Necromancer - Raises undead to fight for him. 8 25.00%
Paladin - Uses auras to help others in his party. 7 21.88%
Sorceress - The ultimate magic user. 2 6.25%
Assassin - Stealth and martial arts master. 3 9.38%
Druid - Use nature-based magic. 1 3.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 19, 2002, 23:02   #1
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 23:57
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Favourite Diablo II Character
What is your favourite character type when playing Diablo 2?

Even in games I tend to be lazy, so the Necromancer is the character choice for me. I just go to a location, put a curse on my enemies and then let my minions do the killing for me.

Note that the Assassin and Druid are added with the "Lord of Destruction" expansion set.

Last edited by Skanky Burns; December 19, 2002 at 23:08.
Old December 20, 2002, 09:59   #2
Comrade Chris
Alpha Centauri Democracy Game
Chieftain

Local Time: 14:57
i go with you for the necromancer..
Old December 20, 2002, 11:48   #3
trickey
Civilization III Democracy GameNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Prince

Local Time: 08:57
Druid for me, even though i don't play anymore.

Cruel Cryptic sword of Quickness with 3 40-15 ias jewls owns all
Old December 20, 2002, 12:17   #4
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 14:57
Where's the "Diablo sucks" option?
Old December 20, 2002, 12:44   #5
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 12:57
This thread sorta came outta the blue, but good thinking Skankmeister.

Sorc for me .... mmmmm Frozen Orb is the best. If the v1.10 patch ever comes out then I'll give this another try. The new ladders will mean that for a few weeks at least the game will be relatively clean.
Old December 20, 2002, 12:56   #6
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 05:57
Paladin, because I enjoy playing a goody-goody, and Black is beautiful, baby.
Old December 20, 2002, 13:33   #7
Juggler
Prince

Local Time: 13:57
Probably paladin. it was the first character I played and finished the game with.
Necromancer would be my second option.
Old December 22, 2002, 23:18   #8
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Quote:
Originally posted by FrustratedPoet
This thread sorta came outta the blue, but good thinking Skankmeister.
Thanks.
I just recently started playing it again, and wondered what other people here normally played as (And remembered you talking about Diablo before).

Quote:
Originally posted by ADG
Where's the "Diablo sucks" option?

I knew I forgot something!

So, it seems there are a few Necromancers around here too. A few Paladins and Barbarians too. Only one Sorceress though so far, which is a surprise.
Old December 23, 2002, 00:17   #9
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Local Time: 07:57
I've played all kinds, but mostly amazons. I'm currently concentrating on a Hydra/Glacial Spike/Something Electrical Sorceress.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old December 23, 2002, 01:25   #10
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 06:57
Barbarian + Whirlwind!
Old December 23, 2002, 04:04   #11
SnowFire
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Paladin, Barbarian: Not a huge fan of "running up and clicking on things" a lot, these guys are too much of a melee fighter which gets boring for me.

Nercomancer: Though not as boring as this. Summon up somebody else and let them fight, yawn.

Druid: Haven't really tried it yet, but I hear that caster Druids suck compared to Sorcs, and melee Druids I wouldn't like for the same reason as Paladins and Barbs.

That leaves Amazon, Sorc, & Assassin for the classes I enjoy playing (Hmm... Blizzard gave all the fun options to the females). Sorcs were my original characters, still lots of fun but I don't like the casting trigger times, I preferred being able to shoot off hordes of spells at once. I enjoyed playing with my assassin so far, but she requires so... many... moves! I like being able to just have a few hot-keyed abilities which I then use the "Next" button to cycle through (which I've manually assigned). That leaves the Amazon for what I've gotten the farthest with... still lots of strategy to use her with, but I only need to ever use 4 skills. Freezing Arrow Left click- (although that occasionally turns into Glacial Arrow for physical immunes in Hell), and cycle between Strafe, Slow Missiles, and Valkyrie on the right click. Generally being on Strafe of course, and slowing missiles if need be and replacing a Valk on demand.
Old December 23, 2002, 04:40   #12
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

My first was an Amazon. The first is always the best.

But I enjoyed Paladin's as well. Sorceress wasn't my strong point, but they were fun.

Barbs were decent too.

I didn't like the expansion classes that much. Druids were OK though. Didn't like Assassins.
Old December 23, 2002, 08:29   #13
Skanky Burns

I liked Barbs. I played through the first time with a Barbarian, only ever using passive skills. No mana-using ones. I don't know why, but found it much harder than it should have been.
Old December 23, 2002, 09:25   #14
Father Beast
King

my first run through was as a paladin, but I tried a necromancer after that and loved it even more!

one of my peculiarities is that I'm doing a type that isn't even suggested in the strat guides out there, a summonmancer. That is, I focus all my skill points on summoning skills, totally ignoring the poison and curses.

I eventually found myself being not a fighter, but a manager. my job is to watch the amounts of skeletons, mages, and revives and make sure my fighting force is up to snuff. got a town guard with prayer and a huge halberd with 3 emeralds in it that kills most critters fast. even beat Diablo at level 28 with a good iron golem. got a bit expensive buying all those items to raise golems from though...

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn
Old December 23, 2002, 10:42   #15
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Played my Barbarian to nightmare difficulty (Hardcore) and stoped playing.

Do It Ourselves
Old December 23, 2002, 12:08   #16
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Father Beast

one of my peculiarities is that I'm doing a type that isn't even suggested in the strat guides out there, a summonmancer. That is, I focus all my skill points on summoning skills, totally ignoring the poison and curses.

I eventually found myself being not a fighter, but a manager. my job is to watch the amounts of skeletons, mages, and revives and make sure my fighting force is up to snuff. got a town guard with prayer and a huge halberd with 3 emeralds in it that kills most critters fast. even beat Diablo at level 28 with a good iron golem. got a bit expensive buying all those items to raise golems from though...
That build is known as a Zookeeper ... although it is more usual to have a couple of curses to augment your summons.
Old December 25, 2002, 18:37   #17
aahz_capone
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesApolyton UniversityDiplomacy
Prince

I've played all, and really the druid and amazons are two characters in one. (bowazon/javazon and elemental druid/weredruid)

I think the Assasin is the best. She rocks. It's a shame that the assasin in the 3rd act didn't do more in the story investigating Ormius. poo.

Second I'd put the Barbarian. He's hardcore.

The sorc is fun but compared to diablo 1 has little magic to choose from. The druid is the hardest to develope, and I don't like morphing, but I love his spells and having loads more followers on screen that are useful in comparison to the necromancer.

The necro bores me really.

The Amazon is the class with my least amount of experience so I'm still developing her.
Old December 25, 2002, 20:30   #18
Chowlett
Alpha Centauri PBEM
King

Sorc. It has to be. But then, I've always been a spell-caster type.
"They offer us some, but we have no place to store a mullet." - Chegitz Guevara
Old December 26, 2002, 03:35   #19
BustaMike
The Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Local Time: 04:57
Location: You think you're better than me? You've been handling my ass pennies!!!
Diablo lol, there's a game I played a little too much. I have to say I had the most fun playing as a Necro until they were nerfed all to hell in 1.09. After that, I had tons of fun with my Sorc.

I was one of those perfectionist Diablo players. My Sorc had +13 to all skills and a Barbarian Mercenary that had ethereal vamp gaze and shaftstop armor (no durability loss on mercs). The Merc was a crazy tank and my sorc could dish out 1500+ damage 3+ times a second with Nova. It was loads of fun teleporting around and blowing stuff up.

I also had a little fun with a double throw barbarian until I realized that he wasn't going to make it past Act 1 on Hell.
Old December 26, 2002, 03:57   #20
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

damn, now I'm tempted to put this back on my hard drive

The only thing I dislike is act1. It gets boring. Act 2 and 3 are great. Act 4 is kind of boring but it is more challenging. Act 5 is pretty cool, but not as challenging as it should be.

So I hate slogging through act 1 to get to the good stuff. I'm not into the power gaming. Although my characters were no slouches. They had good builds, but I just played for fun. I never had the super-duper items everyone else seems to have.
Old December 27, 2002, 04:50   #21
Jethro83
Prince

Local Time: 22:57
Can't decide which specific character is my favourite, so I say Amazon, Paladin and Barbarian.
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." -- Thomas Jefferson
Old December 30, 2002, 14:23   #22
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

This thread is going to make me start the game up again. I thought I had left my addiction behind.

My two faves were the Necromancer and the Assassin.

Do any of you people play on open?
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old December 30, 2002, 23:43   #23
BustaMike
The Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Local Time: 04:57
Location: You think you're better than me? You've been handling my ass pennies!!!
I'm planning on playing a little more when the 1.10 patch is released, but I only play closed.
Old December 31, 2002, 22:41   #24
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

I only play closed.

This thread has got me in the mood too. The other thread got me in the mood for Baldur's Gate. I would be playing that more if I didn't have a problem with the game crashing in a certain city.
Old January 2, 2003, 01:25   #25
ravagon
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 20:57
My two favourites would be my Amazon and Necromancer - both of which I started with in 2000 when it came out.

That said though, the druid is deadly if you're playing Deathscythes "The Ancients" mod and Brother Laz's Megademon (The balrog thingy) as a character is another fave.
Old January 4, 2003, 01:13   #26
Felch
Civilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

My favorite character to play as was a defensive oriented Druid. I played on B.net with my friend, and by using dire wolves, oak sage, cyclone armor, and hurricane, along with a Defience Act II Merc, and a carrion vine, I was able to act as a bodyguard for his Sorc.

It wasn't much of a power build, but it was great fun to play, and I never saw anybody else doing anything like it.
Old January 4, 2003, 01:38   #27
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Haven't played the expansion classes.

Favorite is Necromancer -- I'd hide behind a horde of skeletal warriors/mages, using Bone Spear to pick off individual monsters. Fun times -- basically I was playing an amazon minus the risk of having to go toe-to-toe.

Next is Barbarian -- mindless hack'n'slash. Wutang! I enjoyed this one nearly as much as the Necromancer.

Next is Sorceress and Amazon -- I basically played them the same way as I played the Necromancer (stand back and pick the enemies off), but with them I didn't have a horde of monsters to hide behind, so they weren't as enjoyable to play. I somewhat preferred Amazon to Sorceress, since I didn't have to worry about the monsters' magical resistance, plus I got some nifty passive skills.

Paladin sucked. He'd've been a helluva lot better if I were able to use his auras to better effect in solo play, but as it was he was basically a weaker Barbarian. Maybe he'd've also have been a helluva lot better if I could have upped his Thorns up, but I never had the patience to raise his skills high enough for Thorns to play a factor.
Old January 4, 2003, 07:14   #28
aahz_capone
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesApolyton UniversityDiplomacy
Prince

I don't see why so few people like the assassin. she's powerful as hell!
Old January 4, 2003, 07:59   #29
Chowlett
Alpha Centauri PBEM
King

She also has the most enjoyable method of completing the Gidbinn quest. Set traps around the sword, then pick it up. Watch as the flayers get killed just running towards you.

I, too, am feeling Diablo cravings. Unfortunately, I only seem to be able to find my Expansion disk (there is a reason for this, and it's to do with the word "my"), which isn't much use on it's own.
"They offer us some, but we have no place to store a mullet." - Chegitz Guevara
Old January 16, 2003, 04:23   #30
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

I have installed Diablo2 and the Expansion, but cannot get it to work

maybe the server is down. I can connect to a server. But when I try to create a character it says the name is rejected by the server. I don't know why. I tried names that couldn't be taken by other people. I don't know why I can't create a character.