Old December 21, 2002, 02:43   #1
johncmcleod
Prince

Local Time: 05:02
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Again and again, our government won't attack the root of the problem
Problem: Women being prejudiced and not getting equal opportunities to get sport scholarships at colleges.

Government's solution: Title IX Force the colleges to provide the same amount of scholarships for women and men.

Why it's bad: Men who are extremely serious athletes might get turned away and a much less serious and talented woman might get accepted.

Better solution: End the prejudices but changing the public's mind instead of enacting a law. This ends all problems related to the root and takes out the main problem itself.

Problem: Minorities not getting accepted into college because of racial biases.

Government's solution: That one law (I can't believe I forgot what it's called; total brain fart and I'm too lazy to go look up the name) that forces colleges to allow more minorities in.

Problem: A white person who is better suited to going to a college not getting accepted and a black person who isn't the same material getting in. (I do NOT mean to sound racist)

Better solution: End the prejudice by changing the public's mind about other races instead of enacting the law. This ends all problems related to the root and takes out the main problem itself.

Problem: People drinking too much alcohol, which is bad for them.

Government's solution: The Prohibition

Problem: It took away from the people's rights, didn't stop them from drinking alcohol, and turned the black market from a minnow to a whale. This ends all problems related to the root and takes out the main problem itself.

I wish things were different.

Better solution: Eliminate the public's demand for alcohol
"The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Old December 21, 2002, 05:46   #2
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Uh, slight detail, but how do you go about "changing the public's mind?" Considering that there's more than one of them, and each individual owner pretty much does whatever the hell they want with it, and any interest in facts, philosophies, whatever, are pretty much coincidental.

In particular, how would "the government" go about doing this, and why? Gee, our government wants to tell us what to think, even more than usual.
Old December 21, 2002, 07:57   #3
Kepler
Settler

The point is never to solve the problems. It's to posture and preen and appear to do something. Problems are important resources for governments, since they cause the public to give up more of their rights and riches to try to "solve" them.

This is why all problems must be made to persist forever. Happily, problems like racism and sexism have and will exist independently of whether governments address them or not.
Old December 21, 2002, 08:53   #4
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 16:02
Quote:
Problem: Minorities not getting accepted into college because of racial biases.
do college personel see the applicants before accepting? I could see prejudice somehow taking place. Solution: accept the applicants according to grades in nation-wide exams, and let everyone have an equal opportunity. The tests would be anonymous as well, with ID numbers only. problem solved.
Old December 21, 2002, 09:46   #5
aliveandwell
Settler

Local Time: 13:02
Quote:
Problem: Minorities not getting accepted into college because of racial biases
I think u got it wrong man, i cant apply to some scholarships becuase im white. But if i started a white-only scholarship i would be called a racist.
Old December 21, 2002, 10:21   #6
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 08:02
Quote:
Originally posted by Azazel
do college personel see the applicants before accepting? I could see prejudice somehow taking place. Solution: accept the applicants according to grades in nation-wide exams, and let everyone have an equal opportunity. The tests would be anonymous as well, with ID numbers only. problem solved.
I've had to send away my picture for every application and scholarship this year.

The nation-wide exams would never work. People would call them racist and gender biased.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old December 21, 2002, 11:06   #7
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Besides, basing everything on exams seems a little harsh. Some people are very talented but do not perform well in exams. I agree it is a problem, and it shouldn't be tackled with laws enforcing quotas based on the colour of someones skin. I agree that it would be great to have a system whereby the admissions people do not know the race or sex of an applicant, but obviously that isn't possible with interviews. Are admissions tutors still racially biased? In Britain if anything it is the other way round, in that most Universities don't know which applicants are of which race, and there are special aids for ethnic students going to some universities (Oxford's special access sceme for one). While they may succeed in getting more ethnic applicants into university, it does hint at 'positive' discrimination, which is a contradiction to me.

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old December 21, 2002, 11:54   #8
Guynemer
C4WDG The GooniesCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 09:02
Quote:
Originally posted by aliveandwell

I think u got it wrong man, i cant apply to some scholarships becuase im white. But if i started a white-only scholarship i would be called a racist.
So may I assume that you'll be first in line when we invent the Race-Ray, that turns white people into black people? Boy, life will be SO much easier for you then...
Old December 21, 2002, 12:18   #9
aliveandwell
Settler

yep
Old December 21, 2002, 12:23   #10
Az
Emperor

Quote:
The nation-wide exams would never work. People would call them racist and gender biased.
WHAT? WHY?
Old December 21, 2002, 13:15   #11
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Quote:
Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat
Uh, slight detail, but how do you go about "changing the public's mind?" Considering that there's more than one of them, and each individual owner pretty much does whatever the hell they want with it, and any interest in facts, philosophies, whatever, are pretty much coincidental.

In particular, how would "the government" go about doing this, and why? Gee, our government wants to tell us what to think, even more than usual.
Desegregation and forced busing were examples of how public policy forced the public to change its mind. Not that I liked the busing, but by forcing people together it did force many whites and blacks to start to see people of the opposite color as people rather than just "one of them".

Of course a lot of people thought desegregation was about providing equal access and stuff like that. But it wasn't.
Old December 21, 2002, 15:55   #12
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Azazel

WHAT? WHY?
Because Black kids don't get the same quality education in pre-college years, therefore they can't compete as well vis-a-vis white kids. Women have already made up the difference, and affirmative action in admissions for women should be ended.

There's nothing wrong with Title IX, by the way, aceept, of course, that College should be about academics and not sports.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old December 21, 2002, 15:59   #13
Az
Emperor

oh. but can't the parents choose the school to which their kids go? or does it have to be inside the neighbourhood or something?
Old December 21, 2002, 16:06   #14
chequita guevara
Emperor

It depends. In the larger cities there's some choice, but once the threshold of a certain percentage of Blacks is reached, white parents have a habit of pulling their kids out of the public school system and sending them to private schools. Then, because their kids aren't in the public school system, they resist expanding the school budget.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old December 21, 2002, 16:12   #15
Shi Huangdi
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara

Because Black kids don't get the same quality education in pre-college years, therefore they can't compete as well vis-a-vis white kids. Women have already made up the difference, and affirmative action in admissions for women should be ended.

There's nothing wrong with Title IX, by the way, aceept, of course, that College should be about academics and not sports.
Except there are plenty of middle class blacks who do get the same quality education in the pre-college years, and many lower class whites who don't. Which is why we must go by socioeconomic class, not race.

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand
Old December 21, 2002, 16:20   #16
Az
Emperor

Shi is right, che.
Old December 21, 2002, 16:29   #17
chequita guevara
Emperor

Shi is also right, and while class based AA would really help a lot of people, there is also an impact that overall racism takes upon Black kids. It's not very big, only amounts to about a 5% deviation from the norm, but it's there. I favor both forms of AA, actually. It just needs to be more heavily weighted to class, so that middle class Blacks don't have to get the AA stigma and lower class white kids can get an education.
Old December 21, 2002, 16:34   #18
Az
Emperor

Che, blacks also tend to favour other blacks. all of this is very wrong, but the only way you could fix it is education. Meanwhile the current laws are discriminatory, against your constitution, choose your favourite answer.