Emperor

Local Time: 08:08
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Palaiologos
Hmmm...

I am the only Greek as far as i know.

What's MarkG, chopped liver?
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old February 13, 2003, 09:56   #152
Palaiologos
Civilization II PBEM
King

Local Time: 13:08
Quote:
Originally posted by The Mad Monk

What's MarkG, chopped liver?

i misunderstood. I thought he was speaking for the particular thread.
Old February 13, 2003, 10:01   #153
Palaiologos
Civilization II PBEM
King

Re: Re: New off-Topic thread
Quote:
Originally posted by Ancyrean

To give you a clue, this morning it snowed slightly in town and people I know were complaining it got this cold...Not as bad as last year though, it snowed so unusually heavy last year, Thes/niki was all in white for a couple of days, they told me it was for the first time it snowed like this in quite some years Also a small detail, also this morning I saw passing by the Exhibition area, one of the Greek flags at the enterance of the area broke free from its mast in one corner because of heavy wind I guess, unless they are quick to fix it, it can fly free in the next strong wind. I think this can make up for my adress...I apologise for taking up space here with this but I guess I'm still within the confines of the title of this thread

This much is true, I still have a few postings as of now

It is true thre was snowing last night. Exhibition area?

You mean the international ekthesis? I did not go there this morning but i believe you.

I will keep an eye on you however..

What is the street passing outside the Ekthesis called?
Old February 13, 2003, 11:18   #154
Ancyrean
Chieftain

Local Time: 22:08
Re: Re: Re: New off-Topic thread
Quote:
Originally posted by Palaiologos

What is the street passing outside the Ekthesis called?
I guess on one side it's Egnatia, on the other, facing White Tower, Leoforos Stratou, just before Tsimiski.

Btw, speaking of city names, the name of the second city of Ottomans in PtW is misspelt as 'Edrine'. The correct name is Edirne. (My hunch is that Palaiologos renames the city as Adrianopolis anyway-the ancient name of the city- after he takes it in games that he encounters Ottomans )

Also, the name Salonika is not the Turkish name used for the city (it's Selanik, in Turkish). I mean, Salonika was the name used by the Western countries during the time when the city was part of the Ottoman Empire. I still see the name Salonika around as a denizen of Thessaloniki, for example an insurance company here is called 'Inter-Salonika'.

So I think some credit should be given to Firaxis, from the standpoint of those who are very sensitive in issues like this, that they didnt put 'Selanik' as the name for the city in question in the Ottoman civ.

For the record, the Greek civ is one of my favourites in Civ3, I often play as Greeks (I rename nothing, again for the record, including Thessaloniki)...Hoplite is an excellent unit whose place is now challenged, among others, by Numidian Mercs...Still, both the Hoplite and Num. Mercs have their own merits
Old February 13, 2003, 11:24   #155
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 15:08
we've had a few threads before about correct naming of the cities. it's not just turkish names, also most other (e.g. wrong: romA correct: romE, munich --> münchen, cologne --> köln)
in the opinion of the majority, city names shouldn't be anglified. only convert the foreign letters into the equivalent in english (not everyone's computer supports babylonian rune script or egyptian symbols ).
Old March 6, 2003, 12:04   #156
Mad Mariner
Settler

Quote:
in the opinion of the majority, city names shouldn't be anglified. only convert the foreign letters into the equivalent in english (not everyone's computer supports babylonian rune script or egyptian symbols ).
My computer is so archaic i think it came with a hieroglyphical key board so i wouldnt mind this
Old March 7, 2003, 01:27   #157
Turk Man
Chieftain

why do we keep talking on the crap of topic
Old March 7, 2003, 02:19   #158
Azeem
Prince

There hasn't been any explosion of racist or inflamatory comments lately and it is best that any such things be avoided.
While you're here, Turk Man, how about we avoid this thread, let it collect dust, and talk about CivIII?
Only by knowing when to stop can we avoid danger." - Lao-zi, the "Dao-de-jing"
Old March 8, 2003, 06:06   #159
Switch
Prince

Local Time: 08:08
Speaking of keeping this on topic (and avoiding the fate of the ill-fated CivIV thread).....can anyone link me to a scenario which has the porper, unanglicized city names? Thanks in advance.
Old March 8, 2003, 06:56   #160
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 07:08
Encyclopaedia Britannica...

Some of those cities are too damn old to know if their name has been anglicized. Well, I guess I'm not that versed in ancient history. I think such a thing has not been done so far. Wish to be the first?

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old March 10, 2003, 00:45   #161
Turk Man
Chieftain

ok, i will stop for now !