View Poll Results: Should the slaves be emancipated?
Yes! Free them ASAP! 16 31.37%
Yes, but at our convenience; complete all PW improvement first 11 21.57%
No! Crack that whip! 24 47.06%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 23, 2002, 16:39   #1
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Local Time: 08:08
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Opinion Poll: Do you support emancipation?
Self explanatory. I think we need this to go along with the discussion thread (and it would be nice if we can keep discussion there, as it can be confusing when debates bounce around several threads).

Poll is set to last 5 days.
Old December 23, 2002, 17:05   #2
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 10:08
Free them!
Old December 23, 2002, 17:32   #3
Aidun
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC4WDG Huygen's UnionC4BtSDG TemplarsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 15:08
I still wonder what ASAP is...
Can anyone explain?
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise can not see all ends." - J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring.
Term 9 and 10 Domestic Minister of the C3DG I., Term 8 Regional Governor of Old Persia in the C3DG and proud citizen of Apolyton. Royal Ambassador to Legoland in the C3 PTW DG, Foreign Affairs Minister and King of the United Kingdom in the MZO C3CDG and leader of the Monarchist Imperialist team. Moody Sir Aidun (The Impatient) of the Holy Templar Order in the C4BtSDG
Old December 23, 2002, 17:36   #4
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Aidun
I still wonder what ASAP is...
Can anyone explain?
As Soon As Possible.

Which is what I voted for.
Old December 23, 2002, 17:44   #5
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 09:08
FREEDOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old December 23, 2002, 18:06   #6
Aidun
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC4WDG Huygen's UnionC4BtSDG TemplarsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Kloreep
As Soon As Possible.

Which is what I voted for.
And you're right. All Apolytonians MUST be equal before law!

Check my comment at trhe discussion forum.

Aidun
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise can not see all ends." - J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring.
Term 9 and 10 Domestic Minister of the C3DG I., Term 8 Regional Governor of Old Persia in the C3DG and proud citizen of Apolyton. Royal Ambassador to Legoland in the C3 PTW DG, Foreign Affairs Minister and King of the United Kingdom in the MZO C3CDG and leader of the Monarchist Imperialist team. Moody Sir Aidun (The Impatient) of the Holy Templar Order in the C4BtSDG
Old December 23, 2002, 18:12   #7
Hot_Enamel
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 00:08
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Think of the slave handlers ?
The Whip makers ?

I vote no !
Old December 23, 2002, 18:18   #8
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Definitely no. Aggie has shown me the way - the foreigners aren't humans, they're evil AI zombies. There is nothing wrong with enslaving the "AI-people". It's best that we replace our own, hard working men and women with these mindless zombies and let the human workers return to their families.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old December 23, 2002, 18:25   #9
Aidun
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Hot_Enamel
Think of the slave handlers ?
The Whip makers ?

I vote no !
Those undemocratic oppressors? The ones who ill-treat people who deserve freedom as much as you and I do?
Those who become rich over the backs of others who are too weak to resist?
Let them start a fair business! They should be lucky not to be condemned!
Old December 23, 2002, 18:29   #10
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 07:08
Crack that whip!

This is a game, not life. There is nothing immoral about enslaving bits and bytes.
Old December 23, 2002, 18:41   #11
Aidun
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
Crack that whip!

This is a game, not life. There is nothing immoral about enslaving bits and bytes.
Immortal, immortal? Think of justice!

But don't forget that an uneducated workforce that works under miserable contitions is not able to produce much. giving citizenship to these people gives them a chance to get educated and be of more worth to our great society.
Old December 23, 2002, 18:47   #12
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

You have a point.

However, as slaves they are free labour (duh). Our cities will grow of their own accord and they each have a maximum population due to finite amounts of food.

I would say it is better game-wise to keep the free labour to clean pollution and let our cities grow on their own.
Old December 23, 2002, 19:18   #13
Aidun
Emperor

Quote:
You have a point.
Thank you, I knew it.

Quote:
However, as slaves they are free labour (duh). Our cities will grow of their own accord and they each have a maximum population due to finite amounts of food.

I would say it is better game-wise to keep the free labour to clean pollution and let our cities grow on their own.
As a modern industralist I prefer well educated workers. As our glorious armies still conquer other nations, there keeps much to build. Slaves are in efficiënt and build slower. We can exploit the barren terrains around our new cities better AS FAST AS POSSIBLE so the cities can be of any use. They lie miles behind the other cities. With skilled workers this is better to be done than without.
Secondary: in wars many people die. The populationnumber of Hamburg fell in the war from 13 to 6 due to the artillerybombardments. The freed slaves can perfectly compensate this so the city can soon be as productive as it was before the war. Buiding improvements that serve the people such as temples and cathedrals should thus have priority in these cities.
Old December 23, 2002, 20:00   #14
notyoueither
Deity

Exactly how are workers that cost us nothing inefficient?
Old December 23, 2002, 20:05   #15
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Quote:
Slaves are in efficient and build slower.
You forgot to mention that they cost us absolutely nothing, while regular workers cost upkeep. Two slaves equal one domestic worker in work pace, and since two slaves cost you nothing while a domestic worker costs maintenance, slaves are superior when they come in quantity.
Soon we will finish improving our lands to the greatest extent possible within the game, and we'll only need workers to improve newly-conquered lands or to clean pollution. Then it would be time to retire our domestic workers and some of our slaves back to the cities, but not a moment earlier.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old December 23, 2002, 21:12   #16
Aidun
Emperor

As I see that I cannot change your mind and you cannot change mine, we could only await the outcome of the poll. Let's see what the others that have not yet spoken shall say.

Anyway I like situations as these when the outcome is not so predictable as it usually is.
Old December 23, 2002, 21:58   #17
Aidun
Emperor

Who are the people that have recently voted? I'd like to hear your comments. You three do not share my opinion.

Even four now already let us debate please we're not for lunching in the senate.

I was wrong: five ...

Last edited by Aidun; December 23, 2002 at 22:25.
Old December 23, 2002, 23:20   #18
Aggie
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Shiber, truly your conversion is a sign. The GREAT BANANA has informed me that these "slaves" are not slaves at all, but indentured servants, when in the future the have paid us back for food and upkeep and they have been deprogrammed from the AI, then we can accept them as citizens. The GREAT BANANA says this moment will come when all the work is finished and we have the "guest workers" with nothing to do. That will be his sign that they have worked off their debt to our nation.
Aggie
Old December 24, 2002, 00:01   #19
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

[rp] Shiber - you were one of the reasons I joined the labor party. I would never have guessed you to be so fickle to swap idealogies. I am dissappointed, nay crushed to see a fellow ALP member argue for slavery. [/rp]

Slavery... It just ain't right.

I vote for emancipation, and asap!!!
Old December 24, 2002, 03:17   #20
nz_upy
Warlord

Local Time: 13:08
KEEP THE SLAVES
that is all
Old December 24, 2002, 05:40   #21
Shiber
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Aggie
Shiber, truly your conversion is a sign.
[rp]
Conversion? CONVERSION? I would never have ANYTHING to do with your so-called religion of demagogy!!
[/rp]
- Phantom of the Opera
Old December 24, 2002, 10:45   #22
Donegeal
PtWDG Glory of WarC4DG VoxApolyCon 06 ParticipantsC4BtSDG TemplarsSpore
Emperor

[rp]
Apolytonia is Great. Truly a marvel.

Our work force is a large reason why we are so great. Would you really want to get rid of nearly 40% of the reason we are so great?

Emancipation is an a front to the Almighty Banana and everything that makes our country great. I choose now to pick up the reigns of where the Immortal Duddha left off with his visionary ARE (Apolytonian Racial Elitists)!!

Additionally, for those that want to spout about multi-cultural diversity, if you intergrate our slave population into our national population, we would loose our cultural diversity as the "freed" slaves would all become Apolytonian. In essence, there are only 50,000 Americans and 130,000 French people left in the entire world. If we "free" these people, we kill the ancient cultures of Abananaba!
[/rp]

Game wise, a move like this would be as smart as the idea Unortho had to change our government back to a Despotism. We currently have 92 native workers and 66 multi-cultural workers (1 Roman, 1 German, 2 English, 3 Greek, 5 American, 8 Babylonian, 13 Persian and 33 French). Intergrate our national workers. We are currently spending 92 LYTONS PER TURN to maintain them. In a little bit, work will be done except for polution clean up. Having 66 workers sitting around doing nothing but cleaning up polution will save us the need to build Recycling Centers and Mass Transit in all our cities (RC cost 2 LPT to maintain and so does MT. Multiply that by the number of cities (48) = 192 LPT) Plus the amount of time and shields that would be needed to combat a problem we already have a solution to.
Old December 24, 2002, 10:50   #23
Shiber
Emperor

Double post.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old December 24, 2002, 10:51   #24
Shiber
Emperor

We'll still have to build MTSs and RCs unless we want to see the entire world gradually turning into a desert.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old December 24, 2002, 12:04   #25
Aidun
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by donegeal
[rp]
Additionally, for those that want to spout about multi-cultural diversity, if you intergrate our slave population into our national population, we would loose our cultural diversity as the "freed" slaves would all become Apolytonian. In essence, there are only 50,000 Americans and 130,000 French people left in the entire world. If we "free" these people, we kill the ancient cultures of Abananaba!
[/rp]
[rp]
How can ancient cultures exist while they have no chance to express these in the current circumstances?
No temples, religion, theatre, newspapers, literature for slaves. How can you call their foreign-being to be culture. Culture can only be well developed among free people instead of oppressed!
[/rp]

Quote:
Originally posted by donegeal
Game wise, a move like this would be as smart as the idea Unortho had to change our government back to a Despotism. We currently have 92 native workers and 66 multi-cultural workers (1 Roman, 1 German, 2 English, 3 Greek, 5 American, 8 Babylonian, 13 Persian and 33 French). Intergrate our national workers. We are currently spending 92 LYTONS PER TURN to maintain them. In a little bit, work will be done except for polution clean up. Having 66 workers sitting around doing nothing but cleaning up polution will save us the need to build Recycling Centers and Mass Transit in all our cities (RC cost 2 LPT to maintain and so does MT. Multiply that by the number of cities (48) = 192 LPT) Plus the amount of time and shields that would be needed to combat a problem we already have a solution to.
Quote:
Originally posted by Shiber
We'll still have to build MTSs and RCs unless we want to see the entire world gradually turning into a desert.
As Shiber says, we cannot avoid building MTSs and RCs.
About the costs: our national income is 804 Lytons par turn. What in the name of the Great Banana is 92 Lytons par turn? The slave population accounts but to 41,7% of all workers: not the large majority.
When all slaves are freed, we they'll cost us 66 Lytons par turn, when they have been educated to be full workers, that is 8,2% of our current national income!
What on Abananaba are we talking about? 8,2%.
It can be even less if we let a part of them integrate in the societies of the newly conquered cities that have a lack of citizens to build up what was destroyed. They can work on farms in the surrounding area, or enter civil service as a scientist, entertainer or taxman. The last one lets us earn back what we have lost with the freeing of the slaves.
If these amounts are still too much, we can order our FAM by bill to stop import of expensive silks, ivory, or furs.
Financially there is no reason to deny the slaves their freedom.
Think of this: many nations would like to be in such a comfortable position as we are!

Aidun
Old December 24, 2002, 12:12   #26
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

Aidun - YES!!!

(crowd chants in the background - aidun aidun AIDUN AIDUN!!!!!)
Old December 24, 2002, 12:27   #27
Aidun
Emperor

Thank you Betahound. Shall we make a bill of it? There is a majority...
Old December 24, 2002, 12:28   #28
Shiber
Emperor

Quote:
our national income is 804 Lytons par turn. What in the name of the Great Banana is 92 Lytons par turn?
11.4% of our income, that's what we're paying to maintain our domestic workers!
Am I and Donegeal the only people who want to see this money saved? I honestly think not.

Quote:
The slave population accounts but to 41,7% of all workers: not the large majority.
When all slaves are freed, we they'll cost us 66 Lytons par turn, when they have been educated to be full workers, that is 8,2% of our current national income!
So you suggest that we pay even more?? If we replace all of our slaves with domestic workers like you suggest, we'll be paying 158 lytons per turn, which makes up 19.6% of our currnet income!!

Keep the slaves!
- Phantom of the Opera
Old December 24, 2002, 12:30   #29
Mr Mayor
Civilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStates
Warlord

Nobody cares bout the slaves, keep em now, let em do our jobs, construct our roads , grow our harvest, dig our mines , when the time come , when there sittin down doin nothing in our cites give them the rights they always wanted , if they cause trouble in the cites back to the work camps they'll go, slavery isnt all that bad , it all depends on how far we go. We shouldnt beat them or kill them. We feed and house them humainly, that should be enough. The govenment owns them as they own the land and the cites. In the end they will make the desion on weather to free them or not but if i ever see and fellow humain being not feed because of their race i will feed them and if they are beatin i will stop their oppressor. I vote for salvery, we just need to do it right.
Old December 24, 2002, 12:37   #30
Aidun
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Shiber
So you suggest that we pay even more?? If we replace all of our slaves with domestic workers like you suggest, we'll be paying 158 lytons per turn, which makes up 19.6% of our currnet income!!
Sorry, you are counting wrongly. It is (92+66)/(804+92).
Otherwise you are counting the domestic workets twice.
the answer to this sum is 17,6%. we still keep 804-66=738 Lytons par turn as our National Income. Isn't that enough?