Old December 27, 2002, 17:38   #31
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Local Time: 14:04
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Thrumble
It looks like he already did it.
Yup, he did!

Thanks, Borc!
Old December 28, 2002, 02:47   #32
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

Local Time: 09:04
Quote:
[SIZE=1]
On another note: Look whose number one!!
Ah yes - you mean Vox Controli, followed closely by Neu Demogyptica.

Good observation.
Old December 28, 2002, 05:23   #33
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 16:04
Old December 28, 2002, 06:55   #34
Borc
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG Neu Demogyptica
Warlord

It seems you all like my counter... in the new year i will start to make a small software for the counter...!
Old December 29, 2002, 19:03   #35
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 15:04
hi ,

great work Borc

have a nice day
Old December 30, 2002, 13:21   #36
Thrumble
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 13:04
The counter was an excellent idea as it provides data to let us know which teams are the "dead weight" slowing down turn time and therefore need to be eliminated from the game first.
Old January 2, 2003, 11:16   #37
Randolph
Civilization III Democracy GameC4DG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityPtWDG Gathering StormC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Prince

Local Time: 08:04
something's not quite working right. it still says we (GS) have the save, but it's gone through 2 teams since us...
Old January 2, 2003, 11:48   #38
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 15:04
Could be a Newyear thing

Give the man a break...
Old January 2, 2003, 11:52   #39
Randolph
Civilization III Democracy GameC4DG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityPtWDG Gathering StormC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Prince

There was also no "sent" in SR's post. Could that have done it?
Old January 2, 2003, 12:14   #40
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Randolph
There was also no "sent" in SR's post. Could that have done it?
AFAIK, the timecounter update is not automatic yet. Borc updates it manually (quite frequently, I have to say).
Old January 2, 2003, 12:20   #41
Randolph
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by vondrack

AFAIK, the timecounter update is not automatic yet. Borc updates it manually (quite frequently, I have to say).
Ahhh, Ok. For some reason I thought it auto-updated based on key words in posts.
Old January 2, 2003, 12:30   #42
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Do leading teams get some bonus?
Old January 2, 2003, 15:18   #43
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Every time I look at this thread's title it bugs me because it reminds me of all those stupid "U N I V E R S I T Y D I P L O M A S" spam emails I get all the time.
Old January 2, 2003, 16:53   #44
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 06:04
I think leading teams should get the option to nuke any country they want later in the game - with no diplomatic consequences of course.
Old January 2, 2003, 17:54   #45
lmtoops
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCiv4 SP Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 07:04
Assuming that their still around....so the team must be smart, quick, and organized. That sounds much like Legoland.
Old January 3, 2003, 08:32   #46
Randolph
Prince

Is the whole "green hours" thing really necessary?

There are some really good ideas in this system, but when it comes down to it I think a straight forward "total time team X has had the save" would be most useful.

Not to put too much pressure on though, it's very nice as is, and I appreciate all the work Borc has put into it.
Old January 3, 2003, 08:43   #47
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Quote:
Is the whole "green hours" thing really necessary?

There are some really good ideas in this system, but when it comes down to it I think a straight forward "total time team X has had the save" would be most useful.

Not to put too much pressure on though, it's very nice as is, and I appreciate all the work Borc has put into it.
Yes it is, I have no desire to get up every 30 miutes in the middle of the night to check my email to see if I have been sent the game save.

The green hours are a safety period where that team can get some sleep.
Old January 3, 2003, 08:51   #48
Randolph
Prince

yes but it would all average out anyway (we would expect some delays due to sleep)
Old January 3, 2003, 09:03   #49
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Randolph: This would be true if everybody was in the same timezone. But that's not the case.

Imagine: I'm in Europe, my predecessor is in America and sends the game in his evening. That'll be night for me. In the morning, before work, I usually don't have the time to browse the threads and to play a turn. That means, the game has to wait till my evening. The team would lose at least 12 hours every turn, because the situation doesn't change: Next turn will be sent during my night again, as my predecessor has not changed.

The green hours are good. For those who work (should be most of us) they are even too short.
Old January 3, 2003, 09:18   #50
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Quote:
yes but it would all average out anyway (we would expect some delays due to sleep)
It doesn't average out, the first 2-3 weeks Borc (who lives in Europe) would play and send me the save at 2:00 am my time, when I was asleep. Trip would receive the game in the afternoon his time because he received it from someone in his time zone.

The only fair way to do the counter was to give each team green hours during the time they were asleep.
Old January 3, 2003, 09:26   #51
Randolph
Prince

OK, I see the point (I work and sleep). I suppose my perspective is a bit off since I don't actually play.

My instinct is that I like to receive (relatively) raw data and make interpretations myself rather than have interpretations forced by the way the data is presented. I can determine myself that "X was sleeping/working during that period".

Having the green hours hides underlying inefficiencies in the system. For example if we're losing 12 hours each “full turn” because an individual’s turn always comes right when he/she gets to work (or goes to bed), we might (*might*) be able to do something to improve the overall efficiency (use a second player, get the previous team to send the turn an hour earlier, etc).

It depend on whether this is to be a tool for analyzing the efficiency of the system, or a method of dealing out blame. Unfortunately I have to agree that it is more likely to be used as the latter. Finally I don’t think it “needs to be changed”, I just wanted to point out my take.
Old January 3, 2003, 09:30   #52
Randolph
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by GhengisFarb

It doesn't average out, the first 2-3 weeks Borc (who lives in Europe) would play and send me the save at 2:00 am my time, when I was asleep. Trip would receive the game in the afternoon his time because he received it from someone in his time zone.

The only fair way to do the counter was to give each team green hours during the time they were asleep.
You’re certainly right here. I was greatly underestimating the amount of pattern there would be in the time of arrival. I was assuming that arrival time would be largely random, which is obviously not true.
Old January 3, 2003, 09:37   #53
vondrack
lifer
Emperor

Quote:
It depend on whether this is to be a tool for analyzing the efficiency of the system, or a method of dealing out blame. Unfortunately I have to agree that it is more likely to be used as the latter. Finally I don’t think it “needs to be changed”, I just wanted to point out my take.
Well, I believe that so far it was used neither for former, neither for latter. Nobody made any blaming and I'd be careful to speak about any efficiency analysis... I think it is just fine to have a simple means of seeing who's actually slowing the game down most. I believe we are all reasonable people and those that happen to fall behind will understand/use it as a reminder to do something to get back in line (well, yes, I am speaking of ourselves, too...).
Old January 3, 2003, 10:50   #54
Randolph
Prince

Quote:

I think it is just fine to have a simple means of seeing who's actually slowing the game down most.
This is what I meant by "dealing out blame"
Old January 5, 2003, 09:14   #55
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta

I was just checking something, and the Time Counter says that the green hours are from 12am until 7am of the primary player, right? Well why do the green hours start from 1am my time (8am GMT), instead of midnight?
Old January 5, 2003, 09:53   #56
vondrack
lifer
Emperor

Also, IIRC, Sir Ralph is in Europe, so he can't be GMT-7 or whetever US time it is listed there (and consequently, GS green hours must be completely wrong now). Borc, I believe you corrected the names of GS players after Sir Ralph took over from nye, but did not adjust the time zones accordingly, did you?
Old January 5, 2003, 09:58   #57
Eli
Emperor

Sweet. 14 hours for 2850BCE.
Old January 5, 2003, 11:35   #58
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Quote:
Also, IIRC, Sir Ralph is in Europe, so he can't be GMT-7 or whetever US time it is listed there (and consequently, GS green hours must be completely wrong now). Borc, I believe you corrected the names of GS players after Sir Ralph took over from nye, but did not adjust the time zones accordingly, did you?
I asked Borc to leave the green hours, where they are. Right now I'm at vacation and mostly am up the whole night (today went to bed 8:30am), and from Jan 13 on I will be working during these hours, making it impossible to make our turn too. NYEs green hours are definitely fine with me.
Old January 5, 2003, 13:52   #59
Thrumble
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 13:04
Quote:
Originally posted by Trip
I was just checking something, and the Time Counter says that the green hours are from 12am until 7am of the primary player, right? Well why do the green hours start from 1am my time (8am GMT), instead of midnight?
The Time Counter also states for you to inform Borc if you would like to change the time period of your green hours.

Old January 5, 2003, 14:47   #60
Jon Shafer

Yes, I saw that, but the default green hours should be correct... by default.