Old December 22, 2002, 09:30   #1
Borc
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG Neu Demogyptica
Warlord

Local Time: 14:04
Local Date: November 1, 2010
T I M E C O U N T E R
This turn lasts over 80 hours now... and so i decided to start a counter for the game... please believe me i don't want to lose friends here with that idea :-) My counter is only counting ... that's all...

if you have any comments write it here...
and please continue to use the SAVED GAME THREAD to give my counter a chance! thank you...

and good luck for the game...!

visit my TIME COUNTER
Old December 22, 2002, 09:35   #2
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 07:04
Did you write a program that automatically checks the thread and updates itself?
Old December 22, 2002, 09:39   #3
Borc
Warlord

No the first days i will update it by hand... if the feedback is good and if the idea with the green hours is optimised then probably i will ask you if you allow me to program a mailing list which can automatically log the send date of the game files and update the 7 clocks in real time... would be a nice little software :-)

but at the moment i a m a little bit afraid that you think i am overacting :-))
Old December 22, 2002, 09:52   #4
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 15:04
Sounds fair enough. Let's put it through a test period.
Cool design too!
- Phantom of the Opera

Last edited by Shiber; December 22, 2002 at 12:31.
Old December 22, 2002, 10:21   #5
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Re: T I M E C O U N T E R
Quote:
Originally posted by Borc
This turn lasts over 80 hours now... and so i decided to start a counter for the game... please believe me i don't want to lose friends here with that idea :-) My counter is only counting ... that's all...

if you have any comments write it here...
and please continue to use the SAVED GAME THREAD to give my counter a chance! thank you...

and good luck for the game...!

visit my TIME COUNTER
Good idea, Borc!

The page looks pretty nice even as a work of art...

Just one small correction: the second player for Legoland is not Spiffor, but me, vondrack. Be so kind and update the page to avoid any confusion. Thanks!
Old December 22, 2002, 11:13   #6
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

Local Time: 09:04
Borc - one thumbs up for the concept and another one for the time counter chart .

(maybe Firaxis will include it in their next patch )
Old December 22, 2002, 11:51   #7
Borc
Warlord

spiffor changed to vondrack thank you...!
Old December 22, 2002, 12:49   #8
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Two thumbs up!
Old December 22, 2002, 16:04   #9
Panzer32
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC4DG VoxInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshinePtWDG2 Monty PythonPtWDG2 MonkeyPtWDG2 Latin LoversPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Glory of War
Emperor

Another change:

GoW - Ghengis Farb is the current leader/player. I don't know of a second player yet...
Proud Member of the ISDG Apolyton Team; Member #2 in the Apolyton Yact Club.
King of Trafalgar and Lord of all Isolationia in the Civ III PTW Glory of War team.
---------
May God Bless.
Old December 22, 2002, 18:01   #10
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Panzer32
Another change:

GoW - Ghengis Farb is the current leader/player. I don't know of a second player yet...
Donegeal played the last turn, if I'm not available he usually is, but I have no problem with any other member of our team playing the save. We tend to have our turns and unit movements planned for the next 10-15 turns in advance anyway.
Old December 22, 2002, 20:06   #11
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

A lot of issues need to be addressed. What happens when the email with the save bounces because some leader's ISP is down or his inbox is full, or if say, a jet engine falls through one of the leaders' roof, smashing his computer to bits but not killing him because thankfully he'd been away, and now he's alive but his other clock is ticking.
Also, did the last sentence make any sense to you? If you answered no, you ought to watch the movie Donnie Darko. If you answered yes, you ought to watch the movie Donnie Darko.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old December 22, 2002, 20:50   #12
pikesfan
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Prince

What happens when the counter gets to 0?
Old December 22, 2002, 21:14   #13
DAVOUT
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Quote:
Originally posted by pikesfan
What happens when the counter gets to 0?
Ghengis will have a huge excess of hours; he will certainly organize a market for getting rid of it.
Old December 22, 2002, 21:37   #14
pikesfan
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Prince

But what happens to a team if its counter reaches 0?
Old December 22, 2002, 22:44   #15
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by pikesfan
But what happens to a team if its counter reaches 0?
As Borc was suggesting - this is just a counter for now. An experiment to see if it is a method which might work on aiding the pace of play. There was some discussion on the moves discussion thread about the team forfeiting the game, missing x number of moves, or something like that. But for now, I agree with Borc. Let's see if the approach works.
Old December 23, 2002, 04:05   #16
Borc
Warlord

Yep - the counter only counts... it is possible that the teams play faster only because there is a counter and only because it will become a little game to be not the slowest team... that would be the best solution...

the counter (with his "log file") also will show us what every team needs ("green hours" idea)

@Shiber: yes, if there are problems with sending files, with an ISP... then we will find a solution...

for example if team A writes "file sent" then the next team B (if they dont have green hours) have to post "file not here!" or "file corrupt!" as soon as possible and they also have to write a message to the team A... if team B protests like this then their own clock will stop (or be resetted?) and the clock of team A will start to run again...
But probably the counter will stop counting as long we dont know exactly what we want...
Old December 23, 2002, 05:27   #17
Shiber
Emperor

This opens a window for cheating, but I suppose we're all grown-ups and we can count on each other not exploiting this and making other people's counters run when they shouldn't.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old December 23, 2002, 10:17   #18
Beta
lifer
Deity

No one will cheat in the game. Pledges were made.
Old December 23, 2002, 14:07   #19
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 06:04
I'm OK with the counter as a tool to help illustrate the movement of the game. Maybe this will make teams more efficient in their turns and we can send them out on better times etc.
Old December 24, 2002, 11:47   #20
Donegeal
PtWDG Glory of WarC4DG VoxApolyCon 06 ParticipantsC4BtSDG TemplarsSpore
Emperor

Local Time: 13:04
I wasn't really even going to consider this until I actually went to the page. Very nice Borc. This idea has merit. I think we should keep a close eye on this idea as I am sure when the multi-site game starts ( ) something like this will be needed.

On another note: Look whose number one!!

WoooHooo! The Glory Rocks!

and GS must stand for Going Slowly.

Old December 24, 2002, 11:51   #21
Beta
lifer
Deity

GS = Glorious Snails
Old December 24, 2002, 12:31   #22
Shiber
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by donegeal
On another note: Look whose number one!!
Yeah, I suppose it only takes two seconds to put your worker into automatic mode and move a warrior or two in some random direction.
Oops, that belongs in the trash talking thread...

Quote:
Originally posted by BetaHound
GS = Glorious Snails
At least we're glorious.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old December 24, 2002, 19:47   #23
BigFurryMonster
PtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Ah.. that's important information. So, your team is moving in random directions, eh? And you've got two warriors? Hmm...
Old December 25, 2002, 22:19   #24
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Shiber
Yeah, I suppose it only takes two seconds to put your worker into automatic mode and move a warrior or two in some random direction.
What worker? We don't need no stinkin worker on a one-tile island.

IMPORTANT!

If a team fails to post "file sent" or some sort of post that they have sent the file to the next team the ENTIRE period until the next "file sent" post should count against their time. That's just flat out laziness.
Old December 25, 2002, 23:35   #25
E_T
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Yes, but what about if Poly is down when they are trying to post the File Sent Message and they can try to repost (after it comes back up) until the next team has posted their File Sent Message?

E_T
Old December 26, 2002, 03:19   #26
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

It's a guide E_T. I don't think anyone is gonna get crucified over it. There are all sorts of reasons why it would be a bad idea to make any clock official (other than the 24 hour one).
Old December 26, 2002, 08:26   #27
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

When Poly has been down MarkG has been very effecient about posting the time period it was down and we could simply have that time period not count like the green hours.
Old December 27, 2002, 03:47   #28
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Borc, a small suggestion: what about resorting the turn log in the anti-chronological order? When I check your counter, I am usually interested in the last turn info and currently, I have to scroll all the way down to be able to see it (and it will only get worse with time).
Old December 27, 2002, 15:38   #29
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 16:04
Quote:
No the first days i will update it by hand... if the feedback is good and if the idea with the green hours is optimised then probably i will ask you if you allow me to program a mailing list which can automatically log the send date of the game files and update the 7 clocks in real time... would be a nice little software :-)
Great idea. Can you implement it?
Old December 27, 2002, 16:01   #30
Thrumble
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 13:04
Quote:
Originally posted by vondrack
Borc, a small suggestion: what about resorting the turn log in the anti-chronological order? When I check your counter, I am usually interested in the last turn info and currently, I have to scroll all the way down to be able to see it (and it will only get worse with time).
It looks like he already did it.