Old December 21, 2002, 09:48   #1
BigToolV8
Settler

Local Time: 13:02
Local Date: November 1, 2010
For Sid Meier
After playing Civ3 I was very impressed with your fine game. It worked well unpatched and the support was good. I couldn`t wait to "buy" Play the world. I was under the understanding that I`d be able to "play The World" with the new addon. How wrong I was. The whole point of PTW was the multiplayer feature. There are many problems with your new game m8. I wonder if you are aware of them, I`ve been trying to play a game now for 3 days and have only managed to launch and play 4 or 5 times . It is not clear to many peeps I`ve talked to where to get the patch, the Civ3 site does not tell European`s that they need a differant patch to the American one. Indeed the European patch is not easy to find. There are still problems with the new patch. I know not all issues can be resolved with 1 10 meg patch. But I do feel like PTW is a poor effort. Civ is not unreal tournament, why does it lag so much? It`s a turn based strategy game and I `m running a 600k cable modem. The lag is terrible, surly this would be a major concern while this game was in development, is it possible that this aspect as been overlooked? Please fix the Lag, patch support, chat going missing during games (i`d like to be able to say more than 2 words), crashes during launches and anglo american version conflicts as soon as possible. I feel very let down and the situation now is that PTW is going back into the box and into the pile of game I don`t play anymore. Sad but true. Thnx anyway Sid.

My most respectful thnx BigToolV8
Old December 21, 2002, 10:14   #2
WarpStorm
King

Local Time: 08:02
I'm not Sid, but I'll respond anyway.

First off, Sid has no control over what goes on the Civ3.com website. It is owned and run by Infogrames, not Firaxis, and they seem to be slacking on updates.

You are right, Civ3 is not Unreal Tournament. It is much easier to remove the appearance of lag and latency in FPS games than TBS games. Strange, but true. Why, how, huh? Most FPS games don't really care if message packets are lost or out of order. They keep going by using variantions of client side predicition to keep the game running smooth. This has the side effect of no 2 players actually 'knowing' the 'real' state of the game. Unfortunately, this won't cut it in a TBS game. You want every move that you make to be done in the order you did it and none to be thrown out. This means that you have to wait for the messages to be accepted by the other players before moving on. This is the cause of the lagginess. If you have a ping of 500, this means that every action will take about a half a second on the average to complete.

What can be done about this? Using the current model, a little tweaking might help a little, but the fundamental problem will still be there. The only thing I can think of to really fix this is to add a strict I-Go-U-Go mode where the entire message traffic (with the exception of chat and diplomacy) are sent at the end of players turns instead of continuously. This would allow the game to be lag-free when you can actually do something. This mode (as well as hotseat and PBEM) should have an Important Events Log, as you would miss everything when it isn't your turn.

PS, Sid, if you ever want to speak up on this forum, you have a captive audience.
Old December 21, 2002, 10:38   #3
zulu9812
King

Sid Meier has had almost nothing to do with the Civilization since the release of Civilization Gold in '94. Brian (edit ) Reynolds did Civ2, and Jeff Briggs did Civ3. The "Sid Meier's Civilization" is just a brand name now.
I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up

Last edited by zulu9812; December 21, 2002 at 11:45.
Old December 21, 2002, 11:31   #4
Peter Triggs
CTP2 Source Code ProjectCivilization IV Creators
King

How'd Burt manage to take time off his acting career to do Civ2?
Old December 21, 2002, 13:32   #5
jdd2007
NationStates
King

Local Time: 09:02

well if sid meier isnt doing anything with civ3, how come he doesnt have the time to visit apolyton?
Old December 21, 2002, 13:35   #6
zulu9812
King

He probably does, but do you really think he'd pick the username Sid Meier?
I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up
Old December 21, 2002, 13:36   #7
WarpStorm
King

Well, maybe, just maybe, he's working on his next game.
Old December 21, 2002, 14:31   #8
CrONoS
Civ4 SP Democracy GameApolyton UniversityNationStates
Emperor

What you say it's true.... but I want to know if CivNet, Civ2 MP, CTP was lagfree in MP? If yes, Civ3PTW have "strangely programmed" PTW since the others game was fine in MP and are TBS games.

Nice day

WarpStorm:
TBS games. Strange, but true. Why, how, huh? Most FPS games don't really care if message packets are lost or out of order. They keep going by using variantions of client side predicition to keep the game running smooth. This has the side effect of no 2 players actually 'knowing' the 'real' state of the game. Unfortunately, this won't cut it in a TBS game. You want every move that you make to be done in the order you did it and none to be thrown out. This means that you have to wait for the messages to be accepted by the other players before moving on. This is the cause of the lagginess. If you have a ping of 500, this means that every action will take about a half a second on the average to complete.

"Not by force of arms are civilizations held together, but by subtle threads of moral and intellectual principle." - Russell Kirk
Old December 21, 2002, 15:34   #9
WarpStorm
King

CivNet, Civ2 MPG, and SMAC all used the I-GO-U-GO method of multi-play and therefore were relatively lag free. I don't know about CTP, because I didn't like it in SP.
Old December 21, 2002, 16:07   #10
zulu9812
King

Incidentally, I don't know for sure if Sid posts here under a pseudonym - but I do know he checks the boards. About a year ago, he listed his 5 favourite sites in a mini-interview with a UK PC mag and Apolyton was #1.
Old December 21, 2002, 18:43   #11
Franses
Civilization III Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 14:02
Quote:
Originally posted by WarpStorm
CivNet, Civ2 MPG, and SMAC all used the I-GO-U-GO method of multi-play and therefore were relatively lag free. I don't know about CTP, because I didn't like it in SP.
I played a lot of CTP MP games and it worked fine. So it can be done. Have had many hours of fun with it. It is turn based but you can see if the opponent attackes and what the results are. So, I suppose it is more than I-GO-U-GO.

It must be possible to improve PTW dramatically. It now even plays badly sometimes over a LAN. Unbelievable. Having said that I have to admit that I have a couple of one to one games running good and having a lot of fun too.
Old December 22, 2002, 02:09   #12
Coracle
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by zulu9812
Sid Meier has had almost nothing to do with the Civilization since the release of Civilization Gold in '94. Brian (edit ) Reynolds did Civ2, and Jeff Briggs did Civ3. The "Sid Meier's Civilization" is just a brand name now.
It is a MARKETING GIMMICK, or trick. And it won't work next time.

Brian Reynolds? Let's keep him and dump Jeff Briggs for Civ 4.
Old December 22, 2002, 02:33   #13
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 07:02
Can we dump certain posters?
Old December 22, 2002, 02:57   #14
Swissy
Civilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMRise of Nations MultiplayerIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerBtS Tri-League

Quote:
Originally posted by jdd2007

well if sid meier isnt doing anything with civ3, how come he doesnt have the time to visit apolyton?
Seeing that the last game he had any real input as to design was SimGolf. I take that as an indication of what his current intrests lie. That means he is on the golf course, or calling his broker, or checking the bank to see if the latest check from Infgrammes has arrived. One thing he is not doing is checking Aployton, for until the checks stop rolling in he has no reason to be concerned with what we say.
Old December 22, 2002, 03:03   #15
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 06:02
Quote:
Originally posted by Swissy

Seeing that the last game he had any real input as to design was SimGolf. I take that as an indication of what his current intrests lie. That means he is on the golf course, or calling his broker, or checking the bank to see if the latest check from Infgrammes has arrived. One thing he is not doing is checking Aployton, for until the checks stop rolling in he has no reason to be concerned with what we say.
We should all be so lucky.
Old December 22, 2002, 03:47   #16
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

lol

It's very tempting to create a DL here, but I won't
Old December 22, 2002, 05:49   #17
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

Sid used to post here, at least I have seen a couple posts by him. I guess since he hit the big time with Sim Golf he has no time for us internet riff-raff.
Old December 22, 2002, 10:25   #18
WarpStorm
King

Actually, he used to post nearly daily on the (official) SimGolf forum for the first couple of months after it came out.
Old December 22, 2002, 11:18   #19
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by monkspider
Sid used to post here, at least I have seen a couple posts by him. I guess since he hit the big time with Sim Golf he has no time for us internet riff-raff.
If I hit the big time, I wouldn't have time for your riff-raff, either!
Old December 22, 2002, 15:10   #20
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I think Sid had hit the big time long before SimGolf.
Old December 23, 2002, 01:25   #21
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 15:02
Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
Can we dump certain posters?
hi ,

only in multiplayer

have a nice day & merry X-mass
Old December 24, 2002, 21:54   #22
mazzz
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

so are they maing a new editor?
Old December 25, 2002, 12:14   #23
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by mazzz
hi ,

no-one knows that for sure , but it must be said that the current one is limited in its options , and could use some ideas that Soren and a couple others have , .....

and the thing needs to be more user friendly when it comes to importing new units or buildings , .....

have a nice day
Old December 25, 2002, 13:21   #24
aahz_capone
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesApolyton UniversityDiplomacy
Prince

Local Time: 14:02
Quote:
Originally posted by zulu9812
Let's not forget the grand game that is SMAC, hhe?
Old December 26, 2002, 10:09   #25
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by mazzz
hi ,

lets hope they make an excellent one this time , we are lacking serious scenario building options , .......

in civII we had everything we could wish for to build good scenarios , options that should have been superseeded in civIII , ......

have a nice day