Old December 24, 2002, 20:36   #1
Heresson
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 15:12
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Annoyances
Well, I wish to talk about some annoying questions in EU2, as well as the things that could be improved.
One annoying thing that happened in my recently finished game was Aztec-Mexico change. Well, I attacked Aztec Empire and reduced it to their capital only. In the time of some other war my province next to it revolted, and the barbarians attacked Aztec capital. Before I liberated my province, they took it and Aztecs became Mexicans.
Pagan Mexicans, which I can't make my vassals by peaceful means. Of course, my province was included into this state,
without creating a state of war between me and Mexico.
First of all, the question of percents is completely silly.
To conquer China, I'd have to to lead 5 wars or so against them, taking provinces of 98-99% value each time (only once or twice a nation in my game agreed on gains over or at 100%. Of course, it balances the game, but surely it could be done some other way. The question of capitals is even siller. Because how can I later attack a single city? That way, a lot of exclaves are created. Moreover, the diplomacy. Me, a catholic, pius nation, come to the new world and I am supposed to loose my reputation because I attack some pagan barbarians? It should be done the way it is in civ2. When You meet a player, You gain a contact and can choose your diplomatical attitude towards them. Also, there should be ability of sending missionaries on foreign ground, there should be more missionaries, and there should be a possibility of converting peacefully
a foreign state by diplomacy, and making someone a vassal despoite the religion.

And one question;
if You have two armies in one field, it is extremly hard to choose the second one. How do You do that?
Heresson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2002, 21:32   #2
Palaiologos
Civilization II PBEM
King

Local Time: 13:12
I agree.
Palaiologos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2002, 22:41   #3
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 09:12
if You have two armies in one field, it is extremly hard to choose the second one. How do You do that?

Select one and then click on the other's health bar. SHIFT+clicking adds/removes the other to selection. I don't remember if CTRL+clicking does anything.
Old December 24, 2002, 22:58   #4
Main_Brain
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Free Drones
King

Me too. Its somewhat better in HoI.

Answer to Question: You select One Armie and in the the Bottom of the left Main-Screen you can click on the other one(s)
The Bigger Army will always be selected First.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	hint.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	32496  
Old December 25, 2002, 15:44   #5
Main_Brain
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Free Drones
King

You may be Quicker but mine is With XTRA Colourful Images :P
Old December 26, 2002, 13:29   #6
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 09:12
Oh, yeah? Take this:

You have to click on the healthbars and not between them because that would probably end up selecting the province. The cursor changes when you hover over the healthbar, so that's not hard if you do it slowly.
Old January 2, 2003, 18:45   #7
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 06:12
Hereson: You can eliminate China in 2-3 wars if you use the turbo-annex strategy.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Oerdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2003, 16:43   #8
Heresson
Emperor

And what the hell is it?
Old January 3, 2003, 16:52   #9
Heresson
Emperor

Please explain it to me. Damn, I am angry i get to know about a lot of stuff AFTER I start the game, bah, after i end the game. i tend to miss some basics it seems.
Old January 3, 2003, 16:53   #10
Oerdin
Deity

Many people consider it an exploit but I just considered it understanding cause and effect. The first thing you have to know is that in EU2 if a countries government fails then it loses all territory occupied by states which are at war with it. It loses these proviences irreguardless of their number or even if it has CB shields on them or not. A shrude player will take advantage of this by setting up his enemies for a revolution while he occupies most of the country.

First a country can only have a revolution it stability is -3. So the key is to keep lowering your opponents stability by sending him peace offers (offers which you know he will decline) that are at least 11% under your victory percentage. Each time he declines the peace offer his stability will go down by one. Once he is at -3 let one his provience fall to rebels while you maintain control of the rest. The result? Your enemy will have only his capital and the one provience which the rebels held and you will have ownership of the rest.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old January 3, 2003, 16:54   #11
Oerdin
Deity

The down side is you will lose 3 reputation points for every provience taken in this manner. Still if you'r going after China then your at the end of the game and your so powerful that you no longer need to worry about your reputation.
Old January 3, 2003, 17:17   #12
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 14:12
Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin
So the key is to keep lowering your opponents stability by sending him peace offers (offers which you know he will decline) that are at least 11% under your victory percentage. Each time he declines the peace offer his stability will go down by one.
Didn't know that... How comes, that I don't lose stability if I decline the numerous peace offers I'm flooded with?
Harovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2003, 17:34   #13
Oerdin
Deity

The peace offer has to be 11% less then your opponenet's victory percentage. The computer almost always goes for the max it can get while a human on the other hand can be more devious with his peace proposals.
Old January 3, 2003, 20:02   #14
Heresson
Emperor

Some points;

1) Thanks!

2) I never care about reputation in any game. sometimes in
civ2, rarely, but never in EU2. The "entire world hates
You" thing is on for almost entire game.

3) I noticed that also, if You occupy the territory of a state
that is then anected by some other state, You get all that
You occupied, even the capital. That way, after a long
fight with other states and these too (it was really hard
thing one time, but I'll write about it in another thread)
I occupied entire Austria (with which I already fought several times) and entire Hungary. Austrians eventually agreed on a peace-treaty reducing them to Vienna.
But Hungarians didn't want to sign peace treaty. And then, they were anected by Austrians, which gave them all those 0 free provinces of theirs.

4)11less than victory percentage? What do You mean by that? I, almost always, continue the fight until I have
all the enemy occupied, or at least 99+ victory points.
Does it mean that I'll have to send them 88% (89%) proposition?
But they would probably accept that!!!
Old January 3, 2003, 21:55   #15
Oerdin
Deity

Exactly. Say you have 99% vicotry against country A and you send a peace proposal which is 88% but he declines your peace offer. That means he just lost one stability point and if you do it enough his government will fall with the next revolt.
Old January 4, 2003, 09:16   #16
Heresson
Emperor

thank You very much. that will surely help me during my next games. You are as invaluable (if that's the correct word) as always.