Old December 24, 2002, 22:20   #1
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 10:12
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Resolution!!!
i usually have my computer set to 800x600, but i recently changed it to 1024x768 to see what SMAC would look like that way. It was really great (the game must have been meant for it), but i find it a bit of a PIA to change resolutions before and after playing SMAC (i mean, i can do it, i'm just a bit lazy )

so, my question is: is there a way to get the resolution to change to and from 1024x768 when the game starts/ends? like in the .ini file, or something?
Old December 24, 2002, 23:40   #2
Petek
lifer
Prince

Local Time: 06:12
Add

Video Mode=1024

to your Alpha Centauri.ini file
Old December 25, 2002, 15:21   #3
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 16:12
800x600? How old is your computer? I can't even begin to imagine how small that is.
Old December 25, 2002, 15:23   #4
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Kassiopeia
800x600? How old is your computer? I can't even begin to imagine how small that is.
it's a P3 from 3 years ago...the thing with 1024x768 is that all the icons and stuff is too small
Old December 25, 2002, 15:30   #5
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 16:12
I have a P2 from four years ago, and SMAC works marvellously on 1024x768... I wondered why your screenshots in the SMACDG looked so odd. Doesn't that small a resolution mean you'll have to scroll the map all the time? Yikes. And if the icons on 1024 seem small, maybe you should try to sit closer to the screen or get glasses.
Old December 25, 2002, 19:22   #6
Method
Emperor

anyways, thanks petek.

i'm planning to change to 1024 for SMAC kass, so you won't have to worry about my screenshots anymore
Old December 27, 2002, 07:09   #7
Todd Hawks
Prince

Local Time: 14:12
Quote:
...the thing with 1024x768 is that all the icons and stuff is too small
Don't worry. You just aren't accustomed to it. I've been using 1200x960 for two years now and everything lower seems to be awfully large to me.
Old December 27, 2002, 15:15   #8
Method
Emperor

well i'm sure i would. it's not an issue anymore, since petek got it right on it'll switch to and from 1024 just for smac now
Old December 28, 2002, 09:29   #9
Clear Skies
Prince

Local Time: 13:12
And here was me thinking that this was a SMAC New Year's Resolution thread...what a disappointment!
"Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman
Old December 28, 2002, 12:53   #10
MariOne
King

Local Time: 15:12
TKG, you ought to be informed tho, that, thanks to FurXs© never praised enough, incomparable, incommensurable and ever progressive programming skills, if you were used to 800x600, you'll find something missing at 1024:
in the facilities listing at top right inside the basewindow, they could not manage to WRAP (!) long lines, or eventually shrink that text, but opted for a simpler, no-frills.... truncation!
Thus, you will no more see there the (linked) tag near a linked node. See many old threads to know how to "investigate and deduce" with alternate means the linked status of nodes (other than switching to blocky 800x600, that is).
Nor you'll see the complete names for Projects and long facilities. You will have to content to know to have built:
The Merchant
The Human
Bioenhancement
The Rolling Eyes
I'm always happy when someone makes me think of this wonderful feature FurXs© gifted us. Whhoooppppeee!
Old December 29, 2002, 05:20   #11
spartak
King

Old December 29, 2002, 16:52   #12
Clear Skies
Prince

God, MariOne, if you're going to be this bitter why don't you just stop playing the damn game?
"Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman
Old December 29, 2002, 17:44   #13
Hercules
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansC4DG VoxC4WDG éirich tuireannC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsACDG PeaceACDG3 Data Angels
Deity

Local Time: 14:12
My resolution is to avoid threads with the word resolution. 1024x768 and out.
Old December 29, 2002, 20:56   #14
Method
Emperor

sorry to have disappointed you CS

and hercules....your post confuses me. you claim to be avoiding threads about resolution, yet you post in one?
i just don't understand it with you: why is everything i do so wrong?
Old January 6, 2003, 04:19   #15
Raion
Prince

You do have the zoom controls in the game, but I like 1024 x 768 since my monitor is bigger. Also make the font smaller in the Alpha Centauri.Ini file.

Just got it working from the CPU not supported thing. Added that one line, works better than before.

Just a hair almost too fast. But fun!!

Keys Z and X zoom in and out the map!!
Old January 8, 2003, 14:18   #16
Alex
Emperor

Once I posted a thread here saying that I was playing SMAC using 800x600 resolution and I was mercilessly flamed.
MariOne is right (as usual ): the 1024 res will not display the "(linked)" info after the NN in the base screen. Really sad. I usually stick with the "go-to" command to find out which base has a linked node or not.
But my problem remains: my monitor is an old 15" piece of crap, and I just can't buy another one right now. So I play SMAC with 1024 res, but my eyes suffer.