Old December 10, 2002, 08:26   #1
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 13:56
Local Date: November 1, 2010
City styles in scenarios
Edited by Locutus: This discussion was originally part of this thread, it was moved to a seperate thread because there is some potentially very useful information in here and this way it will be easier to find for future reference. If some of the remarks in this thread don't seem to make sense, reading the original thread might help

A new question regarding city styles. I want to define a certain style for each of my civs, every civ has a different style, im certain ive made my agecitystyle.txt correctly, and i made a new sprite and it works (i tested it).

In the Apolyton mod section it says you can only define 0-2 for CIV_CITY_STYLE in civilization.txt, thats because theres only 3 city styles in the default game, obviously. So i edited agecitystyle.txt with 4 new styles (keeping with the same 5 ages though) but when i change CIV_CITY_STYLE in civilization.txt to use my 4 new styles for various civs it doesnt recognise my city when i start a new game even.

Using citymod2 as my base of learning for this, i copied the same method and layout but im sure i did it right (no i really am) so my question,
Does it automatically recognise that theres now valid values 0-6 for CIV_CITY_STYLE? or is there another file that needs to define this? I couldnt find it.

Last edited by Locutus; December 19, 2002 at 19:01.
Old December 10, 2002, 08:52   #2
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Okay no worries about the city styles thing *slaps forehead* i underestimated the power of the *.txt files.
Old December 10, 2002, 12:23   #3
Maquiladora
Emperor

I think i may have found a bug with making scenario's and different city styles.

If i start a 3 player game,

player 1= Rome (roman city city style)
player 2= Turkey (middle east city style)
player 3= China (asian city style)

If i open the scenario editor and change player 2 (Turkey) to Japan in Empire section of the editor, and then i place a settler and build a city, it will continue to build in middle east city style, even though Japan should be building asian city style.

I didnt see this anywhere else, but this is definately what ive concluded trying to get mine to work.

One way (the only way?) to help this bug, is to start the game your going to edit into a scenario, with the Civilizations you WANT in your scenario. I dont know how to make the game choose the Nations you want to play with, but i know theres something somewhere... ?

edit: I just had an idea. If you start a game in LAN multiplayer, you can choose your opponents to play against, SO, you start a game with the Civs you want in your scenario, save the multiplayer game, then move the multiplayer save file from the "MP" folder, into your normal game folder, open it in the game and edit it with the Civs you originally wanted, thus working around the city bug thing. I havent tried it yet though.
Old December 10, 2002, 12:43   #4
Maquiladora
Emperor

Isnt there somewhere in the game which tells it to play with,

America
Scotland
Ireland
England
...etc all the time?

It always chooses those civs.

Apologies for my excessive chain postings
Old December 10, 2002, 15:08   #5
centrifuge
Call to Power PBEMCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Local Time: 05:56
I had the same problems a while back when I was trying learn some scenario creation. The scenario editor is just plain chaotic when it comes to making different city styles. One thing that I noticed is that when you have your scenario setup, (ie civs chosen and there cities placed) the initial setup screen(where you choose your civ) will act kind of screwy, for example, if you chose the americans, the leader name showing would be for another civ (ghengis khan for example). In the end I was able to work around this IIRC by changing the city styles of the civs in the ???.txt files until it finally gave me what I wanted. The screwy part of this is that I couldn't come up with any rh yme or reason for the way that they were changed.
Old December 10, 2002, 15:41   #6
Maquiladora
Emperor

Yeah definately chaotic, i learnt pretty quickly to build cities by planting settlers first instead of the place city tabs.

I cant for the life of me work out why it wont display the right style though, it seems to ignore whatever i define in civilization.txt most of the time. More confusing too because ive added a new sprite and also mixed and matched from citymod. Its holding me up at the moment.
Old December 10, 2002, 16:13   #7
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Local Time: 14:56
Actual these place city buttons are broken in the scenario editor. In the original game there are only three city styles and therefore only three buttons available. But even if you add a city style you can't add a butoon for it another problem with these buttons is that they don't have icons and there is no place where these icons could be defined. Finnally if I select a style from these buttons I get a size one city, if I leave this city alone it will lost one pop next turn. But if I add a pop via the cheat editor the city behaves normal next turn but loses its style. With the result that the used style will be identical with the style of the civ that was originally chosen by the game for the player. So the only chanche to get the right style for the right player would be to set up an MP game and convert it to SP and then edit this with the right civs.

-Martin
Old December 11, 2002, 11:45   #8
Maquiladora
Emperor

Okay well i finally figured out how the city styles are used when making a scenario, maybe already known, but here it is.

The first time you save your scenario as a *.c2g file, it LOCKS all the civilization.txt CIV_CITY_STYLE values in the scenario save file, so any changes you make to civilization.txt in your scenario folder and then load the scenario again, wont change anything. So, the first time you start editing your scenario you have to make sure you have all the right CIV_CITY_STYLE values in civilization.txt for the styles you want.

If you want to make changes to city styles for each civ, but dont want to place all cities again, youd have to edit agecitystyle.txt and change the sprite # i learnt this the hard way.
Old December 19, 2002, 19:05   #9
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 14:56
Note: if anyone wonders where the heck this thread all of a sudden came from, please read my little edit in Maq's first post.

Quote:
Originally posted by Maquiladora
Isnt there somewhere in the game which tells it to play with,

America
Scotland
Ireland
England
...etc all the time?

It always chooses those civs.
NonRandomCivs in userprofile.txt.

Alternatively, if you have a scenario with 8 players, you could just make sure civilization.txt only has 8 civs...
Old December 19, 2002, 20:10   #10
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

I seem to recall having problems attempting that when I did it. Might have been my idioicity though.