Old December 26, 2002, 12:53   #1
mazzz
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

Local Time: 13:16
Local Date: November 1, 2010
In civ4
I know this has been asked 10000000000s of times and thios will probaly be deleted, but oh well...

What do you want in civ4?

1.More difficult to develep nuclear bombs, it should be a harder tech to obtaion, and civs who alreeadly have can put sactions on you, You there should be treatly of non-selling it.

2.Trade cites! but if you cheatby retaking it then the world distrusts you.

3.BETTTER EDITOR

4.Not nessarily more civs but better more detailed ones...

5.More Allinces, pacts,deals,triple allinces, union of many civs...
Old December 26, 2002, 13:59   #2
anzor
Settler

Well, wouldn't it be better if they included those things in a patch for Civ3?
Old December 26, 2002, 17:10   #3
zulu9812
King

what on earth makes you think those things should even be in a patch? patches are supposed to fix bugs in what is already there, not introduce new features or additional gameplay
I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up
Old December 26, 2002, 17:20   #4
anzor
Settler

Supposed maybe, but most of the patches for games today actually improves the game and etc.

By the way: Why shouldn't they improve the game with patches?
Old December 26, 2002, 20:12   #5
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 06:16
Quote:
Originally posted by anzor

By the way: Why shouldn't they improve the game with patches?
Because they won't make any money that way! Like it or not, game companies exist in order to make money. No profits, no games. It would be great if they could just produce something for the hell of it, but unfortunately life doesn't work that way.
Old December 26, 2002, 20:57   #6
vee4473
King

Local Time: 08:16
Re: In civ4
Quote:
You there should be treatly of non-selling it.

what?
Old December 26, 2002, 21:55   #7
mazzz
Warlord

there should be a treaty between nuclear nations saying they will not sell the tech for nukes
Old December 26, 2002, 22:40   #8
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 06:16
Quote:
Originally posted by mazzz
there should be a treaty between nuclear nations saying they will not sell the tech for nukes
In PTW, you can now make the Manhattan wonder a small wonder, so everyone has to build their own.
Old December 27, 2002, 01:09   #9
peterfharris
GalCiv Apolyton Empire
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by zulu9812
what on earth makes you think those things should even be in a patch? patches are supposed to fix bugs in what is already there, not introduce new features or additional gameplay
Yes. New features and additional gameplay means "expansion pack" which they could sell for $$$$ rather than give away as a patch. (Umh, I would look favourably at a Civ3 expansion pack if/when they bring one out).
Old December 27, 2002, 01:26   #10
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Yep. [Troll] Infogrames is a great example of how far gaming companies have fallen. Releasing things that really should have been in the first game as an expansion pack, and not even completing it out of the box....Thats lame. Especially for the 'quality' of PtW. [/Troll]

Old December 27, 2002, 07:37   #11
arslankhan
Chieftain

I would like to see them handle the passage of time differently. Less time should pass between turns. I seem to race through the ancient periods too quickly. I want to spend more time playing around with horses and less with Modern Armor. The ancient units should have more upgrades. Catapult type weapons for example had a long evolution and got better over the course of 2000 years, before gunpowder.
Old December 27, 2002, 08:08   #12
Ozymandias
Prince

Local Time: 09:16
Quote:
Originally posted by Willem

In PTW, you can now make the Manhattan wonder a small wonder, so everyone has to build their own.
?? - I thought this didn't work -- despite creating it as a small wonder, the first one completed makes nukes available to one and all?

-Oz
... And on the pedestal these words appear: "My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!" Nothing beside remains. Round the decay of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare, the lone and level sands stretch far away ...
Old December 27, 2002, 11:13   #13
Argos65987
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by arslankhan
I would like to see them handle the passage of time differently. Less time should pass between turns. I seem to race through the ancient periods too quickly. I want to spend more time playing around with horses and less with Modern Armor.
In the editor, you can change the amount of time that passes on turns in different ages. You can also increase the minimum time to reach a new technology, which would stretch out the ancient/mideval ages. Also, you could move the ability to trade communications with other civs to another tech besides writing, which would slow down the AI tech trading.
Old December 27, 2002, 12:30   #14
MattH
King

The only idea I really agree with is more treaties. What more do you need in the editor? Nukes can be made harder to get by increasing build times, reasources needed, tech time, etc. The DYP mod will strech out the game. Also... what should be done for making the civs more detailed? This is actually why I love CIVIII... if you want something, you don't have to wait for an expansion. You can do it yourself.
Old December 27, 2002, 12:32   #15
anzor
Settler

Creating good scenarios is a problem...
Old December 27, 2002, 12:32   #16
WarpStorm
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Ozymandias
?? - I thought this didn't work -- despite creating it as a small wonder, the first one completed makes nukes available to one and all?
It's been fixed.
Old December 27, 2002, 12:37   #17
WarpStorm
King

Quote:
Originally posted by anzor
Creating good scenarios is a problem...
Yeah, it takes skill, imagination, and determination.

There are 2 things that would be needed in the editor to make some specialized scenarios. A diplomacy editing capability and an ability to set trigger events.
Old December 27, 2002, 12:38   #18
arslankhan
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Argos65987

In the editor, you can change the amount of time that passes on turns in different ages. You can also increase the minimum time to reach a new technology, which would stretch out the ancient/mideval ages. Also, you could move the ability to trade communications with other civs to another tech besides writing, which would slow down the AI tech trading.
Ok Im looking at General Settings tab in the editor but I feel like Im looking at the cockpit of an F-16. Where exactly would I change the passage of time, etc.?
Old December 27, 2002, 12:40   #19
WarpStorm
King

Quote:
Originally posted by arslankhan
Ok Im looking at General Settings tab in the editor but I feel like Im looking at the cockpit of an F-16. Where exactly would I change the passage of time, etc.?
It's not on that tab. It's on the scenario properties tab.
Old December 27, 2002, 12:40   #20
MattH
King

Oops, yeah... I totally forgot about those.
Old December 27, 2002, 12:44   #21
WarpStorm
King

But those are only needed for a shorter term game that models a particular war. For the more general game where you allow countries to decide their own destiny, they aren't usually needed (although they'd be nice to have, just in case).
Old December 27, 2002, 14:58   #22
Ozymandias
Prince

Yeah, you've probably heard this from me before ...
Two (combined) unit / tile items:

1. Put Rivers back INSIDE tiles! -- Their initial implementation ("natural roads") in Civ I & II might have been imperfect, but rivers have been critical routes for warcraft and transport since ancient times. Examples: the Vikings raiding Paris by sailing up the Seine; nearly every battle along the Mississippi in the ACW; the relief of Khartoum; "river rats" in Vietnam.

2. This requires (oh, please!!) adding the ability to limit a unit's movement to ONE type of land terrain / overlay.

More very good reasons for doing this:

1. Aside from allowing riverines, for RRs this would allow armored trains (absolutely critical for modding wars in Eurasia from the Russo-Polish war through WW2), and "Big Bertha" style (and other siege) guns. Also, IIRC, the 1980s saw all sorts of US & Soviet plans to keep ICBMs shuttling hither and yon on RR cars -- thereby making them essentially impossible to target at the time.

2. Also little known was the USN use of HOVERCRAFT in the swamps of the Mekong delta during the Vietnam war -- rude surprise for the VC who thought themselves in effectively impenetrable terrain.

3. Simple realism -- (a) most large river cities invariably occupy both banks of a river and (b) the extent of floodplains is grossly overstated by having them adjacent to river tile-sides.

Pre-bridge-building, the penalty for moving into a cityless river tile would be as extreme as the system allows -- immediate end of movement.

For combat, rather than a defensive advantage for being attacked across a river, an offensive PENALTY for attacking FROM a river.

... Why did they ever change to tile-sides in the first place???

Fervently & All That,

Oz
... And on the pedestal these words appear: "My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!" Nothing beside remains. Round the decay of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare, the lone and level sands stretch far away ...
Old December 27, 2002, 19:47   #23
Quasar1011
Warlord

I would like to see some things in Civ 4, brought back from Civ 2, including:
1) the farmland-supermarket system of Civ 2. Why go to the trouble of making a game with terrific graphics, if you have build railroads on every tile to increase food/shields?
2) the ability to irrigate hills, as per Civ 2. Terraced hills would look pretty cool
3) the ability of battleships to attack more than once. Or can this be modded in Civ3?
Old December 27, 2002, 19:59   #24
Kuciwalker
Deity

EVENTS

MORE EVENTS

EVEN MORE EVENTS

'nuff said
Old December 28, 2002, 08:34   #25
Omegalink
Civilization IV: Multiplayer
Settler

Local Time: 14:16
in civ4 i would like the diplomacy like the one in Alpha Centurai, ALOT more options there..
Old December 28, 2002, 10:29   #26
arslankhan
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by WarpStorm

It's not on that tab. It's on the scenario properties tab.
Thanks, got it now!
Old December 28, 2002, 14:08   #27
Drachen
Prince

After the pounding PTW has received from the majority of reviewers I think the next Civ is going to have to have major additions to bring it back to the dizzying heights from which it fell. I expect that multiplayer will be much improved by patches over time and that minor improvements such as “bombard stack to red” will probably be a gimmie.

Therefore, I would spend my hard earned cash on the following. Expansion type 1. Additional tribes, units, ages, wonders, and tech (more of what you know and love is always welcome just as it was for me in PTW.) Expansion type 2; the addition and integration of a gaming engine to allow me to enter a city, a tile etc. and control my units in a first person shooter style as “Mech Warriors” for instance. Expansion type 3; the addition and integration of a gaming engine to allow me to control my battles in an “Age of Empires” like real time format. Expansion type 4; an engine to allow me to conduct my Great Leaders to safety in a “No One Lives Forever 2” like way. If someone doesn’t want to have these feature then just don’t buy the expansions.

I have no doubt that these types of integrations would be difficult to include and might interfere with game flow, etc. but I sure would like the option!

Cheers