Old January 6, 2003, 12:18   #31
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 14:01
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Kropotkin
Btw, on the french map: Are the british real ****ers or what? half of their troops are already thousands of miles from the main front and the rest are in Southampton.
Oran II.
Old January 6, 2003, 13:57   #32
Comrade Tribune
Prince

This looks bad for the Brits:
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	3r5.gif
Views:	69
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	33283  

Free Slobo, lock up George, learn from Kim-Jong-Il.
Old January 6, 2003, 17:23   #33
Kropotkin
Emperor

Local Time: 15:01
I'm starting to get the hang of the game now (well I see that there's lot more to it but I understand the different phases) and it's interesting. More than you usually get from a strategy-game nowadays (damn the RTS-spam suckers call strategy).
Old January 6, 2003, 18:45   #34
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Thatīs the right attitude! The boardgame is 20 years old, and people are still arguing about the best strategies; that says something.
-----
Finally! Cairo, Suez and Alexandria have fallen; all British troops in Egypt are destroyed or have surrendered. However, in unconditionally supporting Mussoliniīs vendetta against the English and his dreams of a Neo-Roman Empire, I have just about spent myself into bankruptcy. Moreover, the Soviets are far from finished, and the shadow of the United States looms darkly on the Western horizon. In the moment it is far from clear if the 3rd Reich could afford this Egyptian Victory. 1942 will be the decisive year of the Second World War (or at least of this scenario, because it ends in Summer 42 ).
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	3r6.gif
Views:	70
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	33308  

Old January 6, 2003, 19:19   #35
Kropotkin
Emperor

So you're only playing the first part of the title (rise) and not the second (decline*). Isn't that kind of cheating. Like leading a football game in half time and then refuse to play on.

[oh that yes, those lousy santa caps are finally gone!!]

* Why decline? It's not like the 3rd reich faded away like and old man at the old folks home. Fall just seems better.
Old January 6, 2003, 20:27   #36
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Quote:
Isn't that kind of cheating. Like leading a football game in half time and then refuse to play on.
Not really, because the Victory Conditions are also different from the Grand Campaign.

They probably named it 'Rise and Decline' in honour to Gibbon ('Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire').
http://www.areyougame.com/interact/i...=AV41185%2D813

Last edited by Comrade Tribune; January 7, 2003 at 03:52.
Old January 7, 2003, 03:27   #37
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 09:01
Damnit! This thread has fooled me again. Last time I saw it I was going to say Battlefield 1942, but noticed its about strat games and not FPS.
Old January 8, 2003, 18:42   #38
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Another day, another turn
Anglo-Allied forces starting a buildup:
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	3r7.gif
Views:	58
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	33465  

Old January 8, 2003, 19:01   #39
Kropotkin
Emperor

Finished my first campaign with a stalemate as the allied at easy. Did pretty OK in the east and also nice in africa but after that I made to many trial and error-mistakes in my landings in the west. Well I learned a lot.

Those replacement-units; are they to any use at all or...?
Old January 8, 2003, 20:33   #40
Comrade Tribune
Prince

First game 3rd Reich a stalemate is good, even at easy.

Replacements rock. Because:

-1 They only cost 1 Burp.
-2 They make great Attrition losses.
-3 You want to build two, sometimes 3, lines of defense. Not counting Replacements, your force pool would be too small. This is especially true from normal level up.

Replacements are among my favourites (no joke); their only disadvantage is that they place a burden on your SR. You want to use them where things will be static for a few turns, preferably.

Btw, thatīs actually a -not quite obvious- advantage of the Red Army. Their Replacements are the 1-3s; at least I consider them not as bad Line Troops, but rather as mobile Replacements. Otoh, the designers somehow didnīt look favourably at the Red Airforce.

Old January 8, 2003, 20:34   #41
Grumbold
Emperor

Nice and cheap for taking attrition losses.
Old January 9, 2003, 07:54   #42
Kropotkin
Emperor

Yes I've got that by now. At first I though they hade some more esoteric value as giving extra strength for the units at the front. So that's why people reads the manual. I started another game but know I hardly dares to move a unit. The manual scared me.
Old January 9, 2003, 16:01   #43
Sten Sture
Emperor

Local Time: 05:01
Go get'em Kropotkin!

I have enjoyed two PC wargames, one is Norm Koger's The Art of War (A Century of Warfare is the final version) and the other surprisingly enough is Civ2, some of the WW2 mods by Capt Nemo and others are very well done. Since there are a number of new logins on the boards they may not be aware of the old Civ2 Scenario Design efforts - they are well worth a look. Take a look through the forum.

The link below has a bunch of After Action Reports on TAOW. Gives a good overview of the game and if you would like playing some of the scenarios.

http://www.warfarehq.com/After_Actio...eraction.shtml
Old January 10, 2003, 17:02   #44
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Quote:
The manual scared me.
There are actually two manuals: Double scare day! The Operations Manual is the more readable, but the Reference Manual has the really important information. In the end you will not be able to evade reading both. Itīs worth it, though. 3rd Reich is really the benchmark of WWII games.

Old January 10, 2003, 17:21   #45
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Finished this game!
Preparing to attack Leningrad:
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	3r8.gif
Views:	396
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	33621  

Old January 10, 2003, 17:25   #46
Comrade Tribune
Prince

The Dnieper River Line:
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	3r9.gif
Views:	402
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	33623  

Old January 10, 2003, 17:36   #47
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Leningrad falls! I didnīt get to Moscow, but the scenario ends with an Axis Decisive Victory nevertheless. At the end of the day, with taking Leningrad, Egypt and even Iraq, I had at least done better than Adolf. (This was normal difficulty, there are still 4 higher difficulty levels to explore; with this patch, the quality of the game is now as it should be; I only wish they had implemented Pbem. )
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	3r10.gif
Views:	55
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	33625  

Old January 10, 2003, 20:33   #48
Kropotkin
Emperor

Yeah I've noticed the two manuals, too bad I don't have a printer as it's not that easy to read on the screen and underlining important stuff with my pen is all but impossible...

I'm playing a second game on easy and now everything is working out fine. A bit to fine actually as the germans didn't have the guts to attack the not so mighty soviets and they're sorry about that now when I opened up the third front to help out the two in Italy and France. The loser has drawn away all his airsupport from the east so now even the russian airforce can contribute.

It's summer '44 and Stalin is about to lanch the fall offensive from his lines in eastern Europe. At the same time there's confused and heavy fighting in and around Napoli. Meanwhile troops are swarming into a all but undefended french countryside.
Old January 11, 2003, 06:05   #49
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Heh; time to get the difficulty level up a notch.

Old January 11, 2003, 07:13   #50
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Sten Sture The link below has a bunch of After Action Reports on TAOW. http://www.warfarehq.com/After_Actio...eraction.shtml
I have TAOW, but somehow I was unimpressed. Canīt quite remember, why. Could it be the ai is bad? I seem to remember it ignored supply consideration, was therefore easy to beat, if you went around it in a wide arc, cutting its main supply line, something like that.

Perhaps Iīll give it another try.

Old January 11, 2003, 14:59   #51
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Starting the 1939 Blitzkrieg scenario anew; this time playing the Allies on Challenging. Ai did good, competent starting moves, taking Denmark, Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg in Winter 1939. If it keeps the pressure up like this, France will not survive for long.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	3r11.gif
Views:	41
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	33692  

Old January 11, 2003, 18:06   #52
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Now AM I committed to the Defence of France, or what?
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	3r12.gif
Views:	39
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	33703  

Old January 11, 2003, 18:10   #53
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Chaotic attritional fighting ensues...

Now if I only knew who is cutting off whom...
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	3r13.gif
Views:	38
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	33704  

Old January 12, 2003, 08:59   #54
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Meanwhile, at the Egyptian border...

Most Italian troops in the area have surrendered. The Western Desert Force is taking Benghasi. Other British troops are blocking Tobruk. (We canīt take it just now, though, because the major offensive needed for that is not on budget.)
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	3r14.gif
Views:	34
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	33737  

Old January 12, 2003, 13:36   #55
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Fall 1940: France is still clinging to life, but only just. Lots of British troops are ferried over the Channel to bolster the defences of the demoralized French. But now the Allies are speedily running out of money. Uh-oh.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	3r15.gif
Views:	29
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	33753  

Old January 12, 2003, 15:39   #56
Kropotkin
Emperor

I've only managed a stalemate again. I noticed it was a grave misstake not to open up the eastern front much earlier. Germany had something like 400 burps so no matter how much weight my attacks had all of his forces re-emerged within a round. I'm must learn better attack-tactics. My defensive ability is doing fine but that's not gonna help me in a game with a time limit.
Old January 12, 2003, 16:20   #57
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Quote:
Germany had something like 400 burps so no matter how much weight my attacks had all of his forces re-emerged within a round.
There is a way around this, but itīs a secret.

No, it isnīt. 3 Strategies, in order of importance:

1) Empty his forcepool. Strike deep with Armour, put large clusters out of supply. Units eliminated while out of supply can not be immediately rebuilt. He canīt build anything if he has no units in his force pool. Read the manual, I told you so.

2) Generously use offensive options on more than one front. If you use lots of offensives, he will be forced to do same. Equalize spending power by giving lots of lend-lease to Russia, so everybody can throw the kitchen sink at the Germans. Counter-air at every opportunity; planes are expensive. Much of the German money comes from conquests, so take his conquests away -reconquer Minor Capitals. Especially kill the Axis Minors, Finns, Hungarians, Rumanians, and kill Italy; the German forcepool is not sufficient without Axis. Did you know that you can force Italy out of the war even without taking Rome? If you didnīt, read the manual.

3) Use Strategic Bombing. Over time it does make a difference. Also Strategic Bombing can soak off one 5-factor air per year, which is then not available to build. If you didnīt know this, itīs because you havenīt read the manual, yet.

Those are not the expert strategies. Those are the Rookie strategies. The expert strategies fill about 20 or so copies of the General (old wargaming mag). Thatīs why 3R is the Holy Grail of WWII strategy gaming. I wonder if there has ever been ANY other game for the PC -WWII or any other topic- where you could write 20 booklets full of strategies about.

Old January 12, 2003, 16:29   #58
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Winter 1940: The fate of France is looking grim. German Armour has reached the Seine, Italian troops are infiltrating the Alps, the Maginot line is in shambles. We are spending the last Francs on a desperate counter-offensive. Gloire! Patrie! Liberté!
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	3r16.gif
Views:	28
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	33763  

Old January 13, 2003, 14:21   #59
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Spring/Summer 1941: Paris falls in Spring, and France is throwing in the towel. The BEF retreats to St. Nazaire. The British Economy suffers catastrophic losses from the U-boat menace. Germany invades and conquers Yugoslavia. Impressed by the German successes, Hungaria, Rumania, Bulgaria and Finland join the Axis.

On the plus side, British forces capture Tobruk. A large Italian taskforce, comprising about 1/3 of the entire Italian navy, is sunk near the coast of Sicily.

Apart from U-boat activity, the Germans are mostly ignoring Britain. This does not keep the Prime Minister from holding a poetic speech: "We will fight them at the beaches. We will fight them in the fields. We will never surrender!"

A few Strategic Bombers are being sent to Berlin, and damage the largest German gnome factory. Production of gnomes is drastically reduced in 1941. Enraged, Adolf Hitler makes a fateful decision: An entire German Airfleet is ordered back to the homeland "to defend the German race and its gnomes". This Airfleet will not be available for the impending 'Operation Barbarossa'. Goering is rumoured to have commented: 'I always knew that the man was mad.'
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	3r17.gif
Views:	28
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	33852  

Old January 13, 2003, 14:30   #60
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

I think we should rename this thread Comrade Tribune's Fall of the 3rd Reich thread.