Old December 24, 2002, 04:30   #1
Gargantua
Settler

Local Time: 13:10
Local Date: November 1, 2010
No updates next two weeks
December 23rd, 2002:
From http://moo3.quicksilver.com/main.html"

"—Quicksilver Software would like to wish everyone a safe and happy holiday. Please note that access to our web site may be intermittent over the next few days as the QSI office is moving. There will not be any updates this week or next so you won't be missing much."
Gargantua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2002, 05:19   #2
Kc7mxo
King

Local Time: 08:10
Hah. I am thinking this is meaning we not doing any mooing while we're holidaying.

Grrr.
Kc7mxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2002, 12:16   #3
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

well at least the beta testers will still be working
H Tower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2002, 08:54   #4
Ozymandous
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Kc7mxo
Hah. I am thinking this is meaning we not doing any mooing while we're holidaying.

Grrr.
Gee, one day before Christmas and you *still* thought the game would be out by Christmas/New Years?

Been sampling the spiked egg nog again have we?
Ozymandous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2002, 10:06   #5
SnowFire
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Yeah, I noticed that too.

Well, let's put on our optimist hats, shall we? Assume that they would announce something as important as going gold. So let's say they do it 2 weeks after they posted this little message. That means it goes gold around August 8th... it's in stores on the 15th or so, just as some of the current release dates predict. Then I wait my enforced 2 weeks to see if the game is worth buying or not (with so many delays, I'm not taking the risk on immediate purchase). Then, assuming it's good, there's the 2 days shipping... and January will be over, the month in-between semesters that was just asking to be set aside and sacrificed to MOO3.

Sigh.
Old December 26, 2002, 12:18   #6
Mongoose
ACDG The Free Drones
King

Quote:
Originally posted by SnowFire

...That means it goes gold around August 8th... it's in...
Emphasis added. Where did this come from?
Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2002, 17:33   #7
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 09:10
Quote:
Originally posted by Mongoose

Emphasis added. Where did this come from?
They found another bug.
Sarxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2002, 18:26   #8
Kc7mxo
King

Quote:
Gee, one day before Christmas and you *still* thought the game would be out by Christmas/New Years?

Been sampling the spiked egg nog again have we?
Ahh, I need to add that my holiday extends halfway into january, as fall semester ended on the 20th. So my vacation is 3 and a half weeks. I had hopes the game might be out around the first or so, perhaps the sixth. Oh well.

On the bright side, someone gave me morrowwind for christmas. Although the game has so far greatly annoyed me because of its contrived maps. it wouldn't let me climb this stupid hill, its not even 100 feet tall, and the town I'm after is right on the other side.

So I had to backtrack for half an hour, because I had erroneously assumed that I could climb reasonable sized hills. Oh well.
Old December 26, 2002, 22:21   #9
Tuberski

Quote:

Ahh, I need to add that my holiday extends halfway into january, as fall semester ended on the 20th. So my vacation is 3 and a half weeks. I had hopes the game might be out around the first or so, perhaps the sixth. Oh well.

On the bright side, someone gave me morrowwind for christmas. Although the game has so far greatly annoyed me because of its contrived maps. it wouldn't let me climb this stupid hill, its not even 100 feet tall, and the town I'm after is right on the other side.

So I had to backtrack for half an hour, because I had erroneously assumed that I could climb reasonable sized hills. Oh well.

Go to the Other games forum and I will bump the Morrowind threads there. There is a lot of good information to be had, you will soon be addicted.

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Tuberski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2002, 02:08   #10
Kc7mxo
King

i started reading a faq on gamefaqs.com, because i'd kinda got off track. i got the first quest from the first guy, and then i wandered all over the fricking world look for some little ruins that were right next door.

when i quit today i was diving for pearls in oysters south of the nordic islands.

I caught some annoying disease and nobody in the town would talk to me. There was no healer or temple either, and since I can't use the quick travel options, I just sort of wandered off, heading south.
Old December 27, 2002, 06:48   #11
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 03:10
I think the move means they are in dire straights.
TCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2002, 09:55   #12
Ozymandous
Prince

Sheesh...
Or it could mean that they had to hire more people to work on the game than they had room for.

What's up with people trolling with pessimistic attitudes all the time?
Old December 27, 2002, 09:57   #13
Ozymandous
Prince

Quote:

Well don't forget that I believe Civ3 and PTW all "went gold" and less than a week later the game was out (if I remember correctly.)

Unlike some companies *cough* Blizzard *cough* that go gold then wait a month to month and a half to release a game, Infogrames seems to like waiting till the game is already being duplicated and shipping to announce "gold", at least from what I have seen. Could be wrong however.
Old December 27, 2002, 13:14   #14
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Local Time: 14:10
Quote:
Originally posted by GP
I think the move means they are in dire straights.
And if they'd released now they'd be... gay?

Sorry, I couldn't help myself, GP.
Old December 27, 2002, 17:37   #15
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 03:10
Re: Sheesh...
Quote:
Originally posted by Ozymandous
Or it could mean that they had to hire more people to work on the game than they had room for.

What's up with people trolling with pessimistic attitudes all the time?
Some of the trolling pessimism has been justified. Given that QS doesn't choose to publish its dirty laundry until the **** hits the fan, I don't feel wrong to make quesses.

The move might be innocent. Or it might be business-related. Perhaps they took a penalty clause in their last contract. I hope they did, to be honest. They screwed up. They should pay for it. All is right in the world.
TCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2002, 19:39   #16
dulahan
Settler

Local Time: 07:10
Yeah.. I'd say the pessimism is justified. I mean, if they had gieven us warning this was coming up a month ago (Which they most likely knew about), no one would have thought twice about it. Essentially, it is just another thing that makes bleak prospects worse. Especially the no updates thing. Not that it mattered, they rarely held to their weekly updates thing to begin with, and even then it was half the time just a link to another preview that basically just re-hashed what was already said 5 times before.
dulahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2002, 19:46   #17
Mongoose
ACDG The Free Drones
King

It is more likely that this has been planned for quite some time, and had been scheduled for what they supposed would be a time well after the release of MOO3...probably moving to larger, plusher digs.
Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2002, 13:07   #18
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Local Time: 14:10
Quote:
Originally posted by Mongoose
probably moving to larger, plusher digs.
Or smaller, cheaper ones.
Old December 30, 2002, 18:19   #19
star mouse
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 00:10
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by moomin
Or smaller, cheaper ones.
or larger, cheaper ones ...
Old December 30, 2002, 18:36   #20
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 00:10
Local Date: November 2, 2010

Old December 30, 2002, 19:59   #21
Tuberski

Oh Great! Now have to wait a couple of weeks to find out the games been delayed again????

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Tuberski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2002, 22:00   #22
timorange
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by star mouse
or larger, cheaper ones ...

from what i heard, you are correct.
timorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2002, 15:07   #23
Vince278
King

Speaking as a network engineer myself I don't see why it will take them days or weeks to move (unless they are total idiots and start rebuilding their entire infrastructure AFTER taking themselves down). Something isn't right...
Vince278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2002, 17:43   #24
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 09:10
Some compainies have a very lax view of IT. When I first went to work for a certain software vendor, they did not worry about taking the system down at any time to test things. Another shop I worked at in 1980 would let any engineer come in and pull bus and tags of cables. I put a stop to that the first time I saw it.
There is no real excuse to have interrupts to work, on a scheduled event. We moved entire data centers over holidays and came up on time. A network, should be upgrade/repair or replaced with the original in tact or in parallel, no outage during working hours.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2003, 07:19   #25
TheMaestro
NationStates
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Tuberski
Oh Great! Now have to wait a couple of weeks to find out the games been delayed again????

ACK!
LoL, a delay in announcing a delay...

...now we HAVE seen everything. hehe
TheMaestro is offline   Reply With Quote