Old December 26, 2002, 04:18   #1
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Local Time: 08:15
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Civ-Specific Strategy: English
Does anyone have a viable strategy for the english? I personally cant see the comercial and expansionitic working well toegether and the UU isnt so great either. Got any ideas to turn this unattractive civ into a powerhouse nation in game?
Old December 26, 2002, 11:36   #2
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

i only played the english once, on a map of europe

i guess the cheap harbors / granaries would make for some b*tchin' early growth if used properly.

i really just loathe the expansionistic trait myself.
Old December 26, 2002, 12:51   #3
DaveMcW
Prince

Well, you're certainly not playing the English for their UU!

Expansionist works best on larger maps, where there are enough huts to get you a large gold/tech lead early on. Commercial gives 25% less corruption in the industrial and modern ages, allowing your large map civ to become even larger.

The one competition I think the English could win at is most gold by the end of a game.
Old December 26, 2002, 22:19   #4
Pyrodrew
Prince

Local Time: 05:15
English UU becomes obsolete too quick. Commercial is better on larger maps, but unlike other traits, Commercial you cannot use... it just happens. So, see Aeson's Expansionist Thread & use the Expansionist trait as best you can.
Old December 27, 2002, 01:36   #5
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 09:15
I played the English once for the Expansionism AU (forgot the course number...): I was not impressed, but was also pleasantly surprised to see that they're not horrible.

As mentioned above, the English are good at two things: 1) sprawling empires across a large land mass, and 2) making money. The first obviously feeds into the second, to some extent. England's two traits are somewhat synergistic: Expansionist can get you off to a fast start city-wise, and then Commercial steps in and takes over for the long haul. The real problem is that the English are not very good if they do not start on a big continent (quite "unrealistic" as it were). Thus, they are probably the most "situational" civ, and thus the poorest overall.

The UU doesn't help. It is quite easy for the English to trigger a GA through Wonders, so that use of their UU is inconsequential. Given that the English are only good on large continents (from above), a naval UU is also inconsequential. Finally, to add insult to injury, the Man'O-War's bonus stats are really not that impressive compared the standard Frigate. It would have been cool to make the English UU an Industrial age Fighter replacement, but comments like that belong in the General forum.

Dominae
Old December 27, 2002, 09:14   #6
ducki
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 07:15
Quote:
Originally posted by Dominae
The UU doesn't help. It is quite easy for the English to trigger a GA through Wonders, so that use of their UU is inconsequential...

Dominae
I found this a tiny bit interesting.
IIRC, you feel the Americans are a serious "powerhouse" civ, though they have the same UU problem and must also trigger the GA with Wonders.

Do you find that the difference between Industrious and Commercial is the reason for the difference between "not horrible" and "powerhouse"?
Or could the culture linking be more important here than normally?

Not trying to start anything, just curious.
I'm a big fan of Commercial, though usually only when paired with Industrious.
Also, I tend to start my GAs with Wonders whenever possible. I prefer to get the Wonders, knowing I'll use my GA, than to hold off on it for UU-timing.
I also don't play at your level, which probably makes a big difference in the importance of the UU-triggered GA.
Anyway, I'm wondering what makes the Americans a killer civ and the Engilsh merely not horrible.
Old December 27, 2002, 13:59   #7
justjake73
Prince

I have been trying to decide on whether to start a game as an expansionistic civ because I get a lot of early tech from goody huts, and I want to avoid barbarians. I have been leaning towards the English because of their Commercial trait, but their UU (as it has been said in this thread) isn't really useful. What do people think of the Russians as opposed to the English? What about the Americans?
Old December 27, 2002, 15:22   #8
ducki
King

If you check out "Civ Specific Strategy: America" you'll find that some here think America is very very strong.

Personally, if I were going to try out Expansionist, I'd probably go for Arabs (Religious) or America(Industrious).

Also, people seem to like Arabia due to the UU - Sipahi, a cheap Knight level unit with one less defense.
(EDIT: Ansar Warrior, not Sipahi. Sipahi are the extra-strength Cav UU for the Ottomans.)

There's a "Civ-specific Strategy: Arabs" also, though not as fleshed out as America.

Edit2 - The America thread - http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=70559

Last edited by ducki; December 27, 2002 at 15:34.
Old December 27, 2002, 15:50   #9
Dominae
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by ducki

I found this a tiny bit interesting.
IIRC, you feel the Americans are a serious "powerhouse" civ, though they have the same UU problem and must also trigger the GA with Wonders.

Do you find that the difference between Industrious and Commercial is the reason for the difference between "not horrible" and "powerhouse"?
Basically yes. But, there is a lot to be said for the "simple" difference of one civ being Industrious and one civ being Commercial. One, many people will rank Commercial at the bottom of the trait list, and Industrious at the top. Two, Industrious/Expansionist is highly synergistic especially early on, while Commercial/Expansionist requires a very specific map to be effective (and even then there's nothing to write home about). Third, although I've never used the F-15, I can imagine it being quite a bit more useful than the Man'O-War, simply because the Fighter is a more useful unit than the Frigate. Fourth, the Americans trigger GAs with Wonders more easily because they're Industrious (faster builds, on average).

Oh, and if you're trying to start a fight ducki, use the appropriate emoticons:

Dominae

P.S:
Old December 27, 2002, 15:52   #10
justjake73
Prince

ah - ok, I searched for threads with traits and expansionistic, but didn't notice this was the PTW forum. I don't have PTW, so the Arabs are out, but thanks, I'll check out the thread.
Old December 27, 2002, 16:31   #11
ducki
King

No, no. Not trying to start a fight.
Trying to connect the dots and learn more about Expansionist.

Since I like Industrious, I also like Commercial, but usually only as France(or Carthage, but prefer France).

Industrious is number 1 in my book, _except_ for when I'm Militaristic, in which case, I prefer Mil/Rel to Mil/Ind. Or maybe I just prefer Japan to China.

Anyway, I guess it seems like I take you to task more often than not Dominae. I apologize if it seemed confrontational, I just wanted to reconcile your opinions of two (in my mind) similar Civs.

Old December 27, 2002, 21:48   #12
Dominae
Emperor

Don't worry ducki, I'm pretty sure you're being confrontational to force me to clarify my opinions, which is a good thing; criticism is a wonderful source of knowledge (for me and for you).

Although I never thought of it this way, I suppose the Americans and the English are quite similar. The major difference is just that the Amercians are way better, IMO.

Dominae
Old December 28, 2002, 03:34   #13
High_Lord
Chieftain

I tried France out a couple of times...first time every AI hated me and kicked my butt ...second time (current game) every AI hates me and I am kicking their butts!!

Thanks,Apolyton Strateegery Forum

Oh this thread was about ENGLAND ....
Old December 29, 2002, 16:44   #14
SanPellegrino
Civilization III PBEM
Warlord

Local Time: 13:15
Quote:
Given that the English are only good on large continents (from above), a naval UU is also inconsequential. Finally, to add insult to injury, the Man'O-War's bonus stats are really not that impressive compared the standard Frigate.

Dominae
I don't think so, england is the only civ starting with alphabet and pottery, so they got a good chance for the lighthouse. They fare better than others starting on an island and on a pure archipelago map, they got a huge advantage IMHO. Ok the ManOWar is of little use, but I think only because ironclads come directly after.
Old December 29, 2002, 20:38   #15
Dominae
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by SanPellegrino
I don't think so, england is the only civ starting with alphabet and pottery, so they got a good chance for the lighthouse. They fare better than others starting on an island and on a pure archipelago map, they got a huge advantage IMHO.
Good point. Unfortunately, England's two traits do not support this strategy: putting Scouts on boats is not the best use of resources, and even the Commercial trait doesn't help cross-island Corruption (in most cases). Although England probably has the best chance at the Great Lighthouse, it needs to rely on this bonus alone to win on Archipelago maps. It seems that England is a very situational civ, since it is only "good" at opposite ends of the spectrum (archipelago and large continents). IMO, it doesn't even excel in either of these situations.

Dominae
Old December 30, 2002, 10:52   #16
yxhuvud
Chieftain

Local Time: 14:15
> Fourth, the Americans trigger GAs with Wonders more easily because they're Industrious (faster builds, on average).

Not as simple as you put it here. From the middle ages and on, your developed cities in a commercial civ should produce about the same amount as an industrial civ. It is reduced corruption vs bonus production (btw, does anyone know if the bonus production/trade is subject to corruption?).

And as you build your wonders in your developed cities, it shouldn't matter that the cities not as developed produces a little less.

Of course, I do belong in the small group of people that actually ranks commercial quite high, I feel that my empire produces so much more than it would have otherwise

Have anyone did a study comparing two identical civs, one commercial and one something else (no industrial), on identical maps, just to see just how much more *production* and money the commercial civ gets, on different sizes of the civ (say, up till OCN*2 or something similar)
Old December 30, 2002, 14:46   #17
Dominae
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by yxhuvud
> Fourth, the Americans trigger GAs with Wonders more easily
> because they're Industrious (faster builds, on average).

Not as simple as you put it here. From the middle ages and on, your developed cities in a commercial civ should produce about the same amount as an industrial civ. It is reduced corruption vs bonus production (btw, does anyone know if the bonus production/trade is subject to corruption?).
Industrious Workers allow tile improvements to be laid down faster. This in turn leads to earlier completion of infrastructure in Wonder cities (Temples, Aqueducts, etc.). So, on average, Industrious civs should be able to commence (and therefore complete) Wonder builds before non-Industrious ones. The extra production is just icing on the cake.

Quote:
And as you build your wonders in your developed cities, it shouldn't matter that the cities not as developed produces a little less.
Precisely. The reduced Corruption effect of Commercial civs does not really come into play for Wonder-building, because Wonders are typically built in core cities, where Corruption is low in the first place.

Dominae
Old December 30, 2002, 15:19   #18
SanPellegrino
Civilization III PBEM
Warlord

Local Time: 13:15
Quote:

It seems that England is a very situational civ, since it is only "good" at opposite ends of the spectrum (archipelago and large continents). IMO, it doesn't even excel in either of these situations.

Dominae
You're right, England isn't my favorite either (nor anyones, what I read here), but I think they are better as most people think. In one game I had a really bad starting location, but managed to clear all the huts from those little islands around, which gave me a big tech lead and lay fundament for my later victory.

Which shows you're right about the "opposite ends of the spectrum", I think England is a very "extreme" civ.
Old December 30, 2002, 17:10   #19
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Well, the price of the English building the Great Light House will be an early GA. (Perhaps too early.)

The English would also get a GA by building the Collosus. (Much too early unless being trigered just to build more wonders.)

In my own game, I moded the Frigate so that it can't bombard while the Man of War still can. But neither is useful due to Iron Clads being right around the corner.

Comerical won't help much over coming the corruption and waste from unconnected cities. Basically, the OCN is 25% higher for Commerical civs than non-commerical.

Quote:
Originally posted by SanPellegrino

I don't think so, england is the only civ starting with alphabet and pottery, so they got a good chance for the lighthouse. They fare better than others starting on an island and on a pure archipelago map, they got a huge advantage IMHO. Ok the ManOWar is of little use, but I think only because ironclads come directly after.
Old December 30, 2002, 17:39   #20
yxhuvud
Chieftain

Local Time: 14:15
> infrastructure in Wonder cities (Temples, Aqueducts, etc.). So, on average, Industrious civs should be able to commence (and therefore complete) Wonder builds before

Yes, I realize that. That is why I added the clause that it was from the middle ages and on. That industrious beats commercial productionwise in the ancient age is kinda obvious.

> The reduced Corruption effect of Commercial civs does not really come into play for Wonder-building, because Wonders are typically built in core cities, where Corruption is low in the first place.

In one way your reasoning wokrs, but on the other hand, the core in a commercial civ is bigger than a core in a noncommercial civ, meaning there is more cities in it, which leads to higher chance of having a city with really good production in the core.
Old December 30, 2002, 18:15   #21
Dominae
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by yxhuvud
Yes, I realize that. That is why I added the clause that it was from the middle ages and on. That industrious beats commercial productionwise in the ancient age is kinda obvious.
What you seem to be saying is that, in the Medieval age, when city size is maxed out and all relevant tile and city improvements are in place, there is not much difference between the Wonder-producing abilites of Industrious and Commercial civs. This is certainly obvious, but Industrious still wins out because of the extra production in Cities and Metros.

Quote:
In one way your reasoning wokrs, but on the other hand, the core in a commercial civ is bigger than a core in a noncommercial civ, meaning there is more cities in it, which leads to higher chance of having a city with really good production in the core.
With a Palace core and a FP core, there is usually an abundance of productive cities that are good candidates for Wonder-building (although never enough for unit-building, it seems!). There are simply not that many Wonders available at a particular time. In my experience, Commercial civs do not grab Wonders more easily because they have a larger number productive cities.

Dominae
Old December 31, 2002, 12:16   #22
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

The +1 Industrious production per Metro is usally meaningless for wonders, but Commerical doesn't usually help wonders either because Great Wonders are almost always built either in a Palace / Forbiden Palace or else a city adjoining it which is too close for the increased OCN for Commerical civs to have any effect.

The reason Industrious civs get wonders faster than non-industrious is because the public works is 2X as fast for industrious civs, so the mines & rail road are fully built for the current size work force before the Great Wonder starts, while the non-industrious civs are often playing catch up.

Commercial civs are more likely to have an advantage on building Small Wonders & Factories in core areas that are far enough away for the Commerical traight to have noticieable effects.