordinary cleric or druid.
Yes, I have Jaheira.

Right now I am struggling to defeat the guys that guard the top of the mine.

I have done a few more side quests but need a quick 200-500 experience for each character before they level up to level 4- which I desperately need to battle the guys in front of the mines; since I use all my powers, but still cannot best them.

Oh well I'll keep trying!
Old January 1, 2003, 00:06   #66
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 05:55
It's not looking too good for me to continue this game. It seems my problem is I cannot read disc 2 properly. I think it is too scratched up. This isn't my game really, it's my brother's copy. Oh well.

Maybe I can pick it up real cheap somewhere.
Old January 1, 2003, 08:52   #67
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Do a full install and get a cd crack.
Old January 1, 2003, 11:48   #68
Grumbold
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Straybow
Quote:
The DM plays by the old rules of 2-4 modules per level up, not the XP counting method. These days we only meet a few times each year, so maybe one module finished per year. I've been 14th level for nearly 3 years now
Well, that's hardly a campaign. You just get together and blow the dust off 'em.
Its certainly a campaign. We've been struggling against the same arch enemies for a long time now. They keep escaping every time we foil their plots. Do we need to play a fixed number of times a year to count or something?
Old January 1, 2003, 19:44   #69
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

I tried a full install. I still cannot enter the town of Beregost.

Basically the full install had some problems with disc 2. This is my problem

Maybe if I found a site where I could get a *ahem* copy of the game, I could get it to work. Or I could just buy another copy- they might be cheap now.
Old January 1, 2003, 19:48   #70
DrSpike
Deity

That's just it you don't need a *copy* of the game......all you need is a no-cd crack so you can play the game without a cd. I often do this when I have the cd anyway because cd checking is annoying.

*edit* unless you mean you can't do a full install at all, in which case you are screwed.
Old January 1, 2003, 21:07   #71
Traianvs
BtS Tri-League
King

Yeah it's real hell with the BG saga, the CD swapping... I have bought (yes that is very unique in my case, but the games were just too fine ) them with both expansions, and I installed a no cd crack, because seriously, it spoils the fun, if you have to change CDs when you are entering a dungeon or so...

In BG2 you have to travel from the temple district to the docks back and forth and every time ya have to switch CDs!!

Btw even my original copies malfunctioned, I'm lucky to get BG1 installed properly, I have to try several times

bad cds i guess

Btw if you need quick XP go to the temple next to Beregost, in the east dwell some vampiric wolves, that give many many XP
just get your wizard fill all his lvl1 spell slots with magic missile, and if you haven't got magical weapons (which shouldn't be the case when you're near the mines!) use fire arrows (which is like the most useful arrow in all BG1, it kills nearly every opponent) or something, distract your wolves with a healthy fighter with many HP and walk in circles so your wizzie and archer don't get whacked

you'll get those 500 XP in no time! (i do tihnk you have to go there at night though, not sure, cos they are vampiric wolves... during the day it's just elite hobgoblins or so with poison arrows or so!)

of course you will have to travel about 96 hours back to Beregost so that might not be worth it

Use the spider Bane sword you found in the Cloakwood forest.. it'll be of good use to minsc
Old January 2, 2003, 00:28   #72
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

yes I cannot do a successful full install. It screws up reading the disc. Specifically when I go to Bergorst. So even the 2 gig full install I have on the hard drive still messes up in that one spot.

And these are original copies. That kind of sucks.
Old January 2, 2003, 01:31   #73
Straybow
Civilization II Succession GamesSpanish CiversPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Straybow
Well, that's hardly a campaign. You just get together and blow the dust off 'em.

Originally posted by Grumbold
Do we need to play a fixed number of times a year to count or something?
Do we say the original Star Trek series is still running just because scriptwriters keep sneaking the characters into new movies, even resurrecting Kirk from the dead?

OK, OK, so maybe your campaign is on "active reserve." Kinda like my brother, who recently "retired" from 6 yrs service and 14 yrs reserve duty. Once a month he had to show up and make himself vaguely useful. It just isn't the same as active duty.

Obviously, you and your gaming crew have real lives, or something dreadful like that.
Old January 2, 2003, 07:49   #74
DrSpike
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
It screws up reading the disc. Specifically when I go to Bergorst. So even the 2 gig full install I have on the hard drive still messes up in that one spot.
Ok, I'm going to persevere, but one of is being slow here. If the game installs then all you need is a no-cd crack, as I said before. The only way you are screwed is if the game does not install at all. It seems like you are saying this is not the case, that the game installs, but can't read the cd at Bergorst. In this case you can get around the problem in the manner I have described.
Old January 2, 2003, 23:22   #75
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

The game does successfully complete a full install- after a long time trying to read discs 2, 3, and 4.

I was just figuring some of the code that installed is faulty due to reading the disc.

After I did the full install I never entered any other cd's. It crashed anyways upon entering beregost. The only difference this time was it crashed faster because it didn't have to spend 1 minute trying to read the cd. It crashed when loading the area.
Old January 3, 2003, 08:40   #76
DrSpike
Deity

That sucks.
Old January 3, 2003, 23:12   #77
DarkCloud
staff

Quote:
Maybe if I found a site where I could get a *ahem* copy of the game, I could get it to work. Or I could just buy another copy- they might be cheap now.
Try a warez site if you have the bandwith; or use Kazaa! The Dutch Napster..., or find a friend who has the game- I have the same problem with Neverwinter Nights.
\

--
Quote:
Btw if you need quick XP go to the temple next to Beregost, in the east dwell some vampiric wolves, that give many many XP
just get your wizard fill all his lvl1 spell slots with magic missile, and if you haven't got magical weapons (which shouldn't be the case when you're near the mines!) use fire arrows (which is like the most useful arrow in all BG1, it kills nearly every opponent) or something, distract your wolves with a healthy fighter with many HP and walk in circles so your wizzie and archer don't get whacked
Thanks for telling me- I'll search for them-- Instead, I leveled up finding the Basilisks... although I lost 2 partymemeers in the taking... but now have a stone to flesh scroll and have restored Xzar and Ajantis- I still need to fix Montaroon however... I wouldn't fix him but everyone that I can recruit is level I and monty's level 4... I finally leveled up however! Although I think I need Xzar to get 4000 exp and another level because I really need to cast the level 3 spell FLAME ARROW!

Any specific strategies for beating the Cloakwood mines? I can't get past the guys at the top

Also- ettercaps- I have yet to kill one- they always kill me.

Quote:
Use the spider Bane sword you found in the Cloakwood forest.. it'll be of good use to minsc
Haven't quite got the sword. I hate fighting spiders and the poision always kills me. Also, I don't have minsc.

But the expereince Idea seems great- I think I may finally have enough spells to restore Ulcaster and beat the vampire wolf under Ulcaster! Then I can get a lot of exp!

-----
Old January 4, 2003, 10:31   #78
Traianvs
BtS Tri-League
King

If you recruit an NPC you haven't had in your party yet, he will be about the same level as you are...

if you recruit an NPC, kick him out, and want him back later, the NPC will be at the level you left him with..

I believe the spider bane is in the huge spider mound (can't remember that well though)

you can get antidotes, resist poison spells, and make sure your cleric/druid memorizes some anti-poison spell if the cleric has it of course...

it's best to handle spiders with projectiles before they get up close.. of course you'll have to watch out for sword spiders, they're superfast..

You mean you can't defeat the party where this one guy has the boots of speed? you can try casting slow on him.. or hold, and get your fighters up close to the wizards, then kill the fighters... if you take on the fighters first you will ave a barrage of spells on you while you kill the fighters..
Old January 9, 2003, 23:27   #79
DarkCloud
staff

Quote:
if you recruit an NPC, kick him out, and want him back later, the NPC will be at the level you left him with..
Okay, that explains Garrick.

-
Well, I finally defeated the party with the boots of speed; I used the Fireball Wand and then used several spells on them; while engaging their spellcasters with Jaheria and Kivan (the evil dwarf); then I went into cloakwood, lost Kivan, picked up Yeslick (good decision!
and after 7 trials, beat Davaeorn without taking any casualties and only about 10 damage total!

Then I went to Baldur's gate and am now in the catacombs at Candlekeep picking up the Book of Sterngth and fighitng 6 phase spiders... very hard to do in a corridor...

But I think I understand this game now- thanks to you!

And have actually helped one of my friends with strategies to get past Nashkell (he got stuck about 3 years ago and never played the game since ... sort of like me...)
Old January 10, 2003, 09:42   #80
Ari Rahikkala
King

Local Time: 15:55
In terms of pre-defined content, Baldur's Gate, the FF series, Wizardry and other games like that might be rather long. But if you're talking about computer games and only consider the time it takes to play through a game, roguelikes like Nethack and ADOM are the king. Not necessarily because a single game would take a very long time (although it does), but because you'll be playing it over and over again until you learn how to not die.
This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand
Old January 10, 2003, 14:15   #81
Juggler
Prince

Quote:
it's best to handle spiders with projectiles before they get up close.. of course you'll have to watch out for sword spiders, they're superfast..
the sword spiders deep in cloakwood are a real pest but I usually lured one by one into a trap. If the wizards and archers didn't do the job my fighters took care of them.
Old January 10, 2003, 18:40   #82
Traianvs
BtS Tri-League
King

Yes, but you have to have them get some poision immunity then, because they're bound to get some real punishment on them (well with me anyway ) i preferred one good bowmen, a priest/fighter, and the rest close combat... but i still did the sword spiders from afar when i could, they're too strong
Old January 11, 2003, 14:23   #83
Juggler
Prince

that's because I had a very experienced party. i didn't start playing the 4th CD (with Cloakwood) till i finished the first 3. Otherwise, dwarf fighters and good bowmen.
Old January 11, 2003, 15:16   #84
Traianvs
BtS Tri-League
King

Hehe, me too, i clean the sword coast before i do cloakwood and then BG. I think i'm always very susceptible to poison, charms etc... in BG2 as well, i spent more time reloading and replaying than actually playing due to always being charmed (in BG2 nearly every monster or enemy party has confusion-like spells)

it's especially annoying because my party leader (my char) has the boots of speed and double scimitars and his save vs spell is incredibly high compared to minsc for example (not that my other party members don't get their share of confusion too you know...), so he just butchers my own party.. same thing in BG1, I haven't got a clue on how other ppl do it but i always seem to have very weak characters!!
Old January 11, 2003, 16:02   #85
spartak
King

Is that good?
Old January 12, 2003, 15:01   #86
Juggler
Prince

Quote:
i spent more time reloading and replaying than actually playing
that was on my old pentium166. and about the charm problems - i usually sent only one fighter (with magic protection) to finish off the annoying sirenes. there's one just south of Candlekeep that killed me instantly
Old January 12, 2003, 18:38   #87
DarkCloud
staff

Quote:
but i always seem to have very weak characters!!
I think they increase the monstor difficulty in proportion to your party's level.

An easy solution is to decrease the difficulty slider.
Old January 13, 2003, 10:18   #88
Traianvs
BtS Tri-League
King

Yes I know, the monsters do half damage then and stuff, but it doesn't help my confusion problems

Well i usually try to whack the monsters with my boots of speed ranger, but when playing against spellcasters that are protected by a zillion spells (in BG2) my weapons are useless

I don't know how to protect my fighters against charm... for example, in the dungeon near the drow city, there is a prison with creatures packed that confuse all the time (i forgot the name of the monsters, not the beholder dungeon).. they are often in big numbers, like.. there are more monsters than party members and they all send out a confusion spell, and as it has an rea of effect all my chars in the vicinity are affected...

no matter what people say there is nothing to do against it
Old January 13, 2003, 14:28   #89
Juggler
Prince

ever tried cheating? If the situation is so desperate as you say get yourself some magic protection.
Old January 13, 2003, 15:06   #90
Traianvs
BtS Tri-League
King

You mean shadowskeeper!!

Yes a nifty little program, but I try to play without, makes the game more challenging, but it's cool, i can get the awesome drizzt armour and scimitars (perfect for my ranger) and some neat bows (for my archer) etc.. I never cheat actually, i only experiment with it, but i never actually cheat... but keep in mind,.. i manage to get past those creatures that confuse me eventually, but it's simply very difficult!