Old October 14, 2000, 17:21   #1
Zurai
Chieftain

Local Time: 01:49
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Dune scenario/Modpack/TC
This is a repost from the Creation board for those that don't look there often.

I got a spark of inspiration a couple weeks ago when I was playing SMAC with a friend at school, and we started hacking out this idea. It started out as a total conversion, and I'd still like to do that, but TCs are a lot of work. Because of this, the initial offering will be a scenario on the planet Arrakis - better known as Dune.

For the scenario we plan on including the Fremen, the Bene Gesserit Sisterhood, the Spacing Guild, and Houses Corrino, Atreides,Harkonnen, and Vernius. In the TC (if it ever gets made), more factions will be released, including House Richesse, the Bene Tleilax, and others.

All unit parts, facilities, secret projects, and techs will be renamed and shuffled around. Fungus becomes deserts, and mindworms become Sandworms (the intitial spark of the design). Energy is translated into spice and nutrients to water. Minerals stay the same. The dynamics of the game will be very different from SMAC - for one thing, "Never one drop of rain on Arrakis" - thus, all squares are arid, and water is difficult to come by, limiting city sizes. Certain 'key' techs (like Doc:AP) will likely be available from nearly the start of the game, while some 'key' projects (The Weather Paradigm, now called The Flowering of Dune) are moved to the end of the game.

If anyone wants more information on the scenario or TC, or wants to help in any way, please contact me at zurai001@hotmail.com .
Old October 15, 2000, 04:53   #2
Aredhran
Prince

Local Time: 02:49
Could be interesting.
Old October 15, 2000, 05:21   #3
Black Sunrise
Prince

Local Time: 01:49
For fun, I made a map of Arakis.
Take random map of planet, Low moisture. Paint whole planet with land.
No ocean means no moisture, no rainy squares.
Change pretty much every resource square to energy (because spice=cash=energy). Expand great dues to span entire continent.
Fremen/Atredes is the Gaians (they ride worms!), start at the south pole.
Spice smugglers is Morgan, somewhere around equator.
Harkonen is probably hive or spartans, start at north pole.
Guild is university, I expect, start near harkonens.
Get rid of all the rivers, you have a nice realistic desert world that passes for dune. Leave a couple rivers at north pole so harkonens have some greenery, same at south pole, because of Fremen work. Make teriformers something you can only get with Trancendant thought.
Took about an hour, and was complete enough for my tastes. Made a new game, without changing anything radically.
Black Sunrise
who likes not having to alter the code or anything.