Old July 8, 2003, 09:36   #151
aneeshm
King

Local Time: 18:48
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Excellent stuff . I have often thought that Mark and Dan could make a fortune just by selling strategy guides and short story collections they take from the forums . C'mon , write . We're all leaning over in anticipation .

Last edited by aneeshm; July 9, 2003 at 06:01.
Old July 8, 2003, 15:09   #152
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 14:18
Yeah get on with it East baby.
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old July 13, 2003, 18:58   #153
Easthaven I
Prince

Local Time: 07:18
Lands of Darkness
Second Battle of Ergili River
September 14th 1468AD
Battlefield- outside the gates of the Persian camp

“AHHHHHH!”

CLANK!

CLANK!

The din of battle deafened ears. The Russians routed almost immediately under the combined pressure of the two Persian armies. It was a melee, but a melee of slaughter. Eleazer’s cavalry combined with Belisarius and Datis’ cavalry arms circled the fighting, striking at any Russian soldiers trying to run and escape the call of death.

“Over there!” Belisarius cried out when he saw a small band of Russians frantically running away. He charged at them. Six others joined him in the pursuit. There were nearly twenty Russians. But they were so frightened they did not have an ounce of fighting spirit left. All purposeful thought escaped and all that they were now concerned with was surviving. Like a herd of sheep, fighting was no longer their frame of mind.

Belisarius reached the group first. He galloped in front of them and they all halted obediently and diverted their direction around the horseman. Finally the other cavalrymen arrived and proceeded to surround the flock of prey. Belisarius then charged in and began beheading the Russians with his scimitar that he had gotten many years ago in some past war or expedition. Soon, all twenty Russians littered the ground as corpses.

“ Resume your work!” Belisarius ordered. They dispersed as they hastily galloped back to their job of patrolling the onslaught.

Cornelius’ Persians, as wounded and exhausted as they were, fought with a new found energy. They could smell the victory in the air. The stench of sweat, piss, and blood on the battlefield was sweet to them as they were fully aware it was not their own. The pain from their wounds escaped them as they fought along side their brothers in arms and newly arrived brothers as they felt the fresh feeling of victory nearing.

“AHHHHHAHAHA!” a battle axe swept the air chopping a Russian’s midsection like a lumberjack cutting down a tree. It was Lord Eleazer, he had finally come to the call of his sworn brothers.

He swung his axe above his head like a lasso and brought it down upon another Russian. Blood splattered and added to his already blood soaked beard. Lord Eleazer was definitely the loudest of the three. He shouted and hollered curses like a madman. A very intimidating man even in such an environment as a battlefield. He lacked the finesse Cornelius and Fornalin had at warfare, but he still got the job done yielding his axe like a lumberjack and charging at groups of men like an insane bull.

Philip’s eyes were wide despite the blood and sweat seeping into them. He gripped his shortsword, his gift from Fornalin, like his life depended on it…which it did. A Russian charged at him, after searching for the easiest target he could find…and a wide-eyed 19 year old seemed perfect.

Philip grunted as he blocked the Russian’s sword in the air and pushed him away. The Russian charged again and Philip again blocked the strike this time kicking the man in the groin. The Russian heaved over giving Philip the open shot of slashing the Russian across the face, sending him to the earth.

His muscles ached, he breathed heavily and his heart drummed rapidly. But he fought on. Pavil no more than 10 feet away.

It began to rain again. But the din of battle decreased as the Russian numbers dwindled. Soon Persians were facing Persians and it became a task to find a Russian face to cut and maim. Then a sole blood-stained longsword pointed towards the sky. This usually meant a commander ordering a rally but in this circumstance it meant VICTORY!…which the cheers and cries of the victorious armies confirmed.

================

OOC: A little somethin somethin. Sorry for the wait, I was MIA for a bit. I had such a good audience, too. I'll try to get some more up, just that this story is big, i got fornalin's theatre, cornelius' theatre, soon another new theatre, and ahem another... big plans but no fuel.
Old July 13, 2003, 21:29   #154
Paulypav
Warlord

Local Time: 13:18
I can handle a little taste in anticipation of a greater feast later.

Great work as always.

Can understand what you mean, I've written part of my next part to my own story, but haven't had time to finish it and post it.
Old July 13, 2003, 21:42   #155
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Thank God your back!!
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old July 14, 2003, 23:08   #156
Easthaven I
Prince

Lands of Darkness
Fornalin Unmasked
September 15th 1468AD
Russian Fort Kiersk

He tried to hold it in, show no emotion…but at times he could not help it. The pain was unbearable and at times his screams would fill the night. But he remained as he always was. His head became clearer each day. Each hour he slowly began to be reborn as the King of War. Throughout the torture he remained Et Overvinna Nago…his name spoke true. He would get out, he must see his wife again for he began to truly convince himself that her life was spared.

“He is not like anyone I have ever tortured. His spirit is beyond divine. He has not even told us his name.” The Russian interrogator said to the Russian commander, out of earshot of Fornalin as he hung by his wrists.

“Keep trying. If he remains in defiance we will kill him.”

“Yes my lord.”

The officer turned and began to walk…

“You wish to know my name?” Fornalin spoke.

The Russian commander turned in a renewed interest.

“Yes, I do.” He said as he approached Fornalin and stood but a foot in front.

Fornalin spat in his face and laughed.

“Ha. You are not worthy. But I shall tell.”

The Russian wiped the saliva from his face, refraining from beating the Persian.

“MY name!” Fornalin said in a sigh. “ Is Et Overvinna Nago. Et Magnata Krigo. Fornalin Varha. I am a soldier. Captain of the infamous Immortals. Friend of the Norsemen. Son of a line of great Kings. And I myself, the next in line…but not the last. Once a reluctant Prince but now a reluctant King. But a King I am. A King on my rightful throne, I shall be.” He then stared into the Russian’s eyes with a renewed fury as he realized he could be the last king, for his son…his heir…was murdered.

The Russian commander, Suvorov, showed no emotion. He did not believe him but a part of him did just by the unwavering glare of the nude man hanging by his wrists. After many days of constant torture and exhaustion he still showed an undying strength and will in his eyes.

“Hmph. And why were you in some insignificant village? Instead of out on the battlefield leading your army?” the Russian asked.

Fornalin’s eyes went out of focus as he remembered it all. Guilt began to seep through his spirit as he felt he abandoned his men, but that guilt vanished as he remembered the face of his beloved wife. He wasn’t defeated by the torture, but willingly chose to speak for he decided the best way for escape was in transportation. If they knew of his importance the Czar of Russia himself would wish to see him.

“It is quite the tale. Let me down and I shall tell you everything.” They did as he asked. And he began to tell them everything, leaving out many details that were irrelevant to his goal or danger to the freedom warriors.

The Russo commander was convinced. And pleased indeed to have the most valuable man of Russian interest in his possession, especially once news of the battles of Ergili River and the destruction of Bera’s army reached the Russian ranks across the countryside and the Kremlin.

=====

OOC: still smallish and no epicness yet...
Old July 14, 2003, 23:10   #157
Easthaven I
Prince

thanks fellers for the comments!

Good to be back, Chrisius. And good to see you, bro.

Hang in there Pauly, it ain't even close to completion, much action is to be anticipated, indeed...
Old July 15, 2003, 22:46   #158
Samuel Johnson
Warlord

Local Time: 09:18
You should consider rewriting the beginning and submitting it as a historical alternative-history novel.

I have read other published work that is much lesser.

Chris is right though you need an editor.
Old July 15, 2003, 23:17   #159
Easthaven I
Prince

You really think it has that much potential, Sam? Thanks bro. I guess I could rewrite some names and such to make it more realistic or maybe totally make up the land, world, nations to complete fiction.

I'll definately consider it, thank you.
Old September 29, 2003, 23:57   #160
Easthaven I
Prince

Lands of Darkness
Cornelius and Eleazer
September 15th, 1468AD
Persian Camp, Ergili River

It stopped raining. Gray clouds kept the world in shade. The sun remained absent. The ground was mud and water and blood and flesh. The Russians were dead. The prisoners that were taken were slaughtered. The two Persian armies combined and became disorganized. It was a time for resting and burying the Persian dead, there was no order. But for now, it was tolerable. The impossible was made possible and the Persian odds shifted ever so slightly.

Cornelius made his way towards where he was told Eleazer was.

Lord Eleazer was standing, talking to one of his subordinates. Then he turned and saw Cornelius just as he halted. They stared in silence for an eternity. As if telling each other their stories through their eyes. The presence of these two great men was magnificent. Energy and motivation flowed from their pores and would boil the blood of any man near them. Even in their bloodstained, dirt-ridden, ragged state they looked like gallant knights, or at least men of enormous power. Yet when they spoke with one another they were as if teenagers.

Cornelius walked towards Eleazer. Niether sharing anything more than a blank expression. Cornelius halted within inches of Eleazer’s face. He then sniffed Eleazer’s beard.

“You smell like a pig.” Cornelius stated.

“Yes…well you look like one.” Eleazer growled in his gruffy voice.

A smile crept upon Cornelius’ face. Eleazer exploded in laughter, sending spittle upon Cornelius.

Both bellowed in laughter, ignoring the extra pain the laughter ignited from their wounds.

They embraced one another like brothers.

“Eleazer! My brother, it has been an eternity!”

“Haha! I’ve lived a thousand lifetimes since the last I saw your ugly face! A welcoming, though frightening, sight indeed.” Eleazer joked, “Where is Fornalin?”

Cornelius’ smile faded.

“We have to talk, my friend.” He said as he patted Eleazer on the shoulder.

“Yes, I know.”

“Come, to the command tent.”

They began walking through the camp towards the Command Post.

“What has befallen our good friend?” asked Eleazer.

“I wish I knew, Eleazer. He left for his family on the 10th day of April,” They arrived at the tent. Cornelius opened the curtain of the entrance way, “and has not returned since.”

Eleazer shook his head before he entered the tent, followed by Cornelius.

“His son is dead, Eleazer.” Cornelius said as he sat down behind his desk, Eleazer sat also. “A small grave was found at his home…or…where his home was, for it was burned to the ground. Him and his wife were not found.”

Eleazer shook his head again.

“Do you think he was captured, Cornelius?” he asked.

“I do not know what to think. It would take an immense amount of luck to capture Fornalin. A part of me hopes he was captured because if he wasn’t…then that would mean he is out on his own free will and by his own free will he chooses not to return. And that disheartens me greatly.” Cornelius said in disappointment.

“Do not say such a ridiculous thing my brother. If he could return I am sure he would, and I am sure he will. Have faith, my friend, you worry like a young lad’s pampering mother. And you know I am just noticing, you look like one, too!” he laughed, trying to cheer up his friend. His mood calmed as he stared at his friend in concern of what the pressures have been dealing upon his sworn brother. “You have been doing an outstanding job as sole commander, Cornelius. I understand the pressure you must feel of bearing this burden alone. But I assure you, alone you are not any longer. I am her, and I shall share this burden with you.” He encouraged as he leaned forward.

“Thank you, Eleazer. That would be most helpful, indeed.” Cornelius took a swig from his leather canteen.

“I mean, surely together we make at least a, what, prince of war, eh brother. Until the big bad King of War returns, it should do. Eh? Haha.” Eleazer walked over to Cornelius and began hitting him on the shoulder like a teenage sibling.

“Yes, very well. Prince of war, indeed. Together we’ll make war like no other, until Fornalin returns.” Cornelius said, tolerating the constant hits to his shoulder.

“Haha, yes. And then the three of us will bring the likes of a war the world has never seen! Those ugly easterners will be crying to their mothers in piss-soaked underpants! Eh brother, eh?” he said giving Cornelius one last bruiser before storming out full of energy.

“Heh. Yes, Eleazer. I look forward to such a day.” Cornelius shook his head with a smile as he sat down to bandage his legs.

==============================================

OOC: A little somthin somthin to get myself back in the groove. I'm going to reread the story a couple of times to get into again. Hopefully others are able to get into it again as well...
Old September 30, 2003, 00:54   #161
vovan
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV CreatorsSporeApolyton Storywriters' GuildC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The Horde
Emperor

Hey, East, great to see you back in the writer's saddle. Admittedly, I don't remember this story very well - the only thing I recall is being quite amazed by its quality. So, I've read this latest chapter, and I like. But I do, like you, need to go back and reread the whole thing - not the fastest task, given the length of this piece - but I assure you, you will hear more constructive comments from me when I'm through.
Spore page
Old September 30, 2003, 12:18   #162
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

Sweet stuff East Baby, I hope Our Fornalin can escape and find out whats happened to his missus.

I know its pot calling kettle but I wish you would get back in the groove and stay there, man I love this story and if it were to be published as a novel Id buy the first one of the press
Old September 30, 2003, 22:08   #163
Easthaven I
Prince

Thanks fellas, your comments are appreciated, respected and valued. The compliments are very cool.

I know its a long piece and it takes me hours to read through the whole thing, I printed it out on 10 sized font and its 90 pages long and ain't even close to being done. But done it shall be.
Old October 1, 2003, 12:43   #164
vovan
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV CreatorsSporeApolyton Storywriters' GuildC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The Horde
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Easthaven I
I know its a long piece and it takes me hours to read through the whole thing, I printed it out on 10 sized font and its 90 pages long and ain't even close to being done. But done it shall be.
Quite a monumental piece, this. Great job keeping it up, East. You've been able to keep your own interest in this and our interest as well.

Yeah, I just finished reading through the whole thing, and I am amazed how this whole thing is coming together. A truly great job.
Spore page
Old October 5, 2003, 16:20   #165
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

Any more coming
Old October 6, 2003, 07:11   #166
Tempor
Settler

Hey East!!

Just read the final chapter. Great job man! Excellent as usual. I have made a combilation of the whole thing and I was hoping to continue my collection.

Keep up the good work dude, and alas for what will (hopefully) befell on the Russians...
Old October 15, 2003, 19:22   #167
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

More please
Old October 15, 2003, 19:43   #168
vovan
Emperor

Yeah, East, you know what time it is? It's time to ship some more goods.
Spore page
Old October 17, 2003, 21:54   #169
TheGuitarist
Warlord

Local Time: 08:18
I'm so glad you're finally continuing this story. I've been reading it from the first post, WAY back in the day, and it's gotten better and better.

Everything is awesome, especially the battle scenes. I agree with Chrisius, if this were ever published as a novel I would buy like five copies and tell all my friends.

Keep it up, and soon!!
Old November 14, 2003, 00:16   #170
Easthaven I
Prince

I know its late, but I haven't had one ounce of spare time but with the spare time I had I did write. I'm pretty caught up, and have decided to post two sections in the span of every three days, so about two sets of two every week. This way I get a chance to take my time to write while I already have the goods ready to go, and still have a chance to edit and stuff. This way I'm always ahead of the game and you guys are not waiting anymore. So I have about eight installments on its way to get posted up, but I won't post them until they're scheduled to. Here's two installments, alrighty then, thanks for your patience. The next set of two will come this weekend. I hope my absence didn't piss you guys off and turn you off from the story.
Old November 14, 2003, 00:18   #171
Easthaven I
Prince

Lands of Darkness
Prelude to March on Persepolis
September 16, 1468AD
Persian Camp, Ergili River

“We’ve had enough time to recuperate, Eleazer.” Cornelius said as he sat, contemplating the next turn of events, “It is time we decamp and move out.”

“Yes, you told me yesterday. But pray, tell me we are going to Persepolis.” The mountain man urged as he leaned forward in anticipation.

Cornelius met Eleazer’s gaze as a grin appeared on his face, “We march on Persepolis.”

“Heheh, yes my brother. Now we shall take this war to a new level.” Eleazer said in satisfaction.

Just then, Belisarius entered the tent.

“General Belisarius, reporting as ordered, my lord.” He said as he stood at attention.

“Yes…how are you Belisarius?” Cornelius asked.

“I am good, Captain General. More than ready to kill plenty of more Russians, my lord.” He said with a slight grin and twinkle in the eye.

“Good. Send the order for the camp to pack up and be ready for march by noon. You will be in charge of the advanced guard and scouts. Eleazer is allowing 2,000 of his cavalry to be placed under your command, along with 1,000 of our own. Be sure to have your best riders scout ahead. Once you are ready you may move out, but keep within an hour’s march of us. We make for the Ergili Pass.” Cornelius ordered.

“Yes my lord.”

Cornelius nodded. “You’ll do fine, General. You’re dismissed.”

Belisarius saluted and exited.

“He’s turned out to be one hell of a commander, Cornelius.” Eleazer said after Belisarius departed.

“Yes he has, Eleazer. And you do not have to say it. I know and remember.” Cornelius lifted his hand and looked away, towards the map on his table.

After a slight pause, Eleazer interrupted the silence with a grin, “I told you so.”

Suddenly, the tent entrance opened once again as the morning sun unexpectedly shined through. Its face momentarily escaping the cloak of the shadow of the storm.

“General Datis reporting, sir.” Datis articulated as he stood at attention, much like his comrade moments ago.

“Datis, you commanded superbly in battle, well done.”

“Thank you, my lord.”

“No severe wounds, I hope?”

“No, Captain General. Nothing more worse than the wounds I received as a child.”

Cornelius smiled and nodded.

“That is good, Datis, that is good. Eleazer is allowing 1,000 of his cavalry to be placed under your command along with the 400 already under you. You will be in charge of protecting and scouting our flanks. Do you have any requests or needs for your men?” Cornelius asked.

“No, sir.”

“Good, we march on Persepolis today, Datis. Get your men ready.”

“Yes my lord.”

“Oh yes, and could you send Hasduman in here on your way out.”

“Yes.”

Hasduman soon entered after Datis’ departure.

“Hasduman, my friend. I would like you to command the Immortals. It’s usually the job of my own under Fornalin, but it would be better to place the command unto you for detail. 200 of them will remain as my guard with you at my side. 100 will be placed as a branch of Belisarius’ cavalry arm, while remaining under your command. The other 100 should be placed with the foot soldiers, to instill more discipline and moral.”

“Yes, Cornelius. As you wish.”

Hasduman bowed and turned towards the door. Then nodded to Eleazer, “Mr. Phoenix, always a pleasure.” He winked and walked out.

Eleazer laughed.

“Hahaha. I love Hasduman, always does he bring laughter to my soul. Hahaha!”
Old November 14, 2003, 00:19   #172
Easthaven I
Prince

Lands of Darkness
Departure from Fort Kiersk
September 16th, 1468AD
Russian Fort Kiersk, (southwest of and near Arbela)

“eighty-eight…eighty-nine…ninety…” Fornalin counted, each time his head came up above the water.

After he had told his captors about himself, they stopped the torture and began feeding him regularly. Though, the amount of rice, bread and water given was still nothing to brag about. But he knew how to ration it and he regained his muscle tone. His strength returned with a new rekindled flame, his mind was focused and sharper than any blade he ever wielded. He exercised enough to keep his muscle tone but not overly done to the extent that his body used up more energy than the nutrients that he received daily could provide. But never did he show the guards or interrogator his regaining strength, ever was he weak when they were around to be witness. And now the day had come…

“one hundred five…one hundred six…eh” he gasped as he did the last push up. He sat back against the wall, in the water and in the dark.

Then the door to his cell opened with a moan. Three men stood in the entrance, the middle one with a torch in his hand. Fornalin’s eyes adjusted as he noticed the middle man was Suvorov, the Russian Commander.

“The time has come for your departure, Persian king. Archduke Frederick has ordered your immediate deliverance to Moscow.”

Each guard waded through the water and shackled Fornalin’s hands and feet. They grabbed him on each side and began dragging him through the door. Suvorov led the way through the passage ways, Fornalin, dragged by the two guards, followed behind.

They finally emerged from the dungeons and made their way to the Fort entrance, where a company of Russian soldiers awaited them. Nearly two hundred and fifty did they number. They approached a wagon in the middle, it was roofless but with bars protruding its perimeter like a portable prison cell.

“Put him in there.” Suvorov barked.

Without much care, they threw the Persian king into the wagon and locked the gate. Fornalin, pretending to be on the verge of unconsciousness, peeked about unnoticeably. He noticed ten other Persians, shackled together in a line, five on each of his flank. Marcus Brancus among them.

“Kalish, you make sure this man gets to Persepolis safely. There you will give him to Captain Zhuko, he will take him the rest of the way to Moscow, by order of Archduke Frederick.” Suvorov said to a younger Russian commander, presumably the man in charge of the transportation operation.

“Yes, my lord. But why was it not an order of the King? But instead from his grandson?” Kalish replied.

Suvorov lowered his voice, “It seems the King has taken ill. He is quite old, ninety-five years I believe. Besides, it isn’t any of your concern of where the order came from, but from a man more important than yourself.”

“Yes, my lord.” Kalish said as he turned towards another Russian, “Captain, ready your company, we move out.”

Suvorov walked over towards Fornalin and gripped one of the bars, “You are quite lucky if you fall into the hands of the Archduke rather than the King. The old man would probably castrate you and make you suffer a thousand times worse than any torture we put you through. But the Archduke seems more prudent and wise, and although I don’t like his lack of…what’s the word…fortitude, I do believe he will find a way to use you as a pawn to help him defeat his enemies. That, I must admit, is a strength of his. He is no fool, and reckless he knows not.”
The Fort Kiersk commander then walked away, back to his duties.

The gates were opened, and the company began its march.
Old November 14, 2003, 00:34   #173
Easthaven I
Prince

Major Roads of Persia and Fort Kiersk location...
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	landsofdarknesspersiaroads2.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	57226  
Old November 15, 2003, 01:34   #174
vovan
Emperor

W00t! More goods from good ol' East?

I like the quality, the quantity, and the map. Keep it up.
Spore page
Old November 15, 2003, 06:16   #175
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

its good to see you back , great addittions nicely leading us to the continuation of this superb story
Old November 16, 2003, 01:35   #176
Easthaven I
Prince

Lands of Darkness
Archduke Frederick
September 19th, 1468AD
The Kremlin, Moscow

King Alexander sat under a gazebo drinking tea with his three grandsons: Prince Konev, Archduke Memel, and Archduke Frederick. The two elder grandsons sat on each side of their grandfather, while Frederick leaned on the gazebo to the side. King Alexander was very old, yet still remained more coherent than expected of a man of his age. His eldest grandson was the heir, for Alexander outlived his own son. It is a wonder how such a cruel ruler could live so long and reign without contest or defeat. King Alexander took the throne at age 17 and began his conquests. A brilliant conqueror he was, but a merciless one. He was impulsive and arrogant. He thought himself superior to all and seemed to think that other people of the world were created to bend to his will and serve him without question. This is why his two eldest sons were always his favorites for they possessed the same mentality, and Frederick was his ‘misguided’ grandson who he always hoped would change to his liking. Frederick was always the outcast of the family, his personality seemed to have come from another gene pool entirely. He was the only prudent, patient, man of calculation of the family. He even looked different for his hair was dark and he was the tall, while his brothers’ hair were golden and their height stunted.

But his grandfather would never take his life, nor banish him for hope of that change. Frederick remained a man of power much like his brothers, but that would soon change at the death of the king and the enthronement of his brother, for they swore to end his life when the kingship was theirs.

Although his own family did not like him, everybody else did. His personality had a humble charm that others just couldn’t bring themselves to hate or dislike. His never-ending talents of mind and body brought earned respect, and his modesty bought loyalty.

“Eck…this tea is too sweet!” King Alexander spurted out as he coughed.

“I will bring another cup, Grandfather.” Prince Konev said, as he waved to a servant.

“I’ve been King for over three-quarters of a century, you would think they can get it right by now.” King Alexander said under his golden gray beard.

“Yes, I know.” Archduke Memel agreed.

“So what news of the rebels in Persia?” The king asked as he squinted at his tea.

“We do not yet rightly know, Grandfather. We know there has been a battle on the other side of the Ergili Mountains, but we have not yet received word from General Bera or of the results of the battle.” Prince Konev replied before sipping his cup of tea.

The servant arrived replacing the king’s cup of tea with another, as the seated grandsons gave him dirty looks.

King Alexander suddenly erupted in a spasm of coughing ending in him coughing up blood to the side. He breathed deeply as he wiped his mouth.

“Are you alright, Grandfather.” One of his favorite grandsons said as they moved to aid him. Frederick remained unmoved as he leaned on the post, watching.

“I’m fine! Let me be.” King Alexander barked as he pushed them away. They sat back down, somewhat hurt. “I have never lost a battle, I will not lose one to age!”

Just then a soldier came up with a message in his hand.

“A message from the front, your majesty.” The soldier said as he bowed nearly to his knees. He presented the slip of paper, Archduke Memel, being the closest, grabbed it.

“You are dismissed.” Prince Konev ordered the soldier. The soldier departed as quickly as he had arrived.

Everyone waited as Memel read the note, all waiting in anticipation and curiosity. Frederick raised an eyebrow with a renewed interest.

“Well! What does it say, Memel.” King Alexander said in between coughs.

Memel’s eyes widened in shock, his facial expression slowly changing as his eyes moved across the message. He finally finished and looked up to his grandfather, seemingly in fear.

“General Bera’s army…it has been destroyed.” Memel said, “the Persian army remains intact and in fact stronger than anticipated.”

“What! Give me that!” Prince Konev yanked the slip from his brother’s hands and began reading it to confirm.

King Alexander’s face began to turn pink.

“How does a professional experienced army, “King Alexander began, his voice raising with each syllable, “get annihilated by a smaller rebel force! Persians, I might add! The same people…no no…weaker than the people who buckled under our will a couple of decades ago!” he swept the cups of tea off the table, sending them crashing to the earth. He began coughing again.

Frederick remained unmoved as he watched.

“Find out who is responsible for this! Tell me the rebel leader’s name, I want his head!” he exclaimed.

“He is Fornalin Varha.” The outcast spoke.

The King’s temper cooled, and his attention shifted to his youngest grandson, the man who never seemed to do anything his way...the ‘right’ way.

“What?” The king asked.

“He is the leader. The heir to the Persian throne. The youngest son of King Elias. The man, who like you, has never lost a battle. Well…until recently.” Frederick said.

King Alexander sat silently until a cough erupted from his throat. “Ahem…how do you know this, Frederick?” he asked.

“I know this because our men have captured him. At this very moment he is on his way here.” Frederick answered as he shifted his weight off of the post he was leaning on.

“heh…it is about time you do something right Frederick. Well done.” King Alexander smiled. “I shall take pleasure in his torture.”

The other grandsons merely held a blank expression as a sting of jealousy hit them. But they kept their cool. They just had to wait a little longer for the old man to croak, and with him Frederick would go, too.

“I was merely doing the logical.” Frederick said, regretting telling his grandfather the news, but in relief that he did not tell him about another important and influential person he had in his secret custody.

King Alexander erupted into another spasm of coughing out blood.

“Grandfather, you should rest.” Prince Konev pleaded, his brother nodding in agreement.

“You are right. I think I shall go back to my bed chamber. But before I go, be sure to prepare reinforcements to send to General Malenko, I want his wave to be the last and I want it to wipe Persia out of existence. Something we should have done long ago.” King Alexander was then lead back by Memel.

Frederick remained where he stood. Prince Konev stood on the other side of the gazebo, glaring at his brother.

“Brother, you should have told us about the Persian captive. Do you think you’re better than us? It sure seems so. You think you’re so noble and good, you are a disgrace and should not have the power of even a servant. But I swear to you, you will not hold so much power when I become King and you best bow down to me then.” He then began walking off.

Frederick finally moved, he reached out and grabbed Konev’s arm with a hurtful grip and pulled him close.

“You’re wrong. I don’t think I’m better than you, I AM better than you. And do not think for a second that I will ever bow down to you! For if I ever do, it will be to spit on your rotting carcass.” He whispered in his brother’s ear.

He loosened his grip for a second then tightened it again to whisper a last remark.

“And do not call me brother…ever.” He then pushed him away. He stared at Konev with the eyes of an enemy.

Konev began walking away. “You will regret having said that once Grandfather has died. You will regret many things, my younger brother.” He was soon gone from the garden, Frederick stood alone.

The King looked out his window and witnessed the whole event. “Poor Frederick, not a clue do you have of your fate once I am gone. It is a shame your spirit is so weak that your own brothers will take your life after my death. Such a weak, soft, man you are, too kind to people you should rule, and too foolish with people you should serve. You would not have lived to manhood, if it weren’t for the protection of your King. It may be best for you to die, and let my kingdom be led by the hard.” King Alexander shook his head in disappointment as he went to his bed, and laid to sleep…for the last time.
Old November 16, 2003, 05:45   #177
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

Lovely simply lovely stuff East
Old November 16, 2003, 23:57   #178
unscratchedfoot
Prince

Local Time: 22:18
Yes, very peachy to be sure. Good stuff to the East.

More grease to your elbow.
Old November 20, 2003, 06:25   #179
Tempor
Settler

it appears that the "peach" speech has gone down in the books of history; right scratchy?

East, excellent work, as always. I'm so glad you continue with the story. Keep up the good work dude!
Old January 11, 2004, 17:58   #180
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

East baby where are you, dont leave us hanging on like this man, its excrutiating

BTW Fight for Freedom's finished up, I would appreciate your thoughts and critique