Old December 24, 2002, 16:46   #1
Yolky
Prince

Local Time: 09:11
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Favorite Moo1 race?
We all know what we like in Moo2, but what about Moo1?

Mine was the Pslion at first then the Klackons but know its the Darlocks. Just love the spying game.

How about you guys and galls? (galls? if there are any)

Davor

Yolky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2002, 18:13   #2
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I think my avatar says it all for me.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2002, 18:59   #3
granid
Settler

Local Time: 13:11
In my case, the screen name is a pretty good hint. I prefer them because I can colonize hostile planets with impunity, which is great for small universes.

Recently I switched to Psilons, and a research-mauler-device-and-clean-house play style. I sit in a corner somewhere, make sure I have about the second largest empire, and then get everyone else to fight each other. Meanwhile, I put everything into research, and when I get the mauler device build a stack of huge decked out ships and go to work.

I never tried Klackons. I'll give them a try sometime. vmxa, I never realized your avatar was the klackon-- I always thought it was some nobleman wearing a musketeer hat
granid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2002, 23:37   #4
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 21:11
I like the Klacs too, then Psilons, then Merlars. Never liked humans and suck at coids.

Quote:
Originally posted by granid
I never tried Klackons. I'll give them a try sometime. vmxa, I never realized your avatar was the klackon-- I always thought it was some nobleman wearing a musketeer hat
Urban Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2002, 00:19   #5
Yolky
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1
I think my avatar says it all for me.

I never knew.

I think I might try Sililoids. I never tried them yet. I hear they are the hardest to play.

Davor
Yolky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2002, 05:12   #6
Urban Ranger
Deity

Some people find the coids easy. Not me.
Old December 30, 2002, 02:50   #7
intrigue
Settler

Local Time: 13:11
I have always like playing the Sakkra the best in MOO1...
My favorite strategy was to colonize as many high pop worlds I could fine - concentrate on ground combat techs and pop increasing techs. Then simply start sending invasion ships to enemy planets. Eventually I'd get the combat transporters too which was fun with this.

I also liked the Meklars... that extra set of factories was a nice edge throughout a game... I think I liked the Meklars because most of the other race's bonuses were acheivable with technology.
intrigue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2002, 05:18   #8
vmxa1
Deity

Klac in Moo1 are the easy as they can produce like crazy. The Psilons are easy after they get rolling as they pop tech like nothing flat.
The avatar is right out of the Moo1 manual.
Saks are stong as well.
I find the sili and the Darloks the hardest to play.
Old December 30, 2002, 07:38   #9
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Local Time: 14:11
The overall nod to the Klacks, I think. Prod is king.
Old December 30, 2002, 08:41   #10
DaveV
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

I'll go against the grain, and say Humans. They research very well and have some nice trade bonuses. But the main reason is so I don't have to face them in the council elections. Oh, how I hate it when some sleazy AI wins the election just as I'm overcoming the early game deficit!

I try never to win the game by election; I consider that a cheap win (although it's very tempting when playing as the Humans).

For me, the hardest races are the Mrrshans, Alkaris, and Bulrathis.
DaveV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2002, 14:56   #11
vmxa1
Deity

Mrrs are a tough choice. In a small universe on hard or impossible, the vote is always the most dangerous thing. Once you get to the 1/3 + 1 vote point, you are golden.
Old December 30, 2002, 23:05   #12
Urban Ranger
Deity

Mrrshans are pretty tough although I find the Alkaris good to play. They have cool defensive bonuses and their gift in researching populsion is nothing to be sneered at.
Old December 30, 2002, 23:21   #13
vmxa1
Deity

Sili, Mrrs, Darloks are among the hardest for me, but it could be due to my not playing them more than once or twice each. I may not be using the optimal tactics.
Old January 2, 2003, 12:12   #14
AIL
Warlord

I think Alkari are really good Rush-Race in Moo1 I bet a compareble fleet of the Sakra, that had compareable tech with only 1/5th of their losses. They just were unable to target my masses of Fighter-Class Ships.

But I do not favour any of the races. I play all of them.
AIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2003, 13:42   #15
vmxa1
Deity

Well of course Alkari will win a space battle of even up ships. The problem is that they will most likely encounter a superior fleet from the Sakkra. In most universes the Sakkra will out expand the Alkari and have better tech and ships.
Old January 2, 2003, 15:23   #16
AIL
Warlord

Well since I, because of a lack of time, am only playing in a medium galaxy, they had no chance to outexpand me. I now have more industrial power than the Klackons who are the biggest in Planets. After the war, I currently have with the weak Silicoids, I think, I'll be strong enough to win. Mabye I win the voting before. It was 20:13 in the last, so with 2 more I'd have won already.
Old January 2, 2003, 17:11   #17
vmxa1
Deity

Cool, I should have noted that many factors go into the equation.
Difficulty setting and universe size, number of players and so on. If they Alk and Sak are close to each other and both have access to the same quality of planets, the Saks will over run them. If the human is playing the Alk on impossible level and the same condition, they will get over run more often than not.
If the setting is lower than Hard and they do not live in close proximity to one another, then the human can get out in front. I am presuming no funny business such as cheat codes or editors for this evaluation.
Since you have 20 votes (are they all yours or not) you are far enough into the game to over come the early jump the AI gets on the highest levels.
In a small map, it is all about your starting location. If you have a bad one you are dead on impossible. On hard it depends on how bad. I just played a hard game with a bad start to see what would happen. By bad I mean, I had HW and two other planets I could get to and expect to keep. The fourth planet was not close enough and I knew I could not hope to get there and hold it, only delay their start on it.
Anyway this was winnable, but it took a long time and the danger of a bad vote was ever present until I got 2 more planets.
Old January 3, 2003, 08:36   #18
AIL
Warlord

Difficulty is hard, not impossible. The 20 votes are not all mine. I have 15 myself, Klackons have 10, Darloks votet 5 for me and the Sillys 3 for the Klackons. But since they soon will not be anymore, they can't vote for the Klackons. However, the Klackons have lost lots of Pop in a war, which they are probably refilling now. They were it, who made the Sillys small enough for me!
Old January 3, 2003, 14:30   #19
vmxa1
Deity

Well for sure if you manage to grow larger than any AI, you will not have any problems.
If the Saks have access to good planets and you have access as well, they should grow faster and larger than you in the begining. Alk will not out grow the Saks, if the Saks have planets to colonize. If they get stuck in a poor spot, that is different.
At some point you will over come the head start that they will have (or lose). Their racial trait makes them the favorite to grow large given an even shake on planet distribution.
If you have 15 votes of your own and then closes has a lot less you have the game won.
I would expect this to this to mean you have around 10 planets. Were the Saks hemmed in? This can be due to having another race close by and betweenthem and the rest of the habitable planets, or having nearby planets be uncolonizable or very crappy. I would expect that Klacs and Saks would soon be the largest races, given a fair distribution of planets. Could you post a save of it?
Old January 3, 2003, 15:17   #20
AIL
Warlord

Hum, I can post a save, where the Saks are already dead, the Silicoids have only one planet left and a war between me and the Klacks just began.

I already won that game. The Klacks had no chance since they still only had the slowest drive and I easiely could avoid their main fleet while destroying their colonies with mine.

2 elections after the mentioned I won. Btw. I mixed up Darloks and Psilons in my last post. The Darloks were already dead and the Psilons voted for me.

You got to rename the attached file back to save1.gam, I had to change it because .gam is not allowed as extension.
Attached Files:
File Type: sav save1.sav (57.7 KB, 3 views)
Old January 3, 2003, 18:32   #21
vmxa1
Deity

Ok, I wanted to see what kind of a start Saks had. It did not seem bad. I would say you location is about as good as I have ever seen. I ould have expected them to do much better than they did.
Old January 3, 2003, 23:57   #22
Urban Ranger
Deity

I think the only way the Alks can outgrow the Saks when they are in proximity is for the Alks to guard all habitable planets with groups of small fighters. This forces the Saks to make a lot more ships than you to be able to colonise, so you get to expand your resources somewhere else.
Old January 4, 2003, 07:04   #23
AIL
Warlord

I can tell you why the Saks did not better than they did, they were were stuck on 5 planets because the Silicoids and Klackons colonized every other planet near em. I had a choke point to attack them (they could only reach one of my planets and that was protected by what UR said, planty of small fighters). The other thing is, that they had wars with other empires in the past, which weakended them.
Old January 4, 2003, 17:39   #24
AIL
Warlord

I now favourize the Humans. They are very easy to win with on hard! Make NAP&Trade with everyone as soon as you contact em, concentrate on planetology to grow your pop if nessesary, let em declare war at the guy with most pop besides you and get elected. Well ain't much fun, but it's very hard to loose with that strategy... Looks strange to have all opponents on amiable/affable!
Old January 5, 2003, 22:36   #25
Urban Ranger
Deity

You could do that with almost all races. You can't make non-agression pact in the beginning, but you can start off with a small trade pact. If the other side refuses, usually a small bribe will suffice. After the trade pact is in place, diplomatic relation goes up, then you can get an NAP, and Bob's your uncle.
Old January 6, 2003, 03:32   #26
AIL
Warlord

True, but you can't control them like you can with Human. You can easily make em declare war on each other and let em break their alliances.