Old December 23, 2002, 06:40   #1
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 15:07
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Pre-amendment Discussion: Single-Candidate Elections
Following the recent VP confirmation poll, several people including myself have voiced their discontent of the current system of confirmation polls.
I think that a change in the system is necessary. I propose that we set a bottom barrier for single-candidate elections or "confirmation polls" so that a candidate who is running alone for a certain government position would need at least 66% or 70% of the votes in favor, instead of just a regular majority vote.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old December 23, 2002, 06:50   #2
DAVOUT
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 14:07
I desagree intensely regarding single candidates. The confirmation thing is a totally different matter which cannot be solved by playing with the number required to be confirmed.
Old December 23, 2002, 07:18   #3
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Could you please elaborate?
- Phantom of the Opera
Old December 23, 2002, 07:31   #4
DAVOUT
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

The main quality that a single candidate displays is that he is candidate. The game is in need of people accepting to held the elected jobs; when only one candidate steps up, the reproach cannot be made to this candidate but to all other gamers, and making things more difficult for him is not only unfair, it is self defeating.

I am not against a VP nominated by the President and confirmed by the Senate, provided that the Senate does not think that the confirmation is equivalent as an election. I already explain that several times and have not yet been heard. If the Senate want to choose the VP, lets return to the elected VP. In this line, changing the majority for confirming the VP just makes the things more difficult as well.
Old December 23, 2002, 07:51   #5
Shiber
Emperor

I don't see why we should make it easier for a person to become VP just because we are short of candidates. In fact, the whole approach of "we can't get other candidates so let's elect this one out of default" seems wrong to me.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old December 23, 2002, 07:53   #6
DAVOUT
King

You certainly have a proposal to offset the lack of candidates.
Old December 23, 2002, 10:58   #7
Aidun
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC4WDG Huygen's UnionC4BtSDG TemplarsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Perhaps a rule that obligesthe President to find a minimum of two candidates. Maybe it will solve the problem because I think there are always people who could be candidate but simply do not announce: there is only a lack of candidates. Maybe the problem will not be solved by this new rule because if there are really no people willing (for any reason), even if the President asks them to, even the President cannot find any candidates: there is a lack of capable people.
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise can not see all ends." - J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring.
Term 9 and 10 Domestic Minister of the C3DG I., Term 8 Regional Governor of Old Persia in the C3DG and proud citizen of Apolyton. Royal Ambassador to Legoland in the C3 PTW DG, Foreign Affairs Minister and King of the United Kingdom in the MZO C3CDG and leader of the Monarchist Imperialist team. Moody Sir Aidun (The Impatient) of the Holy Templar Order in the C4BtSDG
Old December 23, 2002, 11:06   #8
Shiber
Emperor

Well, I for one intend to run for FAM next term, but should I not be elected then I promise that should I be asked by the next term president to be his vice then I will accept his proposal. Otherwise I will most likely look for an opening in regional administration.
It's high time that I started participating in this game more actively and took some responsibility.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old December 23, 2002, 13:48   #9
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 09:07
Congrats Shiber. Glad to have you on board. More people running, the better it will be.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old December 23, 2002, 16:13   #10
Togas
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 05:07
There is no need to raise the bar for single-candidate confirmation polls. What we do need is for the Senate to act responsibly in their confirmation of a candidate.

Blindly confirming a candidate because the President picked him, or feeling that you have no other choice because there's probably no one else is not acceptable.

The confirmation poll for VP was a way to merge two interests into one. The President has an interest in choosing the best person to serve as his "deputy President", and also being able to pick the best of those who lost in the minister elections. The Senate has an interest in having a direct say in who will be the President IF the elected President cannot perform his job.

Therefore, the President picks, but the Senate must confirm, which basically means the majority of the Senate must agree with the President.

If the Senate does not confirm, the President must make another choice.

There is no standard for who can and cannot be confirmed. You may vote against a candidate for any reason whatsoever. You may vote for them for any reason as well, but I hope that our Senate would be more responsible with who they make responsible for our country.

--Togas
Heir to the lost throne of Spain of the Roleplay Team in the PTW Democracy Multiplayer Team Game.
Old December 23, 2002, 16:59   #11
pikesfan
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 07:07
I don’t agree with this proposal, which amounts to punishing the candidate for being the only candidate. It’s not the candidate’s fault if he is the only one. If there were two candidates, he would have to get 50%+1 to be elected, which means that 50%-1 could be unhappy with him anyway. Why should he have to get more just because he is the only candidate?

If someone thinks he can do a better job than that candidate, he should run. If someone doesn’t like the candidate, he can always vote no.
Old December 23, 2002, 22:34   #12
Meshelic
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 05:07
I agree with this proposal, although I understand the arguments presented here, I don't think that they hold as much water.

Either the Senate should have to approve overwhelmingly with 65-70% of vote, or the Vice-President should be an elected position and not a nominated one.
Old December 23, 2002, 23:16   #13
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 07:07
We opted to make it the way it is to avoid the possibility of a President having a VP with whom he could not work productively.

Maybe allowing him to choose 2 for the senate to choose from would be OK. However, that might further discourage some candidates. It could be the other edge of a sharp sword.

I believe Togas has it right. The President must make his choice responsibly. The senate must vote responsibly. If these things do not happen, no system will work properly.
Old December 24, 2002, 00:58   #14
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Local Time: 08:07
Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
We opted to make it the way it is to avoid the possibility of a President having a VP with whom he could not work productively.
/me hears whispers of "Linney"...

Quote:
Maybe allowing him to choose 2 for the senate to choose from would be OK. However, that might further discourage some candidates. It could be the other edge of a sharp sword.
I would okay with that, but I see no reason to change things as they stand.

And if the most recent VP approval is what people are thinking of, I don't see how this would help. As Arnelos stated, there was no other willing candidate with equal or greater qualifications than panag's.

Quote:
I believe Togas has it right. The President must make his choice responsibly. The senate must vote responsibly. If these things do not happen, no system will work properly.
Old December 24, 2002, 11:11   #15
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 01:07
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Generally, as ever, Togas is much in the right. However, as one of the most annoyed by the current state of affairs, I would suggest that for confirmation polls, which are by their very definition single candidate races, we include at least a write-in option. I believe (and will continue to do so stubbornly until someone proves me wrong with cold hard facts) that many voted because panag was presented as the only candidate, and there was no alternative. This in my mind was equivalent to saying:

1. vote panag
2. vote against panag (but there's no-one else willing out of many possibles)
3. abstain and your vote counts for sh*t

As you may be able to tell I am uncharacteristically annoyed by all this and wil support any realistic solution to this problem, which I consider the most serious in our history.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old December 24, 2002, 16:27   #16
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 08:07
The point of the confirmation poll and allowing only the president to make the nominations is that the President and the Senate MUST AGREE on a choice. If there's a way to devise a simpler system to ensure that the President and Senate agree on a single candidate (a single candidate who ACCEPTS the job), to quote Mr. Ross Perot... "I'm all ears"