Old December 19, 2002, 16:35   #1
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 14:56
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Machiavelly Institute: Tell England to Move Out
IMHO we should contact Elizabeth, queen of the British, and tell her to get her troops to move their ass out of our border with Germany near City of Abandonment.
Reasons why we need to do this:
  • England's troops may be helping us but they're also blocking the way to Germany for our troops. We can't step where there are English troops, so it's either them or us. Let's choose us.
  • The removal of English troops from the railroad tile north of City of Abandonment will enable the proper execution of the explorers maneuver. We want to disconnect Berlin this turn so that Germany will not be able to switch production to cavalry units. As long as the railroad tile north of Abandonment is blocked by English troops, we cannot reach all the tiles around Berlin in time. If we want the great advantage of not allowing Germany to build any cavalry units, we need to tell Liz's troops to butt out.
I suggest that we call Liz and tell her to move her troops. With the MPPs and the fact that we have good relations with them (she's polite to us) she will most certainly agree, and her troops will be moved instantly back to her territory. Problem solved!
- Phantom of the Opera
Old December 19, 2002, 17:00   #2
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 07:56
If the option is "Leave or declare war", I don't think we should do that. I don't have much experence with MPPs, but in my experence if the AI has as many units inside my territory as Liz currently does, they will always declare war.

Besides, it looks like Liz is really after Bismark and since we are in between, she'll just cross the border again.

I think a Right of Passenge with England would be in order just so her forces could CROSS our territory in a single turn WITHOUT stopping.

Perhaps some additional RR bypasses around our towns would be in order?
Old December 19, 2002, 17:12   #3
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by joncnunn
If the option is "Leave or declare war", I don't think we should do that. I don't have much experence with MPPs, but in my experence if the AI has as many units inside my territory as Liz currently does, they will always declare war.
They have no motivation to declare war. They'd probably declare war if they were planning to use those troops to attack us, or if we had bad relations. But here we have good relations, they have no reason to attack us, they are already in a war and they'd have to break two treaties (the peace treaty and the MPP) to declare war on us.
From my experience, the AI declares war ONLY if it was planning to attack you anyway (I can't really tell but I can guess, according to the movement path of the AI's troops in my games) or if you have bad relations.

Quote:
Besides, it looks like Liz is really after Bismark and since we are in between, she'll just cross the border again.
Probably, but that's be next turn. In the mean time, we cannot execute our wicked explorers maneuver now, and it's critical for the success of this operation that we execute it the same turn that we declare war, which is now.

Quote:
I think a Right of Passenge with England would be in order just so her forces could CROSS our territory in a single turn WITHOUT stopping.
But then we won't be able to safely leave our core cities ungarrisoned, like we do now. We'd have to allot a great deal of our attack force to boring watchmen jobs.

Quote:
Perhaps some additional RR bypasses around our towns would be in order?
Certainly. We can set up a bypass next turn, but that would be too late for this operation. If we want it to succeed, we need to clear the way now.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old December 19, 2002, 17:18   #4
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 08:56
Kick her out or kill her. Just make sure it is done correct for us to take out that german swine.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old December 19, 2002, 17:19   #5
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Happy Birthday, Shiber!

I think I agree with Shiber on this one. We need the Explorer manuever this turn, and an ROP won't help. Both an ROP and kicking them out carry the risk of war, but booting their forces allows us the first reaction if the do declare.

Of course, there is a third option: do neither. How many luxuries does Germany have, anyway?
Old December 19, 2002, 17:22   #6
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

That would be a human would play, yes.

But I think the AI logic code is much smipler:

If I have 0 or 1 military units inside other player's territory and asked to leave or declare war then agree to leave else declare war.

Quote:
Originally posted by Shiber

They have no motivation to declare war. They'd probably declare war if they were planning to use those troops to attack us,
Old December 19, 2002, 17:24   #7
Shiber
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Kloreep
Happy Birthday, Shiber!
Thanks!!
I'm holding a really big party on January 3rd. You're all invited of course, if you don't mind bothering yourself all the way to Israel.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old December 19, 2002, 17:25   #8
Shiber
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by joncnunn
That would be a human would play, yes.

But I think the AI logic code is much smipler:

If I have 0 or 1 military units inside other player's territory and asked to leave or declare war then agree to leave else declare war.
Personally, I've never had any experience that supports this theory. Anyway, I doubt that the AI is this dumb (no offense to you of course).
- Phantom of the Opera
Old December 19, 2002, 17:28   #9
joncnunn
Emperor

In my own games, every time I'd told the AI to leave or declare war when they had 1 military unit inside my territory they have left peacefully.

Every time I'm told the AI to leave or declare war when they have 2+ military units inside my territory they have declared war.
Old December 19, 2002, 17:29   #10
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Happy B-Day.

Appreciate the invite, but I think I will just stay here and enjoy the snow.....

GK

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old December 19, 2002, 18:06   #11
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

joncnunn is correct that asking them to leave is pointless because they'll just re-enter our territory. More broadly, pressing the issue is stupid ON OUR PART because we want England to be on our side for this war with Germany (and so we can continue making 100 LPT from them for that techsale).

As such, we may just have to alter the plan. OR we may just have to wait for England to vacate the tile and put some infantry on it so they can't block it again.

If this delays our attack by a turn or two, no big deal. Aggie, E_T, and I were talking about delaying the attack ANYWAYS for 1-2 turns so we can upgrade all of our units before attacking and using units we have now to easily take over Brundisium (and get the Romans' supply of incense).

This isn't such an enormous deal... we can adapt.
Old December 19, 2002, 18:11   #12
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

hi ,

we could block her troops of a bit if we wanted to , .....

happy B-day Shiber

have a nice day
Old December 19, 2002, 18:39   #13
realpolitic
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 04:56
ROP -- If England declares war on us, things could get messy.
Old December 19, 2002, 18:51   #14
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by realpolitic
ROP -- If England declares war on us, things could get messy.
hi ,

, be carefull with that ROP , they might sneak attack on us , .... you never know with those funny people and their milkbaths , .......

have a nice day
Old December 19, 2002, 20:05   #15
roadcage
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 06:56
Superpowers have to learn to deal with their allies as meaningful contibutors to the Grand Alliance. If we were staging to assault Nuremburg, we would expect an RoP with Liz. Liz is staging to attack Stuttgart as her effort against the Axis of Evil. We are honor bound to give her the same leway. If there is no honor in war, there can be no glory.
Old December 19, 2002, 20:48   #16
E_T
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

With Liz's forces right next to Abandonment, If they move (and don't declare, which is highly unlikely with the MPP), they will auto move back within her boarders. So the way will be immeadately cleared and it will be a few turns before they will get in the way again.

As for a RoP, I'm against it. If we had at least 1 Defensive Unit per City, while we conducted the War, I would have no problem. But that's no the case and won't be for a while. As it is, I'm still asking for 5 Drafted Units (no more than that) from some of our Cities.

E_T
Old December 19, 2002, 20:50   #17
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 06:56
No ROPs!
Old December 19, 2002, 22:16   #18
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 09:56
No RoP's.
Happy Birthday, Shiber... A little late...
(late in my time zone, at least)
Old December 20, 2002, 03:27   #19
Shiber
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Arnelos
joncnunn is correct that asking them to leave is pointless because they'll just re-enter our territory.
It doesn't matter. We just need them out of our territory for this single turn so that we can conduct the explorers operation as planned. By the time we're back we'll have the railroad bypass in place.
- Phantom of the Opera