Old December 26, 2002, 19:49   #31
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Local Time: 13:16
Local Date: November 1, 2010
While the Commonwealth of Akiria would not take away somebodies right to protest, the damaging of property will not be tolerated. Please keep all protests peaceful (or we will do it for you )

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old December 26, 2002, 19:55   #32
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 15:16
Quote:
The Issue
Cheap, foreign-made cars are becoming increasingly popular, causing concern in Jedinica Vrijstaat's automobile manufacturing industry.

The Debate
"Unless this government does something, Jedinica Vrijstaat won't have an auto industry for much longer," says auto industry union boss Chastity Summers, in a rare public appearance alongside management. "These foreign companies employ people for a few concordians a day. The only way to level the playing field is to raise tariffs. The government would make more money, too, so it's win-win."

This is the position your government is preparing to adopt.

"For once, I agree with my grubby colleague here," says General Chassis CEO Freddy Mistletoe. "Although I have to say, tariffs aren't the only answer. A more effective solution would be to abolish minimum wage laws. Now that would level the playing field. And we'd be able to employ more--argh, let go of my throat!"
[Accept]

"I think we need to face facts," says noted economist and chat-show regular Billy Licorish. "We live in a global economy now, and automobile manufacturing just isn't Jedinica Vrijstaat's strong suit. There's no point taking money from taxpayers in order to line the pockets of a few greedy workers and corrupt managers in a doomed industry. Let the market takes its--argh, let go of my throat!"
[Accept]
As I believe in equal competition (not at all the same as free trade) and as I don't want corporations to compete about the wages for their employers, I decided to pass some protectorionist laws: Solution 1. That should teach those foreign companies.

Anyway, my previous issue was about surveillance cameras on public places. One libertarian was against them as they violated privacy, one police officer was in favour of them, and a third was against cameras, but in favour of giving every citizen an ID card. I saw nothing wrong with ID cards - every decent country has them - so I chose that option. Now I've become a corporate police state. Before that I was a capitalist paradise. Simply because, in that political test, I agreed corporations do more good than harm (I'm not a communist), and I disagreed capitalism was on the way back (It's still gaining ground in the real world).
Old December 26, 2002, 20:02   #33
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Local Time: 08:16
my legislation is still pending, the default was one issue per day, i went and changed it to two issues per day
Old December 26, 2002, 20:07   #34
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness

Hmmmm... ID cards to stink of 1984 to me, and it says you barcoded all citizens I strongly advise against your position of tariffs, as if you continue to harm the exports of Akiria, we will impose tariffs upon Jedinician Uranium and Cheese.

Old December 26, 2002, 20:09   #35
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 23:16
I dismissed the Harry Potter issue because I couldn't care less, but now I'm impatient for new issues!
Old December 26, 2002, 20:14   #36
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 00:16
Local Date: November 2, 2010
My first issue was public nudity, which I permitted but didn't require, and my second one (legislation pending) was about a Neo-Nazi rally, which I banned.
Old December 26, 2002, 20:19   #37
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Quote:
it says you barcoded all citizens
Err... a little bureaucratic mistake. I'll try to fix it as soon as possible.

Quote:
I strongly advise against your position of tariffs, as if you continue to harm the exports of Akiria, we will impose tariffs upon Jedinician Uranium and Cheese.
Ha! You wouldn't dare risk a trade war against me! Your Developing economy wouldn't stand against my Very Strong economy. Only if you increase the minimum wage and give your labourers more than a few roses or concordians a day, I might consider stopping the pending tariff laws.
Old December 26, 2002, 20:31   #38
Drogue
staff

I can agree to a small minimum wage increase, however I do not wish to stifle business in this early stage, so can do no more. A trade war, considering I have just recieved 2 contracts, worth a total of 22,000,000 Akirian Roses (or 11,000,000 gold coins), including one for the International Space Station, I am in a relatively strong position. Your economy may be strong, but your people are oppressed, and your arms are outdated. Give in, and you're economy might stay that way

On a lighter note, I wholeheartedly commend the honourable representative of Centralis on his nudity stance. May we all learn to be truly free

Old December 26, 2002, 20:40   #39
aahz_capone
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesApolyton UniversityDiplomacy
Prince

Local Time: 14:16
Quote:
Originally posted by Osweld

Undemocratic? What could be more democratic then people taking matters into their own hands and waging war on the evil corporations that exploit the earth and oppress the people! Your willingness to help corporations is truelly disturbing!

I say to all citizens of the Imperial Republics: Come to the Free lands of Ubinia, where you will be safe of prosecution, and ecuraged to take arms against the evil corporations and those who would harbour them!
Writing to your congress man is democratic. May I stress that the "people taking matters into their own hands" were a small anarchic minority bent on undermining civilized life in a nation that already has very good political freedoms. They choose to abuse they rights through violence and thus get prison sentences. It's not like I'm killing them off. yet...

If you continue you shameless anti-corporate propaganda in my territories and promote violence I will be forced to take measures in the international communtiy.
Old December 26, 2002, 20:52   #40
Maniac

Jedinica Vrijstaat is always willing to supply both parties weapons should they decide to take measures in the international community.
Old December 26, 2002, 20:55   #41
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by aahz_capone

Writing to your congress man is democratic. May I stress that the "people taking matters into their own hands" were a small anarchic minority bent on undermining civilized life in a nation that already has very good political freedoms. They choose to abuse they rights through violence and thus get prison sentences. It's not like I'm killing them off. yet...

If you continue you shameless anti-corporate propaganda in my territories and promote violence I will be forced to take measures in the international communtiy.
Yes, you would like it if they complained to their "congress man" wouldn't you, so that you could easily ignore them! It is quite obvious you are merely a lap-dog of corporations, willing turn a blind eye to their evils and help them opress the people.

Ubinia will continue to provide a safe haven for any prosecuted activists of the Imperial Republics, and supply throwing-stones and hitting-sticks to any who are willing to fight the evils of corporation.

Do It Ourselves
Old December 26, 2002, 21:09   #42
Drogue
staff

Please, gentlemen, some common sense. There is no need for violence. We must remain calm and civil if we are to get anywhere. As for the esteemed member from Jedinicia Vrijstaat, I must insist that you cease and desist in your warmongering. It is not becoming of you.

Old December 26, 2002, 21:12   #43
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

I believe it must be said that the Jedinican delegate has expressed no desire for war, merely a readiness to supply nations involved in it.
Old December 26, 2002, 21:14   #44
Maniac

Hmm yes I admit I'm not myself tonight. Due to recent government reforms I am reduced to a mere pawn in the hands of the arms and oil industry, and must do what they say. That's unfortunately what happens in a corporate dictatorship...
Old December 26, 2002, 21:17   #45
Drogue
staff

The please, impose economic regulations at once

Old December 26, 2002, 21:21   #46
Maniac

I'd love to, unfortunately the corporate-controlled parliament hasn't put forward a proposal yet to do so. In any case, I hope I can get rid of the UN label "corporate dictatorship" before the end of this parlemental year.
Old December 26, 2002, 21:22   #47
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Drogue
Please, gentlemen, some common sense. There is no need for violence. We must remain calm and civil if we are to get anywhere. As for the esteemed member from Jedinicia Vrijstaat, I must insist that you cease and desist in your warmongering. It is not becoming of you.
I have no intentions of causing violence, I merely wish to help the enslaved people the Imperial Republics. If that means supplying their activists with throwing-stones, then so be it!

Do It Ourselves
Old December 26, 2002, 21:34   #48
Drogue
staff

Quote:
I have no intentions of causing violence, I merely wish to help the enslaved people the Imperial Republics. If that means supplying their activists with throwing-stones, then so be it!
Will you not join us in the quest for non-violent protest? Let us stop throwing stones and pick up a pen. If you stop supplying the activists with weapons, and start protesting peacefully, not only will you be taken more seriously, and have more clout, Akiria will support you and create measures ensuring the right to protest in our land.

Old December 26, 2002, 21:50   #49
aahz_capone
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesApolyton UniversityDiplomacy
Prince

Quote:

Will you not join us in the quest for non-violent protest? Let us stop throwing stones and pick up a pen. If you stop supplying the activists with weapons, and start protesting peacefully, not only will you be taken more seriously, and have more clout, Akiria will support you and create measures ensuring the right to protest in our land.
I am grateful that other nations realize my contempt for violent protesters.

I also resent being my people being called the "enslaved people the Imperial Republics". This is nothing but a savage lie. The UN has stated the poilitcal freedoms of the Imperial Republics as good, and they have average civil rights. Should you really wish to take a "holier than thou" stand, Head of State Osweld, there are numerous nations with below average civil righst and political freedoms.

These accusations are groundless and made to undermine my strong economy. I ask the international community for a ruling and extend the hand of freindship to Ubinia if it will cease and desist with it's destructive propoganda immediately.
Old December 26, 2002, 21:56   #50
Drogue
staff

Shall I create a thread for judges for our region, in the case of an international, but outside the UN, dispute? I would like to have 3, so if more than 3 rulers would like to be judges, we'll poll and elect them? Good or bad idea?

Old December 26, 2002, 21:56   #51
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:

You are right, peaceful protest would be ideal - but when the FIR jails activists for destroying the institutions of corporation, they are left no choice but to take up arms against their oppressors.

However, I see the wisdom in Akiria's advice, and propose a compromise: if the FIR will agree to release atleast half of the imprisoned activists, Ubinia will agree to stop supplying the activists with throwing stones.

Do It Ourselves
Old December 26, 2002, 21:59   #52
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

Quote:
Shall I create a thread for judges for our region, in the case of an international, but outside the UN, dispute? I would like to have 3, so if more than 3 rulers would like to be judges, we'll poll and elect them? Good or bad idea?
The Republic of Centralis approves of this idea and would like to apply for a position on the tribunal.
Old December 26, 2002, 22:04   #53
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by aahz_capone

I am grateful that other nations realize my contempt for violent protesters.

I also resent being my people being called the "enslaved people the Imperial Republics". This is nothing but a savage lie. The UN has stated the poilitcal freedoms of the Imperial Republics as good, and they have average civil rights. Should you really wish to take a "holier than thou" stand, Head of State Osweld, there are numerous nations with below average civil righst and political freedoms.

These accusations are groundless and made to undermine my strong economy. I ask the international community for a ruling and extend the hand of freindship to Ubinia if it will cease and desist with it's destructive propoganda immediately.
"average", indeed! I'd hardly call the UN, a collection of imperialistic tyrants, a good judge of freedoms!

Do It Ourselves
Old December 26, 2002, 22:10   #54
aahz_capone
Prince

HALF?!!

Unacceptable! Those imprisoned were done under the rule of law and all had fair trial. They were charged with arson, destruction of public property and destruction of private property. They didn't even have a marching permit. These things exist for a reason you know.

Ubinia has no juristiction in the Imperial Republics and thus cannot dictate the actions of this sovereignity's juditiary. Surely the Int community can see that.

If Ubina was willing to pay bail for the criminals, that would be another matter entirely. As it is they all have 2 years soft labour with parole in 8 months.

I would appreciate any for of legit judging Head of State Drogue. If Ubinia will agree I propose that you lead the judging panel. If your panel rules in my favour than Ubinia will cease with thier interference disrupting civic life in F.I.R. and pay reperations for damadging the good name and reputation of FIR. If you rule in Ubinia's favour then I will release ALL the criminals on parole immediately.

Remeber, the option of bail is always open.

Lord Chancellor Aahz Capone
Old December 26, 2002, 22:14   #55
aahz_capone
Prince

Quote:

"average", indeed! I'd hardly call the UN, a collection of imperialistic tyrants, a good judge of freedoms!
OH! Did you hear THAT! What a give away! Disrespecting the Internation Communtiy! That's anarcho-speak that is! destabalizing propaganda! This is proof, gentlemen!
Old December 26, 2002, 22:14   #56
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:

Ubinia will not be the slaves of foreign tyrants, be it the UN or a regional court.

Do It Ourselves
Old December 26, 2002, 22:26   #57
aahz_capone
Prince

Quote:

Ubinia will not be the slaves of foreign tyrants, be it the UN or a regional court.
Heads of State Drogue and GeneralTacticus, it appears that although you have my support for pacific means of legit ruling, Head of State Osweld thinks otherwise.

I tried. I hope this foul episode does not blemmish my name. However it appears that Ubinia is slowly becoming a Rogue State by ignoring the Int community.
Old December 26, 2002, 22:37   #58
Drogue
staff

I have started a post for judges. What I propose is that if 2 nations wish for mediation, they say so, we have a case and they must abide by the ruling. However, in the event of a transgretion, we will have a case and a ruling, but unless both parties agree to it, the ruling will only be a suggestion (a nation is free to ignore it, but it will result in loss of face in the international community) and will be supplied to the UN if needed. Thereby allowing both mediation between states, and Libertarian states to ignore it if they wish.

Old December 26, 2002, 22:37   #59
SnowFire
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 08:16
Crime -- especially youth-related -- is well under control, thanks to the all-pervasive police force. Laguza's national animal is the azugal, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests, and its currency is the fnord.

Not for long! Those who might remember or seen old random stuff from the SMAC forums know that I'm a consumate Azugal hunter. And what luck when my first
issue allowed me to tackle that problem!

In a bid to provide a new revenue stream for Laguza's Beef-Based Agriculture industry, it has been suggested that azugals could be added to the menu.

The Debate
"The fact is, the azugal population is out of control," says Beef-Based Agriculture spokesperson Buffy Trax. "We have to do something about them anyway, so why not market them as tasty snacks? We could have azugal kebabs, azugal pies, azugal-on-a-sticks--the possibilities are endless! Let's not pass up this golden opportunity to provide a feast, if you will, for our economy."
Old December 26, 2002, 22:42   #60
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
I have started a post for judges. What I propose is that if 2 nations wish for mediation, they say so, we have a case and they must abide by the ruling. However, in the event of a transgretion, we will have a case and a ruling, but unless both parties agree to it, the ruling will only be a suggestion (a nation is free to ignore it, but it will result in loss of face in the international community) and will be supplied to the UN if needed. Thereby allowing both mediation between states, and Libertarian states to ignore it if they wish.

I wouldn't neccisarily be against a regional court acting as a mediator - so long as their dictates are not binding.

But, eitherway.... I will retire for the night and consider it more in the morning.

Do It Ourselves