Old December 20, 2002, 19:33   #1
King_Henry
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:01
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Better start locations in PTW ?
I've been starting a lot of random new games after I installed PTW, and I've been thrown some really good starting locations. By that I mean I get more rivers near my capital, or I get more vital resoures near my cities. Is it the game or am I beginning to appreciate my starting point more?
Old December 21, 2002, 05:41   #2
Switch
Prince

Local Time: 08:01
I think your just appreciatinig you starts more.

Either that, or you've just had a streak of luck. Those are always nice.
Old December 21, 2002, 06:09   #3
CrONoS
Civ4 SP Democracy GameApolyton UniversityNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 09:01
Me i've got a really bad starting point. Look at this screenshot, this is a old game of PTW 1.04!(Difficulty: Monarch)

If you look closely I was in big trouble, By luck I had the Mounted Warrior UU, the best early UU, to conquer some American city(light blue), and got some better land. My Vital Space.

Nice morning/night.... got to sleep!!!
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	start.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	32213  

"Not by force of arms are civilizations held together, but by subtle threads of moral and intellectual principle." - Russell Kirk
Old December 22, 2002, 05:07   #4
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 15:01
I modded my PtW to make gigantic maps. I currently only started 2 games with this settings, but both gave me incredible crapstarts that should normally be impossible (no early resource / luxury at all in my surroundings). Here's the start of my current game. Specs are : continents, wet / warm. After some sea exploration, it turned out I was completely isolated until I got the Lighthouse. I then became the great techwore between 2 contients, until the others were able to navigate on seas too.

I also discovered some other Civs on small islands who were even less lucky than me (I had the biggest of all small islands, and was connected by sea to continents, not completely isolated)
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	start2.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	32291  
Old December 22, 2002, 05:42   #5
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 14:01
I have just had my first week with PTW and I love it,but I have been getting loads of really bad starts. I played a few of them as the Celts to about 500bc and was getting hammered on regent by 3 or 4 other AI civs and could not find any iron anywhere.

Without those Gallic Swordsmen to give you a boost your a dead duck !
The only game Ive had success with is the one Im playing on now and Ive gone back to warlord. I was just starting to win games at monarch on a regular basis with 1.29 civ3 but PTW is much tougher IMO.

The only good start I have got yet is this warlord game but Ill go to regent in my next.
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old December 22, 2002, 07:48   #6
CerberusIV
lifer
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 14:01
I had good and bad starts on civ3 1.29 and on PTW 1.14. The difference I have noticed (on standard maps anyway) is that the luxury resources seem to be more scattered in PTW. By that I mean there is still a cluster of most of a lux. resource but you seem to get more of an odd one or two of that resource at the other end of the same continent. It actually makes the early trading harder because the AI civs on the same continent as you already have one of your lux. resource.
Old December 22, 2002, 12:39   #7
Aramis
Prince

Local Time: 07:01
Perhaps it is a bad habit, or maybe I'm getting too picky, but I'll go through several starting positions before I keep a game. Some I dismiss immediately, and some I'll play a few turns, looking for a luxury resource right near by. The last game I started, about a week ago, I went through seven sps, choosing to continue the game with the eighth. And glad I was to do that.