Old December 21, 2002, 19:57   #1
Harry Seldon
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireNationStates
King

Local Time: 13:03
Local Date: November 1, 2010
TBS Alternatives
As I wait for MOO3 to come out, I've been flipping through some of my old games looking for TBS. All I have is MOO1/2 and MOM. I'd like to invest in some new games of this genre but I'm not aware of many titles. I've seen the Civ series and Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri tossed about in this forum; what are some other ones I should look for and which are classics I'd be a fool not to own?
Harry Seldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2002, 20:24   #2
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 08:03
Buy Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri. It's pretty good.
Arnelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2002, 21:19   #3
kalbear
Warlord

SMAC has a lot of things going for it, especially for fans of MOO. It's a much better civ game than most give it credit for, even with the bugs; the factions have a lot of flavor to them to the point of playing 'within faction', the storyline is sufficiently cool in a sci-fi way, and it can be very addictive.

It's not a perfect fit, but I'd say it's likely the best out there.
kalbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2002, 22:22   #4
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 09:03
How about Stars!, Pax Imperium2, Space Empies III or IV. These are similar to Moo games. Only SEIV is still for sale, maybe SEIII as well. Stars can be gotten and a key to gt it going , I understand. Pax may be hard to find and is real time, but plays like TBS. I still play all of these and Ascendancy. Even get in a game of Alien Legacy once in a while and Star Generals, sick huh.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2002, 22:28   #5
vishniac
ACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Warlord

Local Time: 15:03
I agree totally: SMAC and its expansion (Alien Crossfire) are great. (BTW, which "bugs" are you, Kalbear, talking about?).

If you're into space exploration, you can enhance your experience by first reading The Martian Trilogy ("Red Mars", "Green Mars", "Blue Mars") by Kim Stanley Robinson. It was one of the sources of inspiration for the authors, and a great series of books.
vishniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2002, 22:42   #6
RolandtheMad
Trade Wars / BlackNova TradersCall to Power II Democracy Game
Warlord

I highly recommend SMAC & SMACX (The expansion). Alpha Centauri is a really, really good game. Like someone else said, the story is good (you can turn it off when youre tired of it too), the factions have real depth, diplomacy is good.. all around good game. Don`t know what else to say.

Another game I recommend is Call to Power 2. Alot of people don`t like this game, but it is pretty good after you put some mods on it - all available here at Apolyton.

Imperium Galactica 2 is a nice game. I like it, some people don`t because of it's lack of depth. After you beat it once or twice there is no replay value.

In regards to SE3, you can download the demo then have it cracked. I didn`t think it was worth paying for. Too tedius. I hear the same about SE4.

You could try Civ 2 ToT (Test of Time). It is an o.k. game I guess. Doesn`t have build queues though. I couldn`t stand that.

As for Civ 3 - I`ve only heard bad things about it. I considered buying it when it came out but I`m glad I didn`t.

Finally, consider a game called Stronghold. It isn`t TBS, but it is a true medival strategy game. If you`ve ever wanted to play a really, really good castle building game this is it. There are two campaigns (Military and Economy) and a free build mode.

So, I say get SMAC. The others are kind of iffy. If you`ve already got SMAC I`d go CTP2 if you want a civ type game or Imperium Galactica 2 if you want a space game.

Last edited by RolandtheMad; December 21, 2002 at 22:50.
RolandtheMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2002, 00:18   #7
Kc7mxo
King

I've been playing Medieval Total War a lot lately.

The diplomatic options are a bit weaker than Civ 3, but that really doesn't deter from the entertainment. THere's loads of options, and 3d battles with 3200 troops to a side can be pretty sweet. Especially if you have reserves extending beyond that.

I've had some battles where bodies carpeted the field as far as the eye could see. Quite fun, and units actually win battles they should win. The patch fixed just about every problem I had with the game, and it plays great on my system.

Very fun game.
Kc7mxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2002, 04:21   #8
Harry Seldon
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireNationStates
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Kc7mxo
The diplomatic options are a bit weaker than Civ 3, but that really doesn't deter from the entertainment.
My diplomacy has always been my sword anyway.

This is quite a shopping list so far...
Harry Seldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2002, 13:03   #9
kalbear
Warlord

Which bugs was I talking about? Well, there are still crash bugs now and then. There's the infinite missile bug, which was very lame at the time. There were some odd pathing issues that caused extraordinarily long turns, especially once a person gained mag tunnels.

Things like that, basically.
kalbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2002, 14:38   #10
Tolver
Chieftain

Local Time: 05:03
Quote:
Pax Imperium2
I refer to this game as PAFF! imperium. Cause while you are playing the game goes PAFF! and you are back to the desktop.
Tolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2002, 15:07   #11
vmxa1
Deity

Hum, I played it on Window 95/98/SE/ME and now XP and never had any crashes on many different pc's? From unpatched up the next to the last one. I think the last one I did not use, I forget if it was 1.06 or .07. 1.03 was fine.
Old December 24, 2002, 05:29   #12
Kc7mxo
King

I played the demo for pax2, had a whole bunch of problems with it. never bought the retail. was it any good?
Kc7mxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2002, 13:29   #13
vmxa1
Deity

I like it, but it has lots of micromanagement. If you like having tons of tech to research, you may like it.
The worse part to me is the spy aspects. You can steal a whole planet.
Old December 24, 2002, 18:45   #14
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 00:03
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I wonder how the thief fits that in his pocket.
Old December 25, 2002, 15:40   #15
vmxa1
Deity

It is crazy. I have had planets revolt and join me that I had not known about before then.
Old December 25, 2002, 17:13   #16
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Local Time: 14:03
The planet-stealing stuff utterly ruins what would otherwise be a solid contender in the 4x space genre. They got so much right - combined arms are a necessity, planetary defenses are worth something, research is split into theory and practice, with interesting trade-offs to be had every now and then, starlanes give raise to rally interesting "terrain" strategies... and then it's all for nothing, because the end-game is an ever-flipping game of planetary allegiance.

Disgusting.
Old December 26, 2002, 02:48   #17
Sikander
King

Local Time: 06:03
I have to say that SMAC / X is a must see game. It's really interesting from a player standpoint, and all around a high quality effort. You can get SMAC for less than 10$ U.S. mail order, while the (very good) expansion SMACX is harder to find.
Sikander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2002, 16:40   #18
Ozymandous
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by RolandtheMad
I highly recommend SMAC & SMACX (The expansion). Alpha Centauri is a really, really good game. Like someone else said, the story is good (you can turn it off when youre tired of it too), the factions have real depth, diplomacy is good.. all around good game. Don`t know what else to say.
SMAC? Dull and boring. Some like it and indeed it did have very good diplomacy model, but the AI was horrible and all you had to do was plant forests everywhere to win (IMHO, but I only played it to conclusion a handful of times, too much red/green.)

Quote:
Another game I recommend is Call to Power 2. Alot of people don`t like this game, but it is pretty good after you put some mods on it - all available here at Apolyton.
As with SMAC the AI in this game is horrible, only good if you mod it heavily with user created stuff (which is sad to have to do!)

Quote:
You could try Civ 2 ToT (Test of Time). It is an o.k. game I guess. Doesn`t have build queues though. I couldn`t stand that.
Civ2 is decent but *very* dated. Civ 3 has a lot more and better features than this, although if you want multiplayer Civ3 is _not_ the way to go.

Quote:
As for Civ 3 - I`ve only heard bad things about it. I considered buying it when it came out but I`m glad I didn`t.
Civ3 is a good, deep strategy game. Most who complain (that's 95% of the people here at Apoly who played Civ2 and couldn't.wouldn't change their play style) haven't played it with the newest patch and/or refuse to adapt their play to the game, preferring the game to be SOSDD to fit with their methods (heh).

(BTW, why comment on a game at all if you never played it? Just don't recommend it but you don't need to bash it.)

Quote:
Finally, consider a game called Stronghold. It isn`t TBS, but it is a true medival strategy game. If you`ve ever wanted to play a really, really good castle building game this is it. There are two campaigns (Military and Economy) and a free build mode.
Sorry, Stronghold is NOT a castle building game!!! If you want a castle BUILDING game, get an old game called "Castles" where you have to actually plan the layout of the castle then defend the area while the castle is actually being built, unlike Stronghold, where as soon as you lay the walls out, *poof* they are 100% complete.

Quote:
So, I say get SMAC. The others are kind of iffy. If you`ve already got SMAC I`d go CTP2 if you want a civ type game or Imperium Galactica 2 if you want a space game.
Yeah, get SMAC if you want all red/green graphics and horrible AI. I'd try Civ3 with the newest patch, but then again this is only mu opinion.
Ozymandous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2002, 17:09   #19
RolandtheMad
Trade Wars / BlackNova TradersCall to Power II Democracy Game
Warlord

Blah..! Why do you so loathe SMAC? Maybe it is because you 'refuse to adapt your play to the game'. I found it to be fun an challenging while trying to achieve the goals of my faction.. except for the Hive which was really easy to swarm the world on most difficulties. If you really don`t like the graphics there is an alternate art set with yellow fungus I think.

You should try to not build forests and instead build fungus and go for a transcendant win as the Gaians or Planet Cult.

Or perhaps you could try to unite the various factions and follow the dream of peace and democracy under Brother Lal and the Peacekeepers.

Finally, yes, the AI is easy to beat on most difficulties if you`re strictly a war monger which is what I suspect you are. If you want really challenging AI that can stand up to human intellect I think you`d be hard pressed to find it unless it was a cheating AI with loads of advantages.

As to Civ 3, I only included that because I`ve heard so many bad things about it. Just a warning I suppose.
RolandtheMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2002, 18:15   #20
vmxa1
Deity

Ozymandous, I would tend to agree with your assesment, except to say SMAC was an excellent game.
The red/green was hard to take and the game was too easy ala civ2. Both were too easy, but were lot of fun. I did finally get burned out on SMAC and I would say Civ3 is much superior to Civ2. At the higer levels it can give you a decent game and I have PTW and all the patches.
Old December 27, 2002, 20:04   #21
Destroyer
Prince

STARS! - This game is the worst looking game Ive ever seen in my life. A ZX makes this look shite. Yet there is a simple but fantastic game laying hidden underneath. It reminds me of the first time I played civ.

Wha it really needs is a civ2/3 style upgrade in terms of depth (it has no diplomacy) and graphics (the planets look quite nice). And the combat could have a moo2 graphical style - keeping the "guts", of the combat model.

The scope is the biggest 4x game ever. And has the best weapons too. What othergame allows you to fling asteroids across deep space. You can commit interplanetary genocide without even getting out of bed (so to speak).
Old December 28, 2002, 04:18   #22
vmxa1
Deity

They are sitting on the sequel now for a vey long time.
Old December 28, 2002, 11:24   #23
Destroyer
Prince

Is that Reach for the Stars?

I heard they could not find a publisher for it. I think it would struggle to sell well unless it had a huge visual revamp (and I do mean huge). But they could look to sell it online to the "hardcore", even if it is a beta.
Old December 28, 2002, 15:20   #24
vmxa1
Deity

No I was talking about Stars! Supernova. The longer it tkes the less it will be worth. Graphics that were created 2 or 3 years ago have gotten stale.
BTW the further I read the strat guide for Moo3 the more I see Space Empire ideas in it.
Old December 28, 2002, 20:10   #25
vee4473
King

How about Age of Mythology2? Slighty different gameplay to get used to, but if you like fantasy stuff, it's a cool game.

I like the combat.
Old December 28, 2002, 20:19   #26
Destroyer
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by vee4473
How about Age of Mythology2? Slighty different gameplay to get used to, but if you like fantasy stuff, it's a cool game.
We is talking (real) strategy!

Never played Space Empires VMXA. Whats the low-down?

Im sure it was you taht recommended STARS! to me, so your opinion is held in high regard
Old December 28, 2002, 20:27   #27
vee4473
King

well, AOE2 has as much strategy involved as any other TBS game..

Mastering the elements of a fantasy world is very difficult, but that could be difficult to anyone whio is used to units that are more "realistic"

after all, to someone who is used to civ, the differences of a cat warrior to a priest may not be understandable.

that's why i said "if you like fantasy"...

i still am getting to understand the units,

but the thread is about TBS games, so AOE2 is a good game to recommend if you like fantasy...need i say it again...if you like fantasy!!

And to say that there is no "real" strategy because it is a fantasy setting is pure...well....stupidity
Old December 28, 2002, 20:28   #28
vee4473
King

i meant AOM2 where AOE2 is mentioned
Old December 28, 2002, 20:43   #29
Destroyer
Prince

Looked at the official website for supernova, and I have to say Im actually more impressed with the graphics and gameplay than I am with a lot of MOO3s.

It does not look as if it going to get a release though. The site has not been updated for a while.
Old December 28, 2002, 20:46   #30
Destroyer
Prince

Isnt AOM a RTS?