View Poll Results: Should the Hall of Fame have a "King" Clause?
Yes 18 43.90%
No 23 56.10%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 20, 2002, 15:21   #91
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

Local Time: 07:57
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by H Tower

ooh! the big scary Ming! Let them complain, it's not his site or even his hall of fame.

And I want to complain about some 2002 newbie getting the same amount of vote pull as I do!

so change the rules!
Somebody put him out of his misery. It's evidently comparable to hydrophobia.
Surely to Christ he isn't talking so boldly, without some kind of rabies giving him strength.
Old December 20, 2002, 15:35   #92
Six Thousand Year Old Man
Civilization II Succession Games
King

I'd cast a vote, but I'm too busy camapaigning to be Aployton valedictorian, so the other kids will love and respect me

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
"A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)
Old December 20, 2002, 15:49   #93
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 12:57
Quote:
I'd rather had a time requrement though, like 1 to 2 years of being around before people can vote for them.
Hmm... Good debate all... I sort of like Apocalypse's suggestion best of all them; the only problem is that Civ IIIers will probably whine.

And I'm still considering whether to reset all the votes (except for last time voted) I can't quite decide... I may jsut leave it as it is so that I don't get yelled at too much... well, it looks like the status quo is to be maintained

Personally I didn't really care one way or the other; although I did vote.
Old December 20, 2002, 15:55   #94
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
In a real hall of fame they tell about the exploits of the people in it.
It does... somwhat in a brief way.

BORIS-
Quote:
Darkcloud, if you had wanted to post this poll fairly, you should have left my name out of it entirely, because now it seems like it's just a referendum on me rather than on the issue.
Probably a good idea- but everyone would have known what I was talking about...

Quote:
Why is this all about me? It's not like there aren't plenty of other OTers on the HoF list. I guess I have just made an impression on some folks.

I think it's rather insulting to the people who voted for me to imply they were somehow voting frivolously or influenced by some sort of politicking. They did so because they wanted to.
Well, I wouldn't have even started the threads except for Ming and your little war... and then the fact that you had trouble coming up with things you provided to apolyton... It would help If I can put something nice next to your name when you are elected rather than ___ or MORE INFO NEEDED ... I want everyone to be happy but I also want the hall to not be ridiculed... (Although since Locutus seems to have disappeared, it probably won't be ridiculed ) And I also note that this clause hits the OT and CIV III people fairly hard... but taht's why I put the poll here; so that the people likely to be effected by it would be able to vote on the issue.

I'm trying to be fair.
Old December 20, 2002, 16:09   #95
Bugs ****ing Bunny
Emperor

Local Time: 13:57
Quote:
Originally posted by Vlad Antlerkov

Basically, I have the same sentiments as Ming. I'd suggest sending all of the HoFers (except MarkG, DanQ, Ming, MtG, Imran, Vel, Xin, Stefu, and Mao) out of the Hall (those thrown out would still be eligible to get back in).
Hi honey! Does this mean you think I'm of insufficient calibre to justify my presence in such august company?
Old December 20, 2002, 17:09   #96
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkCloud
Hmm... Good debate all... I sort of like Apocalypse's suggestion best of all them; the only problem is that Civ IIIers will probably whine.
I don't think most of the deserving ones even know about this. I told Trip, probably one of the most deserving Civ3 guys if not the most deserving to be in the HOF, about this a few days ago and he was like "HOF for what?"
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old December 20, 2002, 18:50   #97
Bugs ****ing Bunny
Emperor

Well stuff 'em. Show me a "Civ3 guy" and I'll show you one of the bastards who kept causing the server to overload a year ago. It was an Old Testament-syle plague of sickeningly unblemished newcomers and, to be frank, they can all be boiled down for glue if they can't be bothered to pop into the liveliest forum occasionally.
Old December 20, 2002, 19:25   #98
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Local Time: 06:57
Fer cryin' out loud! Get rid of the whole thing if it's devolving into what I think it is.

Gatekeeper

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius
Old December 21, 2002, 05:13   #99
Bugs ****ing Bunny
Emperor

The answer's very simple really. If you aren't in the HOF, it's because nobody likes you. I realise that's a tough social handicap to bear, so I'm sure we'll all offer to rally round.

Just start a thread entitled "Help me change my desperately crap personality" and helpful advice will be yours.
Old December 21, 2002, 07:09   #100
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 22:57
Quote:
Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
The answer's very simple really. If you aren't in the HOF, it's because nobody likes you.
That can't be true - I'm in the HOF.

First elected, iircc.

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Old December 21, 2002, 07:42   #101
Bugs ****ing Bunny
Emperor

That was the voting equivalent of a sympathy ****.
Old December 21, 2002, 14:38   #102
DarkCloud
staff

hmph. I try not to offend anyone and I offend everyone

Any ideas on better political moves regarding this?

I mean?
Come on...
I try to open the issue up for people to vote and people start sniping... I accidentally offend BOTH boris and Ming... People like Galvatron start getting jaded by the hall... come on- this is just supposed to be a nice place to honor people. I have no problem with people who get elected!

(and speaking of other complaints- check out locutus in CTP II MP section ... I understand his complaints, but still- he's never satisfied I made the poll a day longer... I gave sufficient explanation... I posted it where he wanted... and he's still complaining Is it because no CTPer was elected... possibly ...

How can I make the hall nicer and less of an 'anger' or 'elitist' issue? Any ideas? Please?

Last edited by DarkCloud; December 21, 2002 at 17:44.
Old December 21, 2002, 15:32   #103
Bugs ****ing Bunny
Emperor

It's a straight vote. Making it less "elitist" is a tricky one- personally I'd rename it "Hall of Borderline Bastards", or add a disclaimer saying "The compilers of this list cannot rule out the possibility of inductees being a bunch of utter ****s".

Edit- Looks like the "C" word now gets past the auto-censor.....
Old December 21, 2002, 17:12   #104
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 05:57
I'm not offended, DC. It's not important to me, really. I just think you're going to end up with inaccurate results regardless. Some people are going to see it as what you want, others will vote as a referendum on just me getting in, and you'll have no way of monitoring DLs voting.

If it makes anyone feel any better, I'll prolly be a King by the time the next vote occurs anyway--getting another 300 ontopic posts isn't exactly difficult in 3 months.
Old December 21, 2002, 17:42   #105
DarkCloud
staff

Quote:
I'm not offended, DC. It's not important to me, really. I just think you're going to end up with inaccurate results regardless. Some people are going to see it as what you want, others will vote as a referendum on just me getting in, and you'll have no way of monitoring DLs voting.
Yeah. For some strange reason I had an idea that it could be a100% accurate hall. Now I see better!
As for DL voting- It's not that hard to tell... And I'll let MikeH get away with it in the event that venom/spartak/gasmaske are all his because he's so creative that he deserves it

Quote:
If it makes anyone feel any better, I'll prolly be a King by the time the next vote occurs anyway--getting another 300 ontopic posts isn't exactly difficult in 3 months
That's good! Kudos to you!

-
Lazarus- great suggestion:
Quote:
add a disclaimer saying "The compilers of this list cannot rule out the possibility of inductees being a bunch of utter ****s".
I'll add it.
Old December 21, 2002, 17:43   #106
DarkCloud
staff

Here's my new disclaimer in the FAQ

Disclaimer:

The Hall of Fame is based on whoever people vote for, and as Lazarus and the Gimp stated so eloquently: “"The compilers of this list cannot rule out the possibility of inductees being a bunch of utter ****s" Thus. Please. Don’t shoot the messenger.
Old December 22, 2002, 22:51   #107
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 23:57
/me shoots DC anyway.
Old December 22, 2002, 23:03   #108
Sikander
King

Local Time: 05:57
I vote no until I make King, when I will reverse my postition.
Old December 23, 2002, 01:32   #109
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

how about bumping up the number of votes a 2001 registered user gets? hardly seems fair that a lowly december 2002 registered user gets the same voting weight that someone from 2001 does.
Old December 23, 2002, 03:41   #110
Bugs ****ing Bunny
Emperor

Why? Serves the boring old fart right for not remaining more interesting.
Old December 23, 2002, 06:55   #111
Alexander's Horse
Deity

Hmmm, Laz is only a mere King after all these years

Old December 23, 2002, 07:27   #112
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 23:57
Quality rather than quantity, AH.
Old December 23, 2002, 09:28   #113
Alexander's Horse
Deity

Anyone who was a stalwart of Sidgames can't be interested in quality

Old December 23, 2002, 10:47   #114
Bugs ****ing Bunny
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
Hmmm, Laz is only a mere King after all these years
Great, isn't it? In fact I've gone from Settler to King three times, and that was before OT counts stopped being included.
Old December 23, 2002, 10:54   #115
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
Anyone who was a stalwart of Sidgames can't be interested in quality
I'm very offended.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old December 23, 2002, 17:30   #116
DarkCloud
staff

Quote:
how about bumping up the number of votes a 2001 registered user gets? hardly seems fair that a lowly december 2002 registered user gets the same voting weight that someone from 2001 does.
hmm... must not have posted this in this thread:
New policy:

Rules for voting

Everyone can vote for 3 posters

Registered In/Before 1999- 4 points per vote
Registered In 2000- 3 points per vote
Registered In 2001- 3 point per vote
Registered In 2002- 2 points per vote
Registered In 2003- 1 point per vote

You may not vote for yourself.
All ‘frivolous’ votes are thrown out.
Giving your vote to someone merely because they ask is considered a frivolous vote.
You may only vote once in the hall of fame (for 3 people) IF you try to vote more than once ALL of your votes will be made void.
Old December 23, 2002, 18:12   #117
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

2000 and 2001 are the same... Hmmm.

With the new year, you should make it 3 for 2001, 4 for 2000, and five for those before