Old December 23, 2002, 04:32   #1
The Moose
Settler

Local Time: 13:07
Local Date: November 1, 2010
aluminum bug???
Playing the German version (patched) of PTW: I researched "chemical fissures" to get battle tanks (aluminum necessary), but the aluminum resource didn't show up on the maps until I had researched "rocketry". Is that a bug or do i really need to get rocketry to have aluminum shown on the map even though aluminum is necessary to built those battle tanks (Kampfpanzer)?? Doesn't sound logical to me.......
Old December 23, 2002, 04:45   #2
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Local Time: 14:07
Re: aluminum bug???
Quote:
Originally posted by The Moose
Playing the German version (patched) of PTW: I researched "chemical fissures" to get battle tanks (aluminum necessary), but the aluminum resource didn't show up on the maps until I had researched "rocketry". Is that a bug or do i really need to get rocketry to have aluminum shown on the map even though aluminum is necessary to built those battle tanks (Kampfpanzer)?? Doesn't sound logical to me.......
Aluminium shows up on the map when you research Rocketry, that is correct - just have a look into the civilopedia, you will find it there. The fact that you use aluminium to build Modern Armor, too (Cruise Missiles, F-15s, and Jet Fighters, that are directly allowed by Rocketry, also use aluminium), is something different.
Old December 23, 2002, 04:58   #3
The Moose
Settler

Re: Re: aluminum bug???
Quote:
Originally posted by vondrack

Aluminium shows up on the map when you research Rocketry, that is correct - just have a look into the civilopedia, you will find it there. The fact that you use aluminium to build Modern Armor, too (Cruise Missiles, F-15s, and Jet Fighters, that are directly allowed by Rocketry, also use aluminium), is something different.
I understand that. But if I decide to research down the ecology branch to get to the up-graded tank version (don't know exactly what it's called in the english version of civ), it doesn't make sense that i need to research rocketry first to have aluminum show up. resources should show up as soon as you have researched ANY technology with which you can build something using that resource. In my case, I researched chemical fissures just to find out that I cannot build these tanks as the resource aluminum doesn't show up on the map (it only did when i got rocketry).........................
Old December 23, 2002, 05:01   #4
elcapjtk
Settler

But that would make things too easy, I mean no other rescource has 2 scientific advances that could show it.
Old December 23, 2002, 05:11   #5
The Moose
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by elcapjtk
But that would make things too easy, I mean no other rescource has 2 scientific advances that could show it.
How could you invent anything if you didn't know about the pertaining resource??? IMO, it only makes sense that the resources appear whenever you have researched ANY technology that uses that resources........
Old December 23, 2002, 06:41   #6
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Local Time: 14:07
Re: Re: Re: aluminum bug???
Quote:
Originally posted by The Moose
I understand that. But if I decide to research down the ecology branch to get to the up-graded tank version (don't know exactly what it's called in the english version of civ), it doesn't make sense that i need to research rocketry first to have aluminum show up. resources should show up as soon as you have researched ANY technology with which you can build something using that resource. In my case, I researched chemical fissures just to find out that I cannot build these tanks as the resource aluminum doesn't show up on the map (it only did when i got rocketry).........................
Well, then, what you are actually saying is that you have found a design decision you do not like. Not a bug, though.

I will grant you that what you say has some merit (even though it would be easy to argue that you can consider Modern Armor a special "sub-tech" which is researched automatically and instantly after having researched Rocketry and Synthetic Fibers... or, that methods of locating sources of aluminium ore are developed as part of the Rocketry research...). But Civ3 is a game and lot of things is simplified or twisted to make for a more interesting and balanced game.
Old December 23, 2002, 06:46   #7
WarpStorm
King

Local Time: 08:07
The other issue is the way the resources are done in the editor only allows a resource to be tied to one tech advance. Of course, Firaxis could change this if they wanted.
Old December 23, 2002, 09:39   #8
metalhead
Warlord

Local Time: 09:07
Or, you could tweak the tech tree so that Rocketry is a prerequisite for Synthetic Fibers along with Ecology, to make it more logical if this really bothers you. Or, you could just do what makes the most sense, and always make sure to research Rocketry first.