Old December 24, 2002, 22:59   #1
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 13:13
Local Date: November 1, 2010
War and Peace
Has anyone heard of this game, played it, or anything? Sounds pretty intruiging to me but I have not heard a thing about it. It's from the same makers as Warrior Kings - another game that no one ever noticed, but was quite unique and tried some really interesting new aproaches and concepts. (Unfortunetly, their games have quite high computer requirements and Warrior Kings did not run while on my computer)

The "back of the box" description:

Quote:
War and Peace is a revolutionary game in the RTS genre. For the first time, players will really be
in charge of the entire strategy of their nations: politics, economy, diplomacy, army, tactics, etc.
On a unique, full 3D map of the entire world, you'll be able to take full commands of your nation
in a true historical context. You will discover and enjoy the experience of being a major statesman
at the dawn of the fascinating 19th century!

A page on the developer's website: http://www.microids.com/english/microids.html

and the game's official website, which is apparently only in french: http://www.warandpeace-game.com/ (although the game is available in english, I believe)

Do It Ourselves
Old December 26, 2002, 13:39   #2
PCRefugee
Chieftain

Local Time: 13:13
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I bought it on a whim. I don't normally play RTS but the idea that somebody could simulate the Napoleonic wars in this fashion kind of intrigued me. First impressions are not good. Graphically, it's pretty basic 3D terrain but the unit size is somewhere between miniscule and microscopic (or perhaps I just need glasses!). I've just loaded it and played around with it and haven't even had time to read the manual yet but the basic premise seems to be the same as most other in the genre: raise an army or two, go capture a city....build farms to increase population etc.
Also, I didn't find the interface all that friendly(I spent half an hour trying to zoom in on my troops).
As I said, this is a first impression and it might have hidden depths and I might be overly harsh but it all looks pretty humdrum to me