Old December 25, 2002, 17:07   #1
Chronus
Prince

Local Time: 13:14
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Cunning Conquistadors
Anyone having as much fun with these units as I am?

I was at war with the Arabs and managed to land a couple of my conquistadors onto their continent protected by a musketman (on a mountain). As you probably guessed, my next turn, I zipped them over to their only sources of saltpeter and diamonds and pillaged them. I lost my units on his turn, of course, but my opponent was suddenly open to peace, and paid a fairly large chunk of my demands. The following turn, I was able to sell them saltpeter at a nice, lucrative price (they were still at war with the Ottomans).
Old December 25, 2002, 17:55   #2
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 14:14
I havent tried them yet but that sounds devilishly devious

Myself I find the new guerilla unit great fun but Ill definitely give these guys a try.
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old December 25, 2002, 17:57   #3
ZargonX
PtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 MorganC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy GameApolyCon 06 ParticipantsBtS Tri-LeagueApolyton UniversityPtWDG2 TabemonoC4WDG Huygen's Union
Emperor

Local Time: 09:14
Yes, Conqs are great behind-the-lines sabateurs. A few of those guys can shred a resource network to pieces pretty quickly. They also make good hit-and-run troops for attacking slower stacks beyond your borders.
Old December 26, 2002, 03:21   #4
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Local Time: 08:14
I usually keep them stacked. Although ai has been tweaked they still fear the mighty stacks a little bit and stack of conqs can defend quite well, so its free pillage w/o losing a unit most of the time.