Old October 12, 2000, 17:30   #31
Fitz
King

Local Time: 17:49
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Okay, two comments:

Section 1) That many units isn't typical until 2300-2350. i'm used to playing LAN games with my friends, and we usually turn off all options except conquer, so everyone has a ****load of units. I also get so many units per base because I always have all my facilities built between techs earlier in the game (typically 4-6 turns), and they need to build something while I'm waiting for the next tech. Remember also that not every tech gives you a new facility to build, so there can be pleny of down time. Still, in these LAN games, if you aren't using approx 1/6 your minerals for attacking units, plus a couple of garrisons, you get creamed, because everyone is doing the same thing. That's why I play this way, and goddamn if it doesn't translate to massacring the AI.

Tree farms come depending on blind/non-blind. I usually play blind, so the time varies from 2250-2350 (sucks don't it?). Non-blind I typically beeline, but I haven't played that way in so long that I honestly couldn't tell you when I get them.

I think my key point is crawlers (as for everyone). The first thing I do when they become available is plant on in every rocky square in base radii, which have typically been mined by that point. Very few exceptions to this rule. I say again, ec is important, but minerals are more, and minerals with ec are even better. I can maintain every facility through minerals in the same time (or very slightly slower) that you can rush them, plus my ec all goes to upgrading all of my units to best/best (if I want it) with cool abilities.

Section 2) I started a new game against the AI last night, using the pirates. This faction KICKS ASS with FM, but you commit yourself to it. All you do is terraform every shelf square with Kelp/Mining, and every one becomes 2/2/1 with FM. I was even attacking my neighbor, just making sure to account for the extra drones (what's -1 nutrients for three turns ), and taking off doctors once in territory again. The only problem is I am now completely committed to FM. If I change off, every base gets energy from it's base square only. Ooops.
Old October 12, 2000, 18:25   #32
mark13
ACDG The Free Drones
King

Local Time: 01:49
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Yep, I would concur with Black Sunrise, any base that has the ME needs to be churning out crawlers to get as much energy as possible. Also, if you can get The Supercollider and Theory of Everything - ouch! - in the same base, you'll be at 2 techs/turn in no time at all. Even in a recent OCC I played, I was at 1 tech/turn by 2225 with this combination. Combined with FM - ouch! again - it doesn't even bear thinking about.

The only real downside to this strategy is the mountains and mountains of eco-damage, make sure you have Fungicidal Clean Formers about - you're going to need them!!

I don't have X, so I can't really comment on the PEG, but I can imagine that this would involve an even juicier combination, culminating in a barrage of energy and tech.
Old October 12, 2000, 20:25   #33
Misotu
Emperor

Local Time: 02:49
quote:

Originally posted by Fitz on 10-12-2000 05:30 PM
Tree farms come depending on blind/non-blind. I usually play blind, so the time varies from 2250-2350 (sucks don't it?).

Yes

The reason why you get there so late - even on blind - is because you have a mineral, rather than an energy, focus.

quote:

Section 2) I started a new game against the AI last night, using the pirates. This faction KICKS ASS with FM, but you commit yourself to it. All you do is terraform every shelf square with Kelp/Mining, and every one becomes 2/2/1 with FM.

Nope - what you do is build Kelp/Tidal Harness. Gives you 3/1/3 ... which is a lot more useful. Not only for the energy, but consider the nutrient aspect. Pirates can't pop boom using demo/planned/creche, so you *need* those nutrients. After that, you build aquafarm/thermocline which gives you 4/1/4, by which time you're rocking.

Once you've fed all that energy through nodes/energy bank/tree farms/research hosp/fusion labs etc you will be powering your way through. And, of course, you'll be able to handle the eco damage because there probably won't be any

The whole point about the Pirates is that their +1 minerals in the ocean makes them *perfect* for an energy-based strategy. Do it this way, and you'll make tree farms maybe 50 years earlier
[This message has been edited by Misotu (edited October 12, 2000).]
Old October 13, 2000, 13:42   #34
Fitz
King

Local Time: 17:49
Local Date: October 30, 2010
quote:

Originally posted by Misotu on 10-12-2000 08:25 PM
Nope - what you do is build Kelp/Tidal Harness. Gives you 3/1/3 ... which is a lot more useful. Not only for the energy, but consider the nutrient aspect. Pirates can't pop boom using demo/planned/creche, so you *need* those nutrients. After that, you build aquafarm/thermocline which gives you 4/1/4, by which time you're rocking.

I just started, and I haven't gotten rid of the energy restrictions yet. Thus, 2/2/1 with FM is great compared to 2/1/2 with FM, when I could get 2/1/2 without FM. Fast building plus lots of energy in the early game. It's like having a forest with tree farms from the get go. When I get close to TF tech, I'll start switching (already am) to tidal harnesses in preperation for 4/1/5 with FM with no energy restrictions. You're way ahead of me.

Old October 13, 2000, 23:55   #35
Misotu
Emperor

Local Time: 02:49
Fair enough

I never have enough formers at that stage to re-terraform all those squares ... and I usually get gene splicing pretty early. Without pop boom, it's the food I want.