Old December 20, 2002, 19:22   #1
Sinapus
Warlord

Local Time: 07:01
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Barbarian uprisings in PTW
Is there any info on the mechanics of barbarian uprisings? Was playing a game where I got a good lead against most of the civs on my continent, but didn't get any really nasty uprisings until I started gifting techs to the other civs when I met them. The bam stacks of 20 units started appearing in all the camps I hadn't nailed yet. (Which can be painful since I modded the game to use Mounted Warriors for the advanced barbarian unit and removed the attack bonus from the current level I play at, which is Regent.)

Is there a threshold or something? No uprisings until a certain amount of civs gets construction or some other tech? A certain date? I must also mention that it's a custom map. Essentially, I generated the map and placed some civ starting locations, then put a few extra resources around each location for a good start and placed some extra barbarian camps in various places. Including a smallish (in comparison to the other landmasses) continent with some luxuries. I placed a bunch of camps there, and tend to call it the Isle of Barbarians. So that might affect the triggers for uprisings, but I am not completely certain.

(Tried searching the forums, but didn't find anything that mentioned it.)

Last edited by Sinapus; December 20, 2002 at 19:28.
Old December 20, 2002, 19:59   #2
Tuberski

Local Time: 08:01
You gave a Civ a tech that takes them to the medieval age. Once two Civs are in that age uprising start, or maybe it is an entire age ahead,not sure.

But it is two Civs, whether it is one age or two.

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old December 20, 2002, 23:53   #3
Sinapus
Warlord

Ah. Thanks for clearing that up.

"UG! Civs get smarter! RISE UP AND CRUSH THEM!! YAAAAAAAH!" -probable reason why they happen.
Old December 21, 2002, 01:00   #4
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

Soren Post About Barbarian Uprisings

That link should take you to Soren's response as to how Barbarian Uprisings occur. It was great to learn, since I use Raging Barb Level in my games. Now, I know when to be prepared for them.

Quote:
ok, enough with the suspense!

barbarian uprisings are triggered the second time a civ enters a new age. (once for the middle ages, once for the industrial age, once for the modern age...) The intention was to basically simulate the barbarian hordes that knocked out Rome and (to a lesser degree) the Mongols. This made a little more sense back when barbarians were more destructive, but having half your civ knocked out for seemingly random reasons was deemed not much fun. Instead, we flipped the concept around and gave a temporal bonus (the Golden Age) instead of a temporal penalty.
Old December 21, 2002, 03:38   #5
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 15:01
He could have tweaked it for PTW ,
Old December 21, 2002, 15:01   #6
Sinapus
Warlord

...well, this means I'm making life even more difficult for me since I'm using a personal mod that makes Numidian Mercenaries the basic barbarian unit and Mounted Warriors the advanced unit. That 3 defense makes taking out the camps... difficult.

(worse, I'm looking at some of the units from the Extras folder and thinking of throwing in some barbarian-specific units with better defenses and such.)