Old December 24, 2002, 12:54   #31
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 07:04
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Crappy sales of the Xbox?

It just sold half a million in a single month in North America, 2.4M software titles.

For all 13 months of its existence, worldwide, MS has sold more games than the Gamecube.

I think MS realized games were important all along. That's why the Xbox has more games, and more quality games, than the Gamecube.

Hell, the Xbox has more & better games right now than the PS2 did 1.5 years ago at this stage in its lifecycle.

Plus they all look and sound so much better.
Old December 24, 2002, 14:17   #32
Saint Marcus
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 14:04
Quote:
For all 13 months of its existence, worldwide, MS has sold more games than the Gamecube.
we're comparing the Xbox to the PS2 here.

Quote:
Hell, the Xbox has more & better games right now than the PS2 did 1.5 years ago at this stage in its lifecycle.
well duh. that's how competition changes a market. when the PS2 was released, it had no competition. Please don't tell me you are actually impressed or even surprised by this development in the market?

Quote:
Plus they all look and sound so much better.
so you're on of those too?

graphics and sound don't matter, gameplay is what counts. And you can't argue that the Xbox has more quality games out now than the PS2. Sure, it beats the Gamecube (barely), but not the PS2.
Old December 24, 2002, 15:29   #33
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 07:04
Quote:
Originally posted by Saint Marcus
well duh. that's how competition changes a market. when the PS2 was released, it had no competition. Please don't tell me you are actually impressed or even surprised by this development in the market?
Competition! Precisely! You just proved a point for me that I don't think you intended...

The PS2 is where it is today because it had over a year with NO competition. A lot of killer games were in development because of that and came out this year when the Xbox and GCN launched, and now it's the Xbox and GCN's time to shine since they're more mature.

The PS2 should have sold far more, considering the Xbox sold better than the PS2 did in the first 12 months of its life WITH STIFF COMPETITION.

Quote:
so you're on of those too?

graphics and sound don't matter, gameplay is what counts. And you can't argue that the Xbox has more quality games out now than the PS2. Sure, it beats the Gamecube (barely), but not the PS2.
Red herring!
RED HERRING!

Xbox games look and sound better -- fact.
There's nothing preventing the gameplay on the Xbox, but it also looks and sounds better in addition to the gameplay.

Most games these days are multiplatform. It's a well known fact that the Xbox gets the best version of the game 95% of the time.

Now you may be one of those people who truly doesn't care about the presentation elements, but the vast majority of people aren't like that. I really can't stand to watch old sci-fi movies seriously on the basis of how awful the effects are compared to modern movies.

And if you truly only care about gameplay, why does the PS2 even exist? Why don't we stick with the PSX?

As for the more quality games argument, it depends on how you want to look at it. I was really disappointed with my PS2 and sold it to buy my Gamecube.

In my opinion the Xbox does have more quality games than the PS2. Then again, I'm of the opinion that FFX sucks ass, GTA3/GTA3: Vice City are decent games that don't hold my attention for long and the PC versions are better anyway, PES2 isn't for sale where I live.

Really, the PS2's game selection isn't all it's cracked up to be. In fact it's surprisingly bad for how popular the console is...